Nenana Rafting Tour Operator

fourdarlings

It kills me to say this, but i'd say that Alaska Raft Adventures, through the Chalets is the best outfit for paddle rafting--if your group is (honestly) in shape for it.

First, let me say why i recommend them. Like all the rafting companies up there, they have good, well-trained guides. Unlike the most of the other companies though, for paddle trips they use slightly smaller rafts that are specifically outfitted for paddle-rafting. Most of the others use the same 18' rafts they use for oar-boats, which just aren't as good for paddling. They also tend to take more aggresive lines with their paddle crews (again, if they're up to it).

Now, why it kills me to say that. I worked for that company a few years ago doing the rafting thing and it was, without exageration, one of the worst experiences of my guiding life. The parent company (Aramark) represents everything that is wrong in the tourism industry, they treat their employees horribly and the rafting manager (tall, red-headed guy who's name i won't mention...unless you really want to know) is an evil bastard who, if he ever happens to be in a crosswalk on a street i'm driving on, will be a dead evil bastard!

The only thing that made that season even remotely tolerable was the great group of guides i worked with, the quality of the equipment and the great rafting.

So, for paddle rafters who are in good shape and really want a serious class 3-4 whitewater thrill, go with ARA. For all others, especially those who'd rather let the guide do all the work, go with any of the other companies. They're all great.

It kills me to say this, but i'd say that Alaska Raft Adventures, through the Chalets is the best outfit for paddle rafting--if your group is (honestly) in shape for it.

Now, why it kills me to say that. I worked for that company a few years ago doing the rafting thing and it was, without exageration, one of the worst experiences of my guiding life. The parent company (Aramark) represents everything that is wrong in the tourism industry, they treat their employees horribly and the rafting manager (tall, red-headed guy who's name i won't mention...unless you really want to know) is an evil bastard who, if he ever happens to be in a crosswalk on a street i'm driving on, will be a dead evil bastard!

The only thing that made that season even remotely tolerable was the great group of guides i worked with, the quality of the equipment and the great rafting.

OutdoorsPro...I love your response...now how do you really feel about that red-headed rafting manager????:D Trust me, I've worked for a few of those in my life too!!!

Possibly you will be able to help: We're actually going to be staying in Talkeetna and wondering what options there may be for white water rafting out of Talkeetna? I know there are some possibilities for a float, but I'm wondering about whitewater?

Thanks!

Thanks Outdoors Pro. We are not experienced, in fairly decent shape (37 & 38)but have heard the oar paddle ones are "lame". We have nothing to compare it to. Just wanted something a bit more exciting than a float down the river.

So any other companies that would be good?

Thx

Keri

The oar rafts aren't really "lame", but you aren't really an active participant so much as a passenger. For younger folks like yourself, you probably would find the paddle rafts more exciting, as you are taking an active part in the trip. On the other hand, paddle rafts are only good if everyone is really putting themselves into it--not good for "lilly-dippers". If that happens, the guide will take the most conservative line possible, cause without decent paddlers, the raft won't handle big rapids too well (or safely!).

So, if you want to paddle, i'd still have to suggest ARA (man, i hate saying that!). But for oar rafts, or if you just don't want to support a company that sucks the life out of its guides, just pick whatever other company works for you. They're all excellent!

Seriously, it's hard to find a rafting community where the general guide population is so professional. Of course, one reason for that is that the Nenana is a BIG river with very high flows. A guide needs to really be on his/her game, 'cause when things go wrong on that river, they tend to go REALLY wrong.

Here's ARA:

http://www.denaliparkresorts.com/rafting.shtml

Here's a few other companies (though not all):

http://www.alaskaraft.com/

http://www.denalioutdoorcenter.com/

http://www.denaliraft.com/

Archived