Child's Photo ID ?

travelling fools

Unless you are travelling somewhere that requires a passport (family passport for young children), then you should be okay with a birth certificate. We have id cards from school, even preschool, and have brought them but never needed them. Just in case, you may want to call your cruiseline or TA.

Not sure what line you're on. On Carnival, we've used passports to board, but were told we only needed picture ID getting off/on the ship at ports for adults. We didn't carry the kid's passports, and had no issues...

Happy cruising!

I'd recommend getting a passport. We finally got them for our kids last year and I find that it's so much easier to check in at airports, cruises and at ports with them.

Starting 12/31/06, even Canada and Mexico will be requiring passports for persons entering those countries by air and sea travel, and on 12/31/07 that requirement will extend to land travel as well.

I'd recommend getting a passport. We finally got them for our kids last year and I find that it's so much easier to check in at airports, cruises and at ports with them.

Starting 12/31/06, even Canada and Mexico will be requiring passports for persons entering those countries by air and sea travel, and on 12/31/07 that requirement will extend to land travel as well.

I have to agree. Eventually everyone will be required to have a passport for travel. Getting one now only makes sense. One less thing to worry about when traveling with children and works as a "photo ID" anywhere. No one will ever question the reliability of a passport as ID.

(family passport for young children)

Just an FYI -- there is no longer any such thing as a "Family Passport"; as stated on the US State Department web site (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html), "All children, regardless of age (including newborns and infants) must have their own passport"

The US followed the same standard that started appearing world wide in the 90's of "one person, one passport".

When we went to Cancun ( not a cruise ) with our then 4 month old passports still werent required. We just felt better, especially since he was an infant that we have photo proof that he was our child ( mostly for the return trip). So we went to the drivers license office and got him a NON driver License. It was $12 and gave me great peace of mind. It also makes an awesome keepsake LOL. I'm going to do the same with my other kids when we fly to Hawaii for our PAOh cruise in August. They are all excited about that ofcourse. Husband has some of those name badge thingies that you can pull out ( like a tape measure) that we can hook them too and they can keep them hidden away but pull them out easily ( and hopefully not lose them).

Tracy

We are leaving on the Spirt in July. My son will be 14 months. I did not see the value in getting the passport for this trip being that he is so young and constantly changing. I know that he will eventually need a passport because it will be a requirement. For this trip, we are bringing his birth certificate and just today I went to our local DMV office and got him a non-driver ID card made...cost $10. It is a little piece of mind to have a photo ID of him also with us.

Archived