Is it true you have to pay to swim in a pool on the Star?

mar326

I also agree that if they didn't charge for this pool in Alaska that it would be too busy to use.

Our experience last summer while on the Star in Alaska was no charge for the use of the spa pool. We used it everyday, sometimes twice and the most we ever encountered was 2-3 others. So, it was never crowded but maybe it was just our week. However, even in warm climate itineraries we found the same to be true that this area was hardly used. We could never figure it out because to us, it was one of the most peaceful, uncrowded area of the entire ship.

I agree with CuisinfromMN. It is very quiet and peaceful in the spa area. I do know the weather has been very cool in Alaska this spring, hence the charge for using the 'warm' pool, maybe.:rolleyes:

I agree with the previous 2 posters. The spa/pool/sauna/steam area was like a little bit of heaven everyday. My daughter and I usually went twice a day- it was our bonding time! There was never more than 2-3 others using these facilities so I can't imagine it being an overcrowding issue. They were also strict about being 18 and older and checked my daughters ID each time we went.

I would be very disappointed if they continue the practice of charging for the use of this area. As much as we enjoyed it, I don't think I would pay- then it becasome something you HAVE to do rather than something you WANT to do.

I am looking at some other cruiselines for our next cruise and am noticing that several of them are now charging for the previously free facilities. I like to have some "a la carte" items but this is getting ridiculous.

I know they charge on the Jewel and did for about a month on the Dawn.

I understand it on the Jewel but not the Dawn or the Star. The public areas are very small on the Jewel no indoor pool. Cruising out of NYC every winter on the Dawn it was rare to find the pool and seating area crowded.

Perhaps the change is in place for two reasons. First revenue to cover the expense of staffing the area and second to dramatically reduce the cost. One thing I did notice on the Dawn lots of people dropped in for a few minutes only. There may have only been 30 people at one time but 100s of passengers using 100s of towels and services during a day.

The other thing this might control is the hazards to navigation :D The lap pool is there to swim laps but it is not uncommon to have a group of 5 or 6 decide it is their place to stand and wade for the afternoon gab fest.:eek:

All that aside I can't agree with restricting the area on the Dawn or Star.

You are correct shoreguy. I like to do laps and you cannot possibly do those in the outside pools,there is too much activity going on there. I hope this policy changes before I head to Alaska. It is such a good form of exercise for me. But after the price of the cruise and shore excursions I cannot justify paying extra to use the Spa pool.

I just got off the Dawn 5/20 cruise. The spa pool & hot tubs were free for 18 yrs & older only & it was almost empty everytime we went. I guess because we had great weather. The Oasis pool was packed all day & you could hardly stand in it. I don't understand how a ship with 2000 guests was constructed with such a small out door pool? They have so many bars,theaters, resturants and only one small pool. One day we got up early & reserved two lounge chairs & spent about 4 hours in the sun by the pool. It was so hot no one was in the hot tubs. We went to the indoor pool to cool off & it was very quiet (no music) & relaxful & a great view of the rear of the ship.

I guess things change week to week as we just got off the Dawn this morning and there was a $15 per day or $60 per week charge for use of the spa pools. However, if you have a spa treatment you can use the facilites for free for the day. They said they had to impliment the change because there were too many people in there making too much noise.

I seem to recall that the same policy was in place years ago for using the spa pool on SS Norway. Same reason -- fewer people means less noise. Someone correct me if my memory is mistaken -- but I'm pretty certain there was a moderate charge per day or for the week, and that a free day pass was given if you had a spa treatment.

Of course, this wasn't a swimming pool, and I gather the one on Norwegian Star isn't either. There were two swimming pools on deck.

Just returned from the Dawn, a charge of $11.00 a day was imposed for use of the spa pool. The Oasis pool is small and security is not doing their job inforcing the rules posted by Norwegian. The waiters are serving drinks in the pool and jacuzies. On two of our sea days the Oasis pool was closed for pool games for extended periods, I understand people enjoy these activities but feel NCL should make the spa pool available, free of their service charge.

Just returned from the Star and yes there was a $15 charge per day per person (or $60 for the week) to use the pool in the spa area. There is not a charge to use the sauna/steamroom however.

We paid the $ and there we never say more than 6 people using the facilities at the same time we were. It was a very peaceful, relaxing little haven.

Just returned from the Dawn, a charge of $11.00 a day was imposed for use of the spa pool. The Oasis pool is small and security is not doing their job inforcing the rules posted by Norwegian. The waiters are serving drinks in the pool and jacuzies. On two of our sea days the Oasis pool was closed for pool games for extended periods, I understand people enjoy these activities but feel NCL should make the spa pool available, free of their service charge.

So the same folks who break the rules can stand in the middle of the lap pool making it unusable for others. That I think is the reason they put the fee in place

Archived