Seas in Hawaii

jad828

Hello-

I was hoping someone could tell me if the seas in Hawaii are comparable to the Caribbean. I didn't know if it's rough or calm, or maybe they are questionable.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Sea state, in my opinion, is always a crapshoot.

Back in Feb 96, on a Honolulu/Ensenada cruise on the old Pacific Princess, we had one family disembark the cruise in Maui, as they thought the waters too rough to proceed.

I had barely noticed we were on the water - stomachs are such individual things. Having gone through the back end of a typhoon (11-86) in the China Sea on the little Golden Odyssey,with green water breaking over the bridge, screws out of the water, and inclinometer pegged (all at once), perhaps I am jaded.

Aug 02, on Golden Princess' trans-Atlantic, we had spray from bow slap raining down on our balcony up on Deck 10 (Caribe), and several windows along Prom deck shattered due to the flexing and movement of the ship through Force 8 seas, putting us some 6 hours late in New York City. Some passengers conjured up thoughts of the Poseidon adventure, and were fearful of capsizing.

This past November, on the new Pacific Princess, several people complained about how rough the waters were in the Tasman Sea, but again, I thought it was a millpond.

Michael

Hmmm... thanks for the insights, Michael. We never really had much of a problem with ships. Our worst time was on the Carnival Triumph. It was Aug 26, 1999, the inagural season. It was a 4 night cruise out of NYC to Canada. There aparently was some kind of tropical storm or hurrican further south, but we still felt it. When we got off the ship, we still were swaying back and forth once we were on land. This is why I prefer smaller ~50,000 ton ships. They're made like ships, where as I heard the newer ones are more like barges.

I hope for the best!

-Brian

We were on the Star in late March and did not have any problem with the seas. My

wife chose to wear the patch anyway. Only saw a couple of seasick victims. In

bed you may feel the ship rock slightly. If you are in mid-ship you should have no

problems, but if you are not sure, I would buy the patch (last a week).

Hello-

I was hoping someone could tell me if the seas in Hawaii are comparable to the Caribbean. I didn't know if it's rough or calm, or maybe they are questionable.

Any insight would be great!

Sorry, cannot compare with the Carribean, no experience there.

The islands are "speed bumps" with 2,500 miles of open ocean in all directions. It can be smooth as a pond, or very lumpy, and it can change in a very short period. The channels between the islands can often be very rough.

But, in a modern cruise ship (with stabilizers), you should be OK

Thanks for everyone's insights. I'll be packing my dramamine no matter what. (I always find that I actually need it more once on land in ports since I get my sea legs so quickly)

I figure after being in the middle of Hurricane Andrew in 92, in 25 ft wave breakers and sea sick bags all over the ship I was on, I can handle anything!:cool:

Brian, we were on teh Oceanic, one of the old "Big Red Boats" they were TEENY compared to some of the other ships around. We always travel with either meclazine (sp?) which is the generic form of dramamine or the generic form of bonine (which I prefer, no drowsiness). I like the generic forms because you can get a bottle of them, like a bottle of advil or whatever. Lots cheaper! As I said I find that I need it more when I'm off the ship- that's when I start to feel horrible.

No, they're over the counter stuff, Brian. There is Dramamine and Bonine, as I said I prefer Bonine (or the non-drowsy version of Dramamine) so you don't get all sleepy. Walmart is where I usually go to pick them up. If you get the generic version of the medications- meclizine for Dramamine- I'll let you know, Brian, what the generic is for Bonine, you can get a bottle of 100 or so.

We did the Oceanic too. I remember the curtains swinging out to what seemed to be almost 45 degrees. Seasick bags everywhere. Water sloshing in the glasses on the table. Didn't cruise again for almost 10 years.

Since then all the new big ships have been great, even in the rougher waters.

The pacific is one huge body of water, and a storm is going to create some wicked waves. The captain will be able to avoid many storms conditions, but an ocean is an an ocean. Be prepared with something to provide or prevent issues.

Meds or ginger or electric wrist bands. I use generic meds, and electric bands for the kids.

Yo-

We did Hawaii on the NCL "Sky" in November '02

Water was good all around the Islands and down and back from Fanning Island-

Fanning is almost at the Equator and is hot and humid - but interesting-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Archived