cruise directors

does anyone know where dan styne is nowadays and is he always just cracking jokes about being gay or is he really?:( :rolleyes:

In March he was Cruise Director on Pacific Star. I don't think he is gay, but I can see why people think he might be.

While Dan was quite funny - and a surprisingly good singer, I don't think he was a good cruise director. Everything was about him, and this, and his humor, sometimes distracted from the serious things that he had to convey in his role as cruise director. He seemed to want to be both Cruise Director and cruise clown. There were times when he was trying to get some serious information across to passengers (like the poor condition of the landing pontoon at Yasawa-I-Rara) by nobody was taking him seriously because they were thinking "oh it's Dan, he's just joking" - when in fact he wasn't as they found out the next day trying to disembar the tenders, and probably lead to a lot of pointless complaints to the pursers desk - "why wasn't I told about the rickety pontoon?".

Another thing I found with Dan was that he didn't involve the Deputy Cruise director in the public side of the role - it was all about him. You very rarerly saw the Deputy Director - she seemed to work in the background doing all the "serious" work while Dan had fun.

I found this a complete contrast to Shona & Demo when they were working together on my cruises on Pacific Sky & Pacific Sun. They actually worked as a team, with one have the straight serious role (Shona) and one the comedy/light hearted role (Demo).

Kym

thats a really interesting perspcetive. i have to say i neva really thought of him that way. anyone else care to share? would be interesting to see what otha people think about his behaviour.

I was the odd one out in our group of 6 - everyone else thought he did a wonderful job :o

I thought Dan was good as a cruise director. He was funny, always good with a fast comeback, and liked to laugh at himself.

I agree with Skyrules in the fact I don't even know who the deputy Cruise Director was. We only had one or two morning shows as they didn't know what or where we were going to be most days, and both of the shows he was on alone or with the chef etc, but never an assistant.

We had a comedien on our trip and I must say Dan rung rings around him, most people said the same. It was "bring back Dan".

He definitely isn't gay as his partner was with him on our cruise (the brunt of some of his jokes), and she is a tall slim lovely looking blonde. They were always together when he wasn't on the job.

Kevin told me Demo was back this cruise (617) james left after 616. I loved Kevin too,he will make a really good CD. I don't know Demo so am interested to hear how they work together. Kevin and James bounced of each other so well.I told Kevin so too.

I loved Kevin too,he will make a really good CD. I don't know Demo so am interested to hear how they work together..

Im with you Past it. I really liked Kevin and its a pity you haven't met Demo as he is soooooo funny and together they work really well.

I hope they will be on the Pacific Dawn when we cruise next year.

Karen:)

Sorry I don't know where Dan is now but having cruised with him as cruise director for several cruises in the past eight years I have always really liked him.

I was very surprised about Demo going back on board ship as I thought that it was definate that both him and Shona were giving up the sea after the wedding - so I would be interested if anyone can confirm his return!!!!:)

Hi,just got home from seeing my daughter off on the Sun,and saw Demo at the wharf with his bags so I guess he is going back on.Will confirm it when I get email from my daughter.It must have been magical sailing out tonight with all the city lights,although I suspect a little rough once they got out the heads.Wish I was on it too-have to start planning my next cruise

Archived