Paradise Point Tram Question

azfirstcruise

I keep reading great things about the Paradise Point tram and I can only imagine that the view is spectacular while in transit. My boyfriend wants to take the tram to the top of the mountain but I've ridden the 4 person skyride trams at the amusement park and I did not feel secure in them at all. Based on the pictures, it doesn't look much different other than being a bigger gondola. Can anyone relate to my apprehension? I'd like to hear some feedback from those who can relate.

Thank you (and my boyfriend thanks you too)!

Ths tram that is used here is enclosed and probably holds 8-12 people if they are busy. As I remember it the car is mostly enclosed. The best views are actually after you get to the top and then walk over to a small park area that is a little higher than the buildings.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://paradisepointtramway.com/

There is a picture of one of the cars on the front page. We did this on our 2nd or 3rd visit and wondered why we hadn't done it before. The view is great and the opportunities for pictures of harbor and all the ships is worth the cost.

Have a great next cruise.

There is a road which goes up to Paradise Point. You'll find it next to the shipwreck Tavern. I'd drive my car up there to go for lunch quite often. Its quite a long steep road to walk however a taxi may take you. Best onion rings on the island. Beware of their Bushwackers, they taste really smooth and sweet. They pack a wallop. One does you just fine and two will make you quite tipsy.

The view from there while doing lunch is well worth the trip.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Thanks for your responses. I'm hoping to hear more about the tram from someone's experience, particularly someone who was nervous going on it. I've reviewed the pictures but they just don't describe much about things like: How stable does it feel? Does it rock back and forth? Is it crowded? Do you feel secure in it? Seven minutes seems like a long time, especially if it's a "scary" ride. :eek:

By the way, the bushwacker sounds like a must. I love that kind of drink!!! :p

Thanks again!

I keep reading great things about the Paradise Point tram and I can only imagine that the view is spectacular while in transit. My boyfriend wants to take the tram to the top of the mountain but I've ridden the 4 person skyride trams at the amusement park and I did not feel secure in them at all. Based on the pictures, it doesn't look much different other than being a bigger gondola. Can anyone relate to my apprehension? I'd like to hear some feedback from those who can relate.

Thank you (and my boyfriend thanks you too)!

It cost us $108. for eight of us to go to the top in the tram. The tram seemed safe but I would not go in one that had more than 6 it gets a little hot. If you have a wise guy aboard he might rock it. It was a nice ride though. My disappointment came at the top. The view was spectacular but that was it. I thought there was a nice restaurant up there or even a cafe type place that served some kind of caribbean food. Nope. It was everyday food you could get at home. To top it off...two of our group was charged twice for their drinks.

We hurried up to get up there to see the bird show. The birds were still at their posts, not put away yet but the bird lady did'nt care that there were eight of us that would pay to see the show...she said she was packing up and going home. I can't figure it out...if there are ships in port I had heard that everything stays open a little later ...not her. We even asked her to stay but she said no. There were signs that you could not take photos but she said we could.

Like I said, the view was spectacular but that was it!

• 4 weeks later...

We went up after our excursion to St. John. It was just around sunset and the weather was very calm. The gondola didn't rock at all after leaving the ground (slight shake over the pulley system). On the way up we had one other couple and had the ride to ourselves on the way down. Definitely go up for the view, sit and have a drink and take some pictures. If you're worried about the gondola, make sure you only have 1 drink at the top! The view of the harbor riding down was really cool, too.

If you wanted to do the Tram and get to one of the beaches (probably Magen's Bay or Coki) , how would you recommend doing both - can you walk to the Tram from the ship, take the tram up and down and then take a taxi to the beach? Or is it better to go the other way around? How much for taxis?

Thanks in advance....

If your ship is docked at the main dock, you can definitely walk over to the Tram. If I wanted to do both a beach and the Tram I would do the beach first and then the Tram since then you would be close to the ship and less likely to miss it. Taxis are plentiful but I don't know what the fare would be to one of the beaches.

Have a great next cruise.

There's DEFINITELY time to do both Magen's Bay & Paradise Point tram.

I would suggest going to the beach first, then taxi back to Havensight (the pier area). From there you can easily walk to the base of the tram, ride up, enjoy the view for a while, shop eat, drink, etc. Tip: Be sure to try one of their "BUSHWHACKERS". They're DELICIOUS:-))

There's DEFINITELY time to do both Magen's Bay & Paradise Point tram.

I would suggest going to the beach first, then taxi back to Havensight (the pier area). From there you can easily walk to the base of the tram(only 1-2 blocks), ride up, enjoy the view for a while, shop eat, drink, etc. Tip: Be sure to try one of their "BUSHWHACKERS". They're DELICIOUS:-))

Azfirstcruise: The tram is completely enclosed, and does not rock. The only motion I felt was when the tram was going over one of the pulley-system. Not bad at all. Each cart will easily hold about 6 people. If you're concerned about the # of people in your cart, talk to the lady who loads the passengers at the base. She seemed to be very acomodating to each persons needs & concerns. (soory I don't remember her name).

The Islander: Paradise Point & Mountaintop are 2 different places. The view from Mountaintop is of Magens Bay & that side of the island. It's a nice view, but there is only a small balcony area to stand on to look out. No place to sit & enjoy the view as there is at PP. (they are suppose to be famous for their banana daquaris, but I didn't think thry were that good). Would MUCH rather go to Paradise Point:-)

Thanks for all the information! Our cruise ship doesnt leave until 1 a.m and I want to accomplish these things:

1. Beach relaxing and snorkeling (which beach? I was thinking about Coki/Megans)

2. Either Parasailing ,Jet skiing,or SNUBA at Coral Park(Any suggestions? I will be with my 8yr od who wants to do "something cool")

2. Shopping( I need a new watch-where should we go?)

3. Paradise Point trolley-( I want a BUSHWACKER! Anyone know what's in them?)

In what order should I do them? We will be on the Spirit 8/19- I'm not sure where it will be docked.

Thanks!!

1. Beach: If you are looking for a beach with snorkeling and your choices are Magens or Coki then you'd want to go to Coki. Magens is largely sandy so not much snorkeling.

2. Parasailing, I think has a weight minimum so you'd need to check on that to see if it is an option for your 8 year old.

3. BUSHWACKER:

Recipe 1: Ingredients

Bailey's Irish Cream

1 splash of Amaretto

1 splash of Vodka

1 splash of Kahlua

1 splash of Grand Marnier

Nutmeg

Ice

Directions

Fill blender 3/4 with ice

Add a small splash of vodka, a small splash of Grand Marnier. Add a healthy serving of kahlua and a smaller splash of amaretto. Fill the blender with Bailey's until liquid is 1/2 inch from top of ice cubes. Mix until smooth.

Pour into glass and sprinkle with nutmeg!

Recipe 2: Ingredients

2oz Coconut rum

4oz Kahlua

6oz Bailey's Irish Cream

4oz Amaretto

2oz Vodka

Directions

Fill blender 3/4 with ice. Add ingredients, blend. Pour in glass and add some whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived