renew vows

dck12ga

OK, I have checked both the Carnival and the wedding boards and I can not find my answer. Will the captain renew wedding vows without the $385 charge for pictures,flowers,cake and so on?? Can we rent a room and bring our own wine/champagne? and how much does it cost for an hour or so? I know I can call the 800 number and ask but I like talking to you guys!! :D

It cost almost $500. We had a little cake (not the ones sold in the dining room -- this was a lot fancier), champagne, and some photos were included. A ship's photographer took pictures during the ceremony, and then we had a private photo session around the ship. Our teens made a CD of our special music to play quietly in the background. We were given flowers (a small bouquet for me, a boutinere for DH) too. We had arranged it a few weeks before we sailed, and there was a card in our cabin with the Social Hostess' number. We had an appointment with her the first sea day to discuss scheduling, so she could learn a little about us to personalize the ceremony, and to find out if we wanted to write our own vows or if we had any special requests. Later in the cruise we met with the photographer, and got to select a few pictures (could have purchased more in various packages). We received an album and a decent quality silverplate frame. It was pricey but well worth it to us -- DH had been diagnosed with a degenerative disease that will be eventually be terminal, and it was a chance for our family to renew vows together. DH gave me a lovely right-hand diamond ring that I now wear to match my wedding set. That was RCL, though.

If you don't have time to call before the cruise, you might try calling the Social Host when on-board to see if they can do anything for you. I bet they'd be happy to put something together with you, if you explain what you want. Or, as an alternative, I have another story for you!

We actually renewed our vows on a cruise once before, for our 15th anniversary. We hadn't taken a honeymoon, and had promised ourselves that we'd take a special trip on our 15th. We took a cruise to Alaska, and renewed our vows in a church. I called Alaska ahead of time to make all of the arrangements directly with a local church, since the cruise line prices were so steep (Celebrity). We went to the church as soon as we tendered to the Port, where the Priest had everything waiting for us. The local Chamber of Commerce gave me the name of a photographer, who met us at the church. Our children were our attendants, and I packed silk flowers. The photographer then had the pictures developed for us while we toured the Port, and even gave us the negatives. The religious ceremony was very special to us, and I was very comfortable making our donation to a church instead of a cruiseline.

Renewing vows is always special, though -- and we'll renew ours again privately with glasses of ice tea (oh well, it's the thought that counts) on a balcony under the moonlight on our cruise on the same ship with Cruisin' (although we won't join everyone from Cruise Critics at the piano bar due to DH's illness). We're grateful that we're able to manage another family cruise, and are even talking about trying to take another one next year if all goes well! They are sooooo romantic, fun, restful, memorable....I could keep going....have a wonderful time!

When we were on the Spirit in January, they only offered packaged deals on the vow renewals. I'm sure that you could call and ask about renting a room plus catered food, it wouldn't be any different than someone planning a group get together aboard ship.

To give you comparison of prices ... here's what Princess offers and the Captain does the vow renewal ceremony. (the catch is that it is NOT guaranteed that it will be a private ceremony, it may be done as a group with others renewing their vows too.) Most who have posted about it on the Princess forum have said they had a private ceremony. I'm sure it is dependent on how many are requesting it. Normally from what I have read, it is done on formal night before the Captain's party.

Renewal of Vows

This package includes: spacer.gifA renewal of vows ceremony*.Orchid bouquet and boutonniere for ceremony.Commemorative certificate for "renewal of vows" signed by the Captain.One bottle of champagne in your stateroom.Two Princess Cruises engraved souvenir champagne glasses.A framed portrait of the ceremony.spacer.gifItem #1103 $205 per couple

Deluxe Renewal of Vows

This package includes:

All the benefits of the above Renewal of Vows Package plus these fabulous extras: spacer.gifChampagne breakfast in bed—a half bottle of French champagne delivered with breakfast in your stateroom the morning of your choice.Two Princess Cruises waffle robes—a gift for you to take home.A visit to the Spa—one 30 minute therapeutic massage or facial per person.Choice of canapés or petits fours in your stateroom on selected evenings.A personalized invitation from the Captain to visit the bridge while in port.spacer.gifItem #1104 $485 per couple

* Renewal of Vows is a group ceremony at the ship's discretion. All arrangements will be made by the ship's representative onboard.

We travelled on the Glory last May. We had met on the boards a couple who was looking to have their vows renewed and since my husband is a minister they asked him to perform the ceremony. We simply met at the back of the ship with their children and another couple and had a simple ceremony early on a Sunday morning. My husband did not charge anything, but the couple was nice enough to put a deposit on our S&S for us. It was very special but simple. Perhaps you could arrange something like that.

Thought you might be interested.....

Back in the late 70's and early 80's - probably up to about 1985-88, you could renew your vows FREE. You got a nice certificate, a complimentary bottle of champagne and 2 lovely champagne glasses with the ship logo etched on. This was pretty standard across the cruise lines.....

And---if it was a birthday, anniversary, etc., all you had to do was let the maitre'd know and they presented a cake to the table, big enough to serve everyone at the table, with lit candles and everyone singing.......also complimentary.

My, my, how times have changed!

Archived