Death on snorkeling excursion: June 1st

TinAngel

Sad

I will not now report the cruise line. Asked the "Moderators" to review.

But we here are SCUBA and professional and rec divers, so I post this.

I talked with the man who was first to discover the person.

I am, well was in my youth, a diver. I had the very painful experience to talk to the person who spoted her in the water "inactive". She was long gone by then.

Issues:

1. likely physically unfit or so at risk the person shoud have not been snorkeling.

2. an issue of diving buddy system or poor supervision.

This just is sad and hurts.

Yes, this will "scare" some but I think, rather slowly as I review what I know, this is important.

So far no reports I have seen on CC boards.

But know; the issues are many. The facts seem to suggest a "natural" reason such as a heart attack, etc. I can list all.

Should I or we even post this?

I say yes.

I also see we may never know the real reasons.

Looks like a medical issue. I hope so, seems as I stated we will never know. Not like the cruise line will

post" the grim details.

Doc

it was a cruise line excursion not a privately booked snorkel trip.

How horrible! I, for one, thank you for posting this. I think it will make me even more careful with my girls on our upcoming cruise. On our last Caribbean cruise, we snorkled only once, but this time we plan to snorkle at least three times. Both of my DDs can swim and will be wearing life vests (recently bought one for my 11-year-old DD rather than having her use one of the little inflatable ones), but you can never be too sure.

Thanks for posting--it's never bad to remind us that we need to be careful.

My prayers for the family.

I am trying to verify this information.. It would be easier to research if we knew the cruiseline Tin Angel is referring to.. so far we have no news on this happening..

Cozumel

Not much to add but I did spend a few minutes with the young man (25 or so) that stated, he was with a few friends, that he was the first to discover the woman "fiftyish" but you know how youngsters always cannot date anyone over 40. She was by his words and description just still and had no vital signs and he detailed a few things. He was not sure if the CPR person was a medic or M.D. The entire episode was very traumatic and I offered some insights, and counseling for his group if he felt that was something that could be set up.

I left feeling certain those folks have a bit of PTSD and wish I could have done more. I did tell him to keep tabs with his friends and such. Doubt he heard much. Asked if he talked to the ships physician to let him know there were a few psychologists and Social Workers on-board.

As both a Nurse and psychologist, I suspected as he did that the woman had passed earlier but many medics do try CPR as to demonstrate that "all that could be done was" ethic.

I did email two Mod folks on CC but they never answered.

Joe "Doc"

Although unfortunate, death while cruising does occur, just the same as death occurs at home.

Over 25 years ago my in-law's one and only cruise was interrupted when the husband of their cruise companions died of a heart attack while snorkeling. I'm sure there have been more since. Several cruisers died recently when their tour bus plunged off a cliff. It happens.

When the Lord decides to call you home it won't matter if you're snorkeling, sitting on your balcony, or at home watching TV.

Death for family members is always difficult to deal with and, in this case, doubly so because of the distance involved from home and it's sad that this happened.

However, I see no reason to become alarmed at a post like this.

• Administrators
Cozumel

I did email two Mod folks on CC but they never answered.

Joe "Doc"

Joe/Doc:

I'm sorry you didn't receive an answer BUT moderators wouldn't have any knowledge regarding this incident, nor would they be in a capacity to confirm it as "happening". We certainly do not dispute what you are saying, but please do not look to our volunteer hosts to confirm this info.

Laura

The reason I emailed a few mods was that I did not want to post

anything on the event but I decided this info belonged on the CC snorkel & SCUBA board. I did not expect any answer but just figured CC should know.

The real issue is clear to some of us divers. I have post in past years

as to what issues are important for any diving excursions.

I have one suggestion for all and that is invest in a CO2 inflatable divers vest.

I besides having been a diver since the 1950's also have heart disease and I snorkeled up to last year.

All one has to do is pull the cord and the vest inflates holding ones head above water and trust me it attracts attention. I suggest this vest to all

over 40 and for children. Perhaps I can locate a video of this somewhere.

http://www.stormyseas.com/video.html

In Cozumel we sail with a good friend and snorkel off the boat. Over the years we have almost run over a few cruise line passengers who ventured out a bit into the boat lanes. Most had no vests (the brite colors help) and none had a CO2 inflatable. While sailing we wear our inflatable CO2 vests as it is impossible to manage the lines with a life jacket on. I have a model that automatically inflates when the vest hits the water. This is for my grandchildren.

http://www.stormyseas.com/vests.html

There are less expensive models and I hear all are better than what most any Charter offers.

CC's snorkel and divers board is where the rookie or novice can read what is important. So if you snorkel or perhaps want to try sailing which is near perfect in Cozumel, invest in a vest.

Joe

Another important feature with Stormy Seas inflatable garments is the ability for the user to go underwater when needed, then tug on the pocket to pull the pin for an inflated ride to the surface. This is very important if you are attempting to dive under to rescue someone.

I was on the same Catamaran on June 1, 2006 in Cozumel. I am afraid that the woman did not make it;contrary to the reports from the cruise line (stating she was stable and in the hospital to go home in 2 or 3 days) I was very concerned that the cruise line did not address this tramatic event with those of us that witnessed it. ( I do not blame anyone) I agree that we should have been able to discuss this with professionals if needed. I emailed the cruise like with that same information. My son had never experienced anything like this and is still and will always be affected by this as will all of us that were on that boat. I feel that the fact that she did not have anyone in the water with her probably contributed to her not being noticed immediately but have no idea what actually caused her distress. My son talked to her just before getting in the water and she was having a problem getting the mask to fit over her glasses. I wish that I knew more only to offer my sympathies to the family. I was right near her as she was being pulled to the boat and I must say that is appeared to me that she was already completely gone when she was noticed. I pray that she did indeed make it but from what I witnessed I have little hope. The one thing that really made me angry was that the catamaran photographer continued to take pictures of all of us as we got back on the boat - saying "Keep your mask on" Look here!! - I found this to be very insensitive to the fact that a human being had just seemingly lost her life!!

I was on the same Catamaran on June 1, 2006 in Cozumel. I am afraid that the woman did not make it;contrary to the reports from the cruise line (stating she was stable and in the hospital to go home in 2 or 3 days) I was very concerned that the cruise line did not address this tramatic event with those of us that witnessed it. ( I do not blame anyone) I agree that we should have been able to discuss this with professionals if needed. I emailed the cruise like with that same information. My son had never experienced anything like this and is still and will always be affected by this as will all of us that were on that boat. I feel that the fact that she did not have anyone in the water with her probably contributed to her not being noticed immediately but have no idea what actually caused her distress. My son talked to her just before getting in the water and she was having a problem getting the mask to fit over her glasses. I wish that I knew more only to offer my sympathies to the family. I was right near her as she was being pulled to the boat and I must say that is appeared to me that she was already completely gone when she was noticed. I pray that she did indeed make it but from what I witnessed I have little hope. The one thing that really made me angry was that the catamaran photographer continued to take pictures of all of us as we got back on the boat - saying "Keep your mask on" Look here!! - I found this to be very insensitive to the fact that a human being had just seemingly lost her life!!

I am so sad, sorry and I guess "guilty". I should have asserted myself.

That previous night I "ran" an informal teen group for say 20 plus youth.

Then the next few days did smaller "raps" in the High Society area. I told several crew that there were board certified, licensed therapists on

the cruise when the story came up.

I have had some contact with a Carnival CEO and will send an Overnight letter on this incident. He is a good man and will act.

This has me tearing up, for the ramifications. I deal with loss, death as a medical professional. Our role is to the families and friends. My reports were also "direct" from friends that know the Catamaran folks you sailed with

so it is certain.

Suspect as you sound like a great Mom, that your son will soon pass through this, he may never "get over" it. My speciality was Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Now I type this and wonder, Suspect the Cruise line is afraid of litigation and such. You must feel so much emotion as it was just not you but your family.

I will see that you recieve somehow what Carnival tells me.

Vaya Con Dios,

Joe Doc and Milli, Colorado

I have been searching the internet since I arrived home on Sat June 3, 2006 for any confirmation of the status of this fellow passeger. I have even pulled up several Mexico newspapers - trying to find any word. (like I can read Spanish!!) My regret is that I was so shocked by what was happening that I did not approach the woman with her to see if she needed someone (Even thought I was a complete stranger) to ride with her and stay with her until she was able to contact relatives. I feel very sad for her - thinking that she had just experienced such a loss and was alone in a foreign country. Hindsight, I guess. I would like to email you if possible - if you would you can email me at Mostlyallday@sbcglobal.net with your address and I will forward you what carnival sent me when i sent them an email - I also emailed the Fury company as well but have not had a reply. Thank you for your response.

and I will also get the Fury crew issues via my friends in Cozumel.

My contact is Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises, he will be the man I send the messages to first.

My friends in Cozumel are doing all they can. Suspect they will address your message. They know the "Fury" crew well.

Feel no regrets, you had a son to take care of. Carnival failed but it is so much more complicated than that. As a mental health and medical professional, I know I tried but failed.

So email in a few minutes. I will also post a new thread on issues that are allied. Please folks wear a CO2 inflatable vest!

Joe Doc

personally I prefer the brightly colored snorkel vest with the strap that also goes between the legs to keep the shorter vest type from 'escaping' over your head.. it is far more comfortable to snorkel with and has the blow up cartridge.. this can be found at any dive shop...

On the first snorkel trip we ever took, an elderly Japanese gentleman died during our trip. He did not speak English and a son or friend was translating to him as instructions were given. There was a respiratory therapist aboard the boat and everything was done to revive him, but he was dead when he was pulled from the water. The cruise line told us he too was fine and in the hospital, but I was sought out by the family and thanked for my comforting of the man's wife, who did not snorkel, but was on the boat. The only shortfall I saw and continue to see is that you should always have a buddy. If you are traveling alone find a partner. My husband and I keep up with each other throughout any snorkel trip while we are in the water.

Archived