Can you see any wildlife from the ship?

Brushtail

Hello everyone,

My question seems a dumb one. But I work on the idea that no question is dumb.

Can you see any whales, dolphins etc from the ship when you are at sea? We are cruising on the Pacific Sun and the whales are busy travelling north at the moment.

What are the chances of seeing any?

Or dolphins........or anything..........

Check out our counter. How exciting! :D

Jenny:) :)

>^..^<

2 whales were sighted that I know off, one when I was in the bingo and couldn't get to a window and the second one I was near the gazebo and saw it from there. it was several hundred feet away but quite clear.

We seen several whales from the dining room windows one day. Not close enough just the water spurting and hump of whale thats about it. We seen a fly on the window of the cabin one day close to port and thought it was kinda exciting, sad i know, but we hadn't seen any insects for days.

All you can see for days is water water water as far as you can see. It really is nice though. Very peaceful.......ohhh I miss it sooo much!

Annette :(

Well Im off to sydney tomorrow (tues) to spend a couple of days shopping before the big day Friday:D Shops here in port macquarie so basic Im so excited i think im a little numb? bye everyone back on the 21st then it will all be a memory:(

You all have a great time,and if you get time, have a go on the ships comps. You get a $15 card with a number on it from the purser and code it in this will get you 1 hour time. You can stop and reuse whenever you get a moment to tell us how you are going :D Bon Voyage. Don't forget the snorkels and Febreeze!!!! And if you get our waiter Agoes you will need to buy bigger clothes for all the extra sweets he brings you :)

We seen several whales from the dining room windows one day. Not close enough just the water spurting and hump of whale thats about it. We seen a fly on the window of the cabin one day close to port and thought it was kinda exciting, sad i know, but we hadn't seen any insects for days.

All you can see for days is water water water as far as you can see. It really is nice though. Very peaceful.......ohhh I miss it sooo much!

Annette :(

We looked for days and couldn't see a thing until we got near Mystery Island and Isle Of Pines. Can't remember exactly which one where we saw reef sharks in a feeding frenzy:eek: , quite a long way out though, two lots. We had a good laugh :D later because we were in the tender and a couple of the ladies said' Oh look at the dolphins splashing around' . Didn't have the heart to tell her they were reef sharks. Quite a few of us knew because we were all giving each other looks when the ladies made their comment. I think we were all just hoping to get to land safely. We also saw from a distance whale spouts so they are defintely around. We looked for days hoping to see a turtle or something:( . We were there early May.

depends what is around. On our first cruise many years ago a whale surfaced right next to the ship and blew its spout. Some passengers got wet :) When on the Sapphire Princess 18 months ago we saw a huge pod of dolphin - about 100 animals. They followed the ship for a couple of hours and was totally amazing. Last cruise didn't see much in the way of wild life other than some birds but still interesting to watch especially the albatross. Gayle

We looked for days hoping to see a turtle or something:( . We were there early May.

Our cruise was in early April and we saw two big turtles at Wala when we were coming across on the tender boat, some sort of fish/shark frenzy at Luganville and because we were on the same cruise as Val (suncoaster) we also had "THAT fly":D

Karen:)

Our cruise was in early April and we saw two big turtles at Wala when we were coming across on the tender boat, some sort of fish/shark frenzy at Luganville and because we were on the same cruise as Val (suncoaster) we also had "THAT fly":D

Karen:)

Hi Kazza1, don't forget to join our Roll Call for Pacific Dawn 9/11/07. At last another one.

i sat on the top deck of the star and watched a pod of dolphins for about an hour and a half the first morning.

only other wildlife i saw was a fruit bat flying around pinkenba when we arrived back in brisbane.

Last cruise I saw a hammer head shark swimming along beside the ship just as we were leaving Sydney Heads.On previous cruises I have seen pods of dolphins racing along beside the ship ,usually at night they dive in and out of the bow wash -fascinating to watch them -they seem to be playing with the ship.I have also seen different sorts of sea birds-way out in the middle of the ocean -its amazing the distances they fly..I have also seen schools of fish leaping in and out of the waves .I think the secret to seeing anything is to spend time looking over the rails out to sea .

oh yea, we also had some sort of sea bird just sit on the deck in a puddle for the whole cruise. it looked very used to being fed by passengers and it was always somewhere about the lido deck of the star.

quite an amusing bird really, "the salty sea bird of the pacific star"

I forgot to add the sea snakes swimming around the ship while we were anchored at Divine Island-the was lagoon was very calm that day and they kept coming to the surface .Not to mention the resident fly-he must have been on the sun quite some time-I also had the company of a Bogong moth last cruise.It flew in when I had the balcony door open as we were setting sail and kept me company for a week until it finally died just outside noumea

Archived