Buy your booze here early or never!

Binney

If you are looking to buy booze here, you cannot just buy it and carry it. It MUST be shipped to your ship and they have a cut-off time for that service. BUY EARLY!;)

I really wanted to get some "Big Black Dick" rum and thought I could just carry it back. NOPE...and not one store would break the rules, even for $$$!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a stupid question, but here it goes anyway......

I keep reading posts about buying alcohol on GC. Why? Is it better here? Cheaper? I don't understand the priority. Does this count toward your total bottles you can bring back into the U.S.? Thanks for the help!

I think it is related to being duty free. Just like the duty free shops in the airports where you must display your boarding pass to make a duty free purchase, on Grand Cayman you must either be in the airport leaving or they will deliver to your ship.

Cash & carry liquor in Grand Cayman is quite expensive, I have heard.

I would check the prices in the duty free shop on your ship before going on a liquor shopping spree. For a buck or two difference, I'd rather just buy on the ship. Unless, of course, it is a product you can only buy on Grand Cayman.

The tourist liquour stores are duty free, which is why you can't just carry out the door - has to be delivered to your ship or plane. Liquor to be consumed on the island is heavily taxed.

All the Duty Free shops don't charge tax so they only sell to tourists, and to ensure such they only deliver to the boats. Just purchase on the boat as it is not worth the headache to save 1 or 2 dollars. However, if you venture inland a bit you can find a local cash and carry, but as previously mentioned it is quite expensive. A 6 pack of beer, none domestic in GC, is about $10. Still cheaper than on the boat. :cool:

All the Duty Free shops don't charge tax so they only sell to tourists, and to ensure such they only deliver to the boats. Just purchase on the boat as it is not worth the headache to save 1 or 2 dollars. However, if you venture inland a bit you can find a local cash and carry, but as previously mentioned it is quite expensive. A 6 pack of beer, none domestic in GC, is about $10. Still cheaper than on the boat. :cool:

Ahem - Stingray beer is local and not bad... :)

http://www.stingraybrewery.com/

Happened to us in March. To late to order. We went last week and brought back 4 btls.It cost more than the reg name brands but was worth novelty. It does count towed your 1 liter per person. It is only 750 ml so you still have 250 to spare. We found some other rums as well in the same store for under $10 a liter.

Happened to us in March. To late to order. We went last week and brought back 4 btls.It cost more than the reg name brands but was worth novelty. It does count towed your 1 liter per person. It is only 750 ml so you still have 250 to spare. We found some other rums as well in the same store for under $10 a liter.

How much was the BBD rum? I will be down there next week and would like a bottle or two.

If you are interested in purchasing liquor to pack and carry back onboard for consumption during the remainder of your cruise, DO NOT go to a duty free shop. Simply ask directions to the nearest liquor store frequented by locals. We were running low on the Tanqueray supply in our cabin, so we purchased another 5th while in port and carried back on board with no problems.:p :p

If you are looking to buy booze here, you cannot just buy it and carry it. It MUST be shipped to your ship and they have a cut-off time for that service. BUY EARLY!;)

I really wanted to get some "Big Black Dick" rum and thought I could just carry it back. NOPE...and not one store would break the rules, even for $$$!:eek:

Wish i new this last Nov. Wanted to get a couple bottles of rum for people at work. they wouldn't even sell me the small bottles.

Archived