car rental in Hawaii - multiple islands

wbhoward

I was wondering if anyone has rented cars on multiple islands in Hawaii, and what kind of deals you may have found. My wife and I will be there in January (not on a cruise this time). I've read that some companies will still give you discount rates if you rent with the same company on multiple islands. Can anybody recommend a company that does this?

i thought this would be a good question for the cruise critic boards, since cruisers might be interested in doing the same thing on a Hawaiian cruise.

Thanks!

The last time I rented in Hawaii (2003) I arranged through the real estate company I rented a condo from on Maui to have cars on three islands. Price was as good as I'd seen anywhere, about $170 a week. I've arranged to do it again in 2005, same company. It was Thrifty.

We rented cars thru Alamo on all the islands for our upcoming cruise in August. I was on their website but called because I had questions. They were very helpful, asked if we were members of Costco or Sam's (which we are) and gave us their discount rate which was a few dollars less than the code 6T. Booked over the phone, gave us our confirmation numbers and I printed them out on the computer. Hope this helps.

Maryann

We rented Alamo on every Island...but I didnt book a multi-island deal. (We were able to book the Hawaii resident rate) Alamo worked out perfectly for us. A woman on the cruise with us booked Alamo on line and got that rate on every island....but then walked up to the counter and requested a walk-up rate before she told them that she had a reservation. The walkup rate usually beat the internet rate so she would then cancel her reservation and take the walkup rate. They hate when you do it and dont like people to know about the different rates but there you go.

• 1 month later...

I've rented via Alamo and they were very reasonable. If you are into biking, you should rent a motorcycle or scooter for a few days. That is honestly one of the best ways to see the Islands. You can usually negotiate a good deal while on-site. We rented from a local place but I can't remember the name. I noticed that you are a fellow Hoosier! It seems that no matter where I am in the world, I always run into one. Wouldn't you agree? I hope you have fun and enjoy the Islands.

• 1 month later...

I do run into a lot of Hoosiers all over the place - probably because Indiana sucks so bad, we have to be traveling all of the time :) How did you like renting the motorcycle? I've thought about doing that, but it seems a little pricey, and I'm not sure my wife would get as much out of it as I would :)

Archived