Men's Dress Code!

kingsrx

On one of the formal nights we were lucky enough to be asked to the Captains table for dinner - one of the other guests arrived at the table in a t-shirt and slacks - now I would have been quite happy to ask him to leave and come back properly dressed!

It just proves my theory of the deterioration of conduct and manners on cruises.

Actually, I would have said something, and If they were allowed to be seated I would have left stating my dissapointment with the adhearance to the code. It's not worth condoning someones bad behavior and disrespect for a free glass of wine.

Dave:eek:

No as far as I am aware nothing was said to him.

I police my childrens dress sense/manners, I would not dream of doing so to another adult whom I've never even met before. I try to enjoy my cruises and not sit in judgement of others, even if they should know better!

BTW the 'free' wine was lovely :D and I didn't feel at all compromised by enjoying it.

There is certainly a difference of opinion on this subject and from what I have read on several threads makes me think it can vary from cruise to cruise, maybe influenced by destination, as to how people dress and this is all very confusing for first time cruisers. I even posted my own question recently - trying to figure out what I needed to buy.

I know some of you who have been at this awhile are tired of the topic , so I plead for your patience for those of us who keep bringing the subject up - the brochures say one thing - your posts say another - what are we to do ? I've read everything from 'most men in a tux' to 'only half the men are in a tux' and the difference in descriptions of 'informal' are enough to drive us crazy.

I for one, hope X don't drop the dress code completely - or at least not before next year. I agree it's difficult to pack for day clothes and dinner clothes, but it's fun to dress up once in awhile - I guess because I never get to do it.

Our first cruise is next August - that's 07 ! (Alaska ) and to spread the pain of the expense I've bought my new 'cruise clothes' this year ( I had nothing !!! ) I'm going FORMAL on formal nights, my DH will be in a tux, and on informal nights we will still be 'well dressed', I'm going by the book on this one. We might end up being over dressed but I can live with that.

I guess if X ditches the dress code we will look for a different cruise line next time so I get to wear this stuff again ! ( assuming there is a 'next time ' - forever hopeful ! )

(still over a year to wait for my first cruise - sigh! )

Hopefully this might clarify things slightly. Our cruise was Mediterranean and I have heard say that the med cruises are normally more 'formal', however I saw no evidence of that.

The general dress on the evening in The Metropolitan was:-

Formal Men - 60% tux - 30% suit - 10% shirt & pants

Formal Ladies - 50% long dresses, 40% cocktail dresses, 10% pant-suit

Informal Men - 30% suit - 50% blazer/sports jacket/ pants - 20% shirt & pants

Informal Ladies - real mixture of cocktail dresses/summer dresses/pant suit, blouse & skirt etc. etc.

Casual Men - 50% button through shirt & chino type trousers - 25% polo shirt & pants - 25% t-shirt & pants - don't think I saw any jeans.

Casual Ladies - summer dresses, 3/4 length pants, casual pants etc.

Hope this helps - personally I enjoy dressing up on the formal/informal nights.

:D :D :D

( But I never thought of my Burberrys navy blazer as 'cheesy'. Hmmm....)

Great post! but if I trim the hair outta' my ears I won't be able to comb it over...not to mention my "fake" moustache.

:)

THink of Casual as what most people wear to church NOW, Informal as what people wore to church 40 years ago, and formal, think of the 'Oscars"

I agree with bububr. Formal night should ALWAYS include a tie. It's only for a few hours, and ties don't take up that much space in a suitcase.

No tie=Not Formal.

I think bububr gives a very good example of what to bring.:)

Michelle

:)

I agree with bububr. Formal night should ALWAYS include a tie. It's only for a few hours, and ties don't take up that much space in a suitcase.

No tie=Not Formal.

I think bububr gives a very good example of what to bring.:)

Michelle

The question seems to be whether menswear on the informal nights should always include a tie. At one time it clearly did, but that time may have passed. It's fine if some people still think the tie is preferable, but that doesn't mean others have to agree. I think a dress shirt and pants with a jacket looks just fine on informal night with or without a tie.

I guess I'm just dissapointed that cruising, which used to be the only 'civilized way to travel' is quickly becoming a drag your kid onboard, do "what I want to because I paid for it" , free for all. Now with the news that X might begin to offer 'freestyle' dining as well lowering its standards for the dress codes on its new ships, its gonna be time to start looking for a more suitable, less commercial line to go with.

I blame RCCL for X's slow decline into the generic world of family vacations.

I can appreciate your frustration - when we like something the way it is, we don't want it to change - but I don't personally agree with the idea that this situation represents a "decline" in cruising. It represents a change in cruising, and a change that's clearly not to your liking. But the world is full of families with kids who are now getting to experience cruising in a way that is suitable for them, whereas 20 years ago that would have been hard for them to do. And as you point out, there are still lines where you can have the more formal evenings and other traditional aspects of cruising. Your choice of lines will be more limited now, and it may cost you more, but again, IMO those are changes in the cruise industry, not necessary a decline.

Okay, call it a decline, call it a change.

With this decline, change over the past four or five years I have noticed something.

I don't know if it is directly, indirectly, or not related at all . Maybe some other life cruisers could give their opinion on my take.

" It represents a change in cruising, and a change that's clearly not to your liking. But the world is full of families with kids who are now getting to experience cruising in a way that is suitable for them, whereas 20 years ago that would have been hard for them to do."

Five years ago, I RARELY heard of Norwalk / Noro virus' on ships.....It seems over the past three or four years as cruising is getting MORE popular and lines are getting MORE family friendly that we are seeing more and more outbreaks. Especially during school breaks.

How does this relate to dress code adhearance..Well....I have seen remarks like " its too much to pack with the husband and kids"., " My son won't wear a tie let alone a sports coat or suit", " Do my kids have to dress up for formal night?, I don't want to spend the money and have them grow out of their outfits", " How do you dress a baby for formal night?"...

I'm sorry, but I make a connection to the increase of cruise popularity with families, and the decline of the dress codes, the the more frequent out breaks of noro virus' especially during school breaks.

I'm not saying if everyone was in a tux or gown there would never be any illness, I'm just saying those who don't want to follow set proceedures are more likely to not wash hands their hands, or to be ill and not report it, or simply not care. Its my cruise and if I don't want to wear a tie for an hour I won't, translates into I don't have time to wash my hands, cover my mouth, turn away when I sneeze.

So Yes, I can agree the cruise lines are changing in a way I don't like.

Maybe if you were REQUIRED to dress correctly for dinner, REMAIN in your requested attire for the whole evening, and Casual WAS NOT an option....maybe the industry wouldn't be changing for the worse.

The less structure, the more chaos.....its a slippery slope.

Celebrity...the 'new' Carnival....

Party on

BTW: The X brochures as well as the Website outlines the suggested dress codes in detail. If there are any questions please refer to the codes posted. Its a lot safer than personal opinions. Once you are on board if you need to make adjustments you can pick up almost anything in the shops. Guys, pack a tie...it doesn't take up that much space...and if the rules change on board, just don't wear it. Simple as that.

I've seen the dress code and have to agree that a tie doesn't take up that much room. I'm opting for the dark suit/tie for formal nights as I don't have a tux and my father in law doesn't either and would probably feel out of place if I wore one and he didn't ( he's not much of a tie guy either, usually just wedding and funerals , both of which have been far between luckily! ). Informal, I still think is a jacket, but usually paired with a nice polo shirt would work, right?

Ive just received Celebrity's new brochure this morning and the dress code for Informal men states jacket and shirt.

Obviously it is a matter of personal opinion on whether you still wear a tie or not, however many people will just follow the recommended guidelines. We may not like it, but to not comply is in some ways the same as people refusing to dress up because 'it's my cruise and I'll do what I want' - not much difference guys if we are saying 'it's my cruise and I'll dress up if I want'. Either way we are not adhering to the 'recommended' dress code.

For the record, I personally think that ties should be RECOMMENDED but this has obviously now changed.

The question seems to be whether menswear on the informal nights should always include a tie. At one time it clearly did, but that time may have passed. It's fine if some people still think the tie is preferable, but that doesn't mean others have to agree. I think a dress shirt and pants with a jacket looks just fine on informal night with or without a tie.

Actually, I go either way on the tie for Informal nights. It's the ones that don't want to wear a tie on Formal occasions that bother me. I was simply agreeing with bububr's recommendation to the OP as to what to bring and how to look at the different styles of dress.

Michelle

If X has changed their books - removed the requirement for a tie from informal nights - then they should change their website that still calls for a tie. Two places on their site - one in 'what to pack' and the other in the 'dining' section still refer to a 'jacket and tie' for informal.

My DH will pack a tie - we plan on eating in the specialty restaurant - Normandie (Summit) one night - looks like a pretty posh place - I can't imagine him not wearing a proper jacket and tie in there.

I was looking at HAL's site yesterday ( in case the Summit keeps breaking down and we want to switch ) - HAL has an even less strict dress code than X for men, esp. on formal nights - I guess formal is going to fade away - what a shame - just when we are planning our first cruise.

(over a year to our first cruise - I'll start the countdown in Jan/07, sigh )

OK, so a lot of people say, "Pack a tie." Sure. One tie. How long's the cruise? I'm going on a 14-nighter. Between the formal and informal nights, if I wear a tie each of those nights, no way am I wearing the same flippin' tie! :D I packed three ties for an 8-nighter! :D

Same thing with the jacket. Some men apparently pack a suit for formal nights, then use the suit jacket for the informal nights. You mean to say some of these men are wearing the same jacket and tie the whole cruise?? I'd call that a bigger violation of good taste than not following the dress code in the first place!! :D

BaltiGator - you're absolutely right - 14 nights - you will need several ties ! and I would hope you would have more than one jacket ! what's this about men using one suite jacket for the whole cruise? wouldn't surprise me - just my opinion, but men seem to get away with it easier than women - oh my god - we can't be seen in the same dress twice ! (or , so I've heard) silly, I think !

just for the record, on our 7 night cruise, my DH will be taking a tux, probably two sports jackets/trousers, and at least 2 ties - maybe 3.

(of course, he doesn't know all this yet ! )

Okay, call it a decline, call it a change.

With this decline, change over the past four or five years I have noticed something.

I don't know if it is directly, indirectly, or not related at all . Maybe some other life cruisers could give their opinion on my take.

" It represents a change in cruising, and a change that's clearly not to your liking. But the world is full of families with kids who are now getting to experience cruising in a way that is suitable for them, whereas 20 years ago that would have been hard for them to do."

Five years ago, I RARELY heard of Norwalk / Noro virus' on ships.....It seems over the past three or four years as cruising is getting MORE popular and lines are getting MORE family friendly that we are seeing more and more outbreaks. Especially during school breaks.

How does this relate to dress code adhearance..Well....I have seen remarks like " its too much to pack with the husband and kids"., " My son won't wear a tie let alone a sports coat or suit", " Do my kids have to dress up for formal night?, I don't want to spend the money and have them grow out of their outfits", " How do you dress a baby for formal night?"...

I'm sorry, but I make a connection to the increase of cruise popularity with families, and the decline of the dress codes, the the more frequent out breaks of noro virus' especially during school breaks.

I'm not saying if everyone was in a tux or gown there would never be any illness, I'm just saying those who don't want to follow set proceedures are more likely to not wash hands their hands, or to be ill and not report it, or simply not care. Its my cruise and if I don't want to wear a tie for an hour I won't, translates into I don't have time to wash my hands, cover my mouth, turn away when I sneeze.

So Yes, I can agree the cruise lines are changing in a way I don't like.

Maybe if you were REQUIRED to dress correctly for dinner, REMAIN in your requested attire for the whole evening, and Casual WAS NOT an option....maybe the industry wouldn't be changing for the worse.

The less structure, the more chaos.....its a slippery slope.

Celebrity...the 'new' Carnival....

Party on

BTW: The X brochures as well as the Website outlines the suggested dress codes in detail. If there are any questions please refer to the codes posted. Its a lot safer than personal opinions. Once you are on board if you need to make adjustments you can pick up almost anything in the shops. Guys, pack a tie...it doesn't take up that much space...and if the rules change on board, just don't wear it. Simple as that.

I agree with the fundamentals of what you are saying but not your opinion about it being a decline.

I agree that it is most likely due to a younger crowd and the family crowd that cruise lines are beginning to make a less formal dress code and/or being more lax wit the dress code in place. However, the cruise lines wouldn't do this if it was not what the market wanted. A business is going to do what it's customers want, if X was losing business because of their dress code I would guarantee that we would all be required to wear tuxes but the bottom line is with the increase in business they are headed in the right direction. There is good news for you though and that is that there are a few niche cruise lines that have a formal atmosphere so you still can truly pick a line that meets your needs.

I also agree that it is possible that the families (younger children) may bring more illness on to a cruise. I think everyone on here agrees that kids carry many many germs.

IMO the bottom line is that the world changes constantly. If you don't like that change it is branded a decline - if you do like the change it is branded a positive move for the industry. Unfortunately for some there is always a minority voice and if you look at the market trends it appears to be those of you who prefer a more formal environment. This is just my opinion and for the record let me state that I do follow the dress code.

BaltiGator-

I too agree... 1 tie, 1 jacket is not enough for a 7 day cruise. I think when you're on a cruise, if you don't want to dress for dinner, then you should eat somewhere other than the main dining room... there are options. If you want to eat in the main dining room, then dress appropriately... and that doesn't mean wear the same thing for 4 days!

BaltiGator - you're absolutely right - 14 nights - you will need several ties ! and I would hope you would have more than one jacket ! what's this about men using one suite jacket for the whole cruise? wouldn't surprise me - just my opinion, but men seem to get away with it easier than women - oh my god - we can't be seen in the same dress twice ! (or , so I've heard) silly, I think !

just for the record, on our 7 night cruise, my DH will be taking a tux, probably two sports jackets/trousers, and at least 2 ties - maybe 3.

(of course, he doesn't know all this yet ! )

LOL!!

Read through this thread and you'll see a couple of posts that imply the man is bringing one suit, maybe one other jacket, only one or two pairs of dress pants, and one or two ties. I've seen this same thing echoed in other threads.

Now, if it's a 5-7 night cruise that probably suffices. But anything longer than that - yuck! ONE pair of khakis? I'd rather be seen naked than wearing the same pair of pants several nights in a row. One suit or tux - yes - that's reasonable, and one sport jacket, ok - but the other stuff, ties, shirts, pants - even men have to mix it up a little! I agree, though, packing for a cruise is still harder on the women.

I always bring a tux, (sometimes and additionally) a dark suit, a blazer (or two), 2 pants, 3 ties, 4 shirts for suit and blazers, some sport long leaves shirts, 3 collared polo shirts and 2 pairs of shoes, 1 or 2 dockers and 1 shorts, if hot.

All in all, does not arrive to 20 kilos and I am correctly dressed every night. I pack only what I am going to use. I use the laundry of the ship.

I was looking at HAL's site yesterday ( in case the Summit keeps breaking down and we want to switch ) - HAL has an even less strict dress code than X for men, esp. on formal nights

Interesting.

I just had a look at HAL's dress code, and it says that a jacket and tie is OK for formal nights.

I don't think I've seen this before, though I never paid much attention to it. At least in my experience, virtually everyone wears a dark suit or a tuxedo/dinner jacket on formal nights on HAL.

Interesting.

I just had a look at HAL's dress code, and it says that a jacket and tie is OK for formal nights.

I don't think I've seen this before, though I never paid much attention to it. At least in my experience, virtually everyone wears a dark suit or a tuxedo/dinner jacket on formal nights on HAL.

Doug, that is a recent revision to HALs published dress code ( and not a good one, IMO).

On ZUI in March, more than half the men were in tuxes, the rest in dark suits. I could count the number of sportcoats on one hand.

On informal nights, they enforced the jacket required rule in the Pinnacle. Cannot say about the main dining room.

Doug, that is a recent revision to HALs published dress code ( and not a good one, IMO).

Agreed. Jacket and tie is not "formal".

Actually, dark suit is really semi-formal, not formal... Technically it should be semi-formal, informal, casual.

On informal nights, they enforced the jacket required rule in the Pinnacle.

Aren't you always supposed to wear a jacket for dinner in Pinnacle?

I should know this stuff :o ...

Archived