Just back from the Destiny last night........

Fun~N~Sun

I too realize that I am not going on an American Cruise. I thought I booked and was going on a Southern Caribbean Cruise not a Puerto Rican Latino Cruise. I wanted Southern Caribbean Island Atmosphere with reggae, calypso, steel drums. Not Latino Salsa. I like going to the islands and experiencing the different cultures. I feel like I spent a week in Puerto Rico. You may find it interesting that Dominica was my favorite island of the trip. Why? They people were EXTREMELY friendly. They have virtually nothing and think they have everything in the world and are so proud of what they do have. They are proud of their island, their culture, and the way they live and want to share it with everyone.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dominica and can't wait to experience this lush tropical island!!!!

My cruise went to San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, and Aruba. Only one of these islands are spanish speaking which is why in part we decided on the Southern Caribbean as opposed to the Western or Eastern Caribbean. Why bring up being poor.....that has nothing to do with anything. We wanted to the different cultures. I shouldn't have to ask the DJ to play different music.

In those islands they speak spanish as a secondary language, first language is papiamento, but they learned to speak english because of the tourist.

In those islands they speak spanish as a secondary language, first language is papiamento, but they learned to speak english because of the tourist.

No, I asked each of them about their language and unfortunately I do not remember the exact names of the languages but it is primarily a form of french with their own dialect for each area. Aruba is a dutch speaking island.

I like to make friends and talk to people where ever I go. That is part of why I like to travel. I tried to talk to them. They were not willing.

Ok, if you say so, i wasnt there to say yes or no.

But one thing is for sure, please other latinamericans in this forum back me up, latino people are partying people, they like to join new friends and meet people, buy them a beer and have a great time, lets call them AMIGUEROS.

Some american ppls are very closed in that matter, doesnt want to be touched or even talk to a latino, and becomes in a vicious circle, never ending.

My cruise went to San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, and Aruba. Only one of these islands are spanish speaking which is why in part we decided on the Southern Caribbean as opposed to the Western or Eastern Caribbean. Why bring up being poor.....that has nothing to do with anything. We wanted to the different cultures. I shouldn't have to ask the DJ to play different music.

You have a point. You shouldn't have to tell them, but maybe they weren't the greatest DJ to begin with as another poster stated. I'll say this, sometimes we can think too much of ourselves. You know the typical, "Well they should see that there are other people on this cruise besides people from Puerto Rico. Why don't they play the Beach Boys?"

Look, there must have been some reason why the cruise was so heavily skewed towards Puerto Ricans or Latinos.

I'm wondering, how far did you go to find out? Did you talk to any crewmembers about this? Have you talked with anyone else who sailed on the Destiny recently to see if this is typical?

No, I asked each of them about their language and unfortunately I do not remember the exact names of the languages but it is primarily a form of french with their own dialect for each area. Aruba is a dutch speaking island.

Papiamento is a mix between french, spanish and portuguese, every dialect has more of a language than the other, due to territorial domination from centuries and centuries. Then, one crazy dude called COLUMBUS took a primitive mega fun ship (no pools or whirlpools, nor spa, they had a F-deck though), departing from SPAIN and arrived onto those islands, they killed a bunch of natives and all of a sudden they were all speaking spanish and corverting into catholicism.

Big problem was when another crazy dude called MAGALLANES took another cruise ship, (different line though) and arrived to the same island, he killed a bunch of natives and a couple of priests, all of a sudden they were speaking portuguese.

They opted to speak all the languages at the same time to prevent being killed and thrown from a huge waterslide that ended in the bottom of the ocean.

:D :D :D :D

You have a point. You shouldn't have to tell them, but maybe they weren't the greatest DJ to begin with as another poster stated. I'll say this, sometimes we can think too much of ourselves. You know the typical, "Well they should see that there are other people on this cruise besides people from Puerto Rico. Why don't they play the Beach Boys?"

Look, there must have been some reason why the cruise was so heavily skewed towards Puerto Ricans or Latinos.

I'm wondering, how far did you go to find out? Did you talk to any crewmembers about this? Have you talked with anyone else who sailed on the Destiny recently to see if this is typical?

It was centered more around the Latinos because they far out numbered the other population of the ship. I didn't see a point in discussing with crew members the frustrations there was nothing they could do about it and most of them didn't understand english very well anyway except for the kind of drink you wanted (I'm not slamming them just being honest. They were all very nice especially Alex and O.T.) I have just seen posts today responding to me who say this is a typical Destiny Cruise. I might add that my daughter went two years ago on the Triumph to the Western Carribean (Jamica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel). That cruise did not have a Mexican atmosphere to it. It was just what I keep saying...steel drums, reggae, calypso, and other "beach music". If they DJ's on the Destiny were not the best, I shouldn't be the one to direct them in another direction. Who ever is in charge of entertainment, the cruise director, or other staff should be in tune (no pun intended) to what is going on and make sure things are being run to please ALL guests. That is not my job.

It was centered more around the Latinos because they far out numbered the other population of the ship. I didn't see a point in discussing with crew members the frustrations there was nothing they could do about it and most of them didn't understand english very well anyway except for the kind of drink you wanted (I'm not slamming them just being honest. They were all very nice especially Alex and O.T.) I have just seen posts today responding to me who say this is a typical Destiny Cruise. I might add that my daughter went two years ago on the Triumph to the Western Carribean (Jamica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel). That cruise did not have a Mexican atmosphere to it. It was just what I keep saying...steel drums, reggae, calypso, and other "beach music". If they DJ's on the Destiny were not the best, I shouldn't be the one to direct them in another direction. Who ever is in charge of entertainment, the cruise director, or other staff should be in tune (no pun intended) to what is going on and make sure things are being run to please ALL guests. That is not my job.

You have a point! We have been on the Mexican Riviera cruise several times and it is not a Mexican atmosphere, it is also steel drums, reggae, calypso music;)

You have a point! We have been on the Mexican Riviera cruise several times and it is not a Mexican atmosphere, it is also steel drums, reggae, calypso music;)

Typical mexican music is MARICHI music, do you wanna hear it for the whole cruise??

The funny thing here is that if they play some mariachi music, you would complaint too.

Typical mexican music is MARICHI music, do you wanna hear it for the whole cruise??

The funny thing here is that if they play some mariachi music, you would complaint too.

Yes I know what the typical mexican music is, thank you very much. I was agreeing with the OP, that caribbean music such as calypso, reggae and steel drums is the norm on Carnival cruises. That has been my experience on all 8 of them I have been on.

Yes I know what the typical mexican music is, thank you very much. I was agreeing with the OP, that caribbean music such as calypso, reggae and steel drums is the norm on Carnival cruises. That has been my experience on all 8 of them I have been on.

You are very welcome. How educated and polite from you, wanna be my friend?? :D :D :D :D :D

Wow 8 cruises?? geez you are my idol now, can i have your autograph??

To the OP good luck. This is my main reason I do not do reviews. You were on the cruise not the very rude people that are slamming you on this thread. They have no idea what the situation was because they were not there. Happy sailing:)

I have some questions, but I'm afraid to ask, lest I get slammed. We will be on the Destiny out of PR on August 6. We chose this ship beacuse we loved the itinerary and because we want to sail out of Puerto Rico. We paln to spend a few days at the end of the cruise in Puerto Rico to take advantage of the fact that we will be there. We've done lots of research and cannot wait for our trip! Puerto Rico is a beautiful island. I can't wait to experience it and plan to use my spanish as much as possible. No, I am not latino. I just like to embrace the different cultures and languages that I encounter on my vacations.

This being said, is latin music the only music that is played on the Destiny normally? While I love Salsa and other latino music, I would like to hear a variety of music and think that this should be the norm. While I personally do not like rap music, I would expect that there should be some of this played, as well as Latino, R & B, calypso, reggae, etc. I always thought that the music on cruises was a big mix, appealing to as broad a poputlation as possible. Is this not true on the Destiny? Also, is the entertainment not in English? My husband and my younger son will have no idea what is going on and my older son and I will really have to stay on our toes if this is the case. Please don't slam me, it is a legitimate question.

I would also like to point out to the OP, why were you surprised that the announcements were made in English and Spanish? There can't possibly be any vacation destination as American as Disneyworld, yet when you get on the monorail you will hear announcements made in English and Spanish. This has become the norm and I see nothing wrong with it. There are many countries where you will hear announcements made in the native language followed by English. I'm sure you see nothing wrong with this. Having announcements made in English and Spanish is exactly the same thing. It has always puzzled me that our country is only one where most people don't speak at least 2 languages by the time they are out of grade school.

If she has not stirred up enough excitement here, she is now starting another message board with the same subject under the carnival destiny meet on board forum.

so i really question what she is saying and her motives!

Hmm...

I leave Sunday on the Destiny, and this thread has been quite interesting.

The noisy/rude kid thing would bug me a bit, to be honest. Inappropriate behavior is not cool (ding-dong-ditching staterooms and such).

But, I must say, the rest of it -- what did she call it? a "Latino vacation" -- sounds great! I go on vacation to experience other cultures. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of people just like me and dance to disco music, I'd stay home and go to a bar.

Maybe I'll have a chance to practice my Spanish! I haven't spoken it since high school... :eek:

We have taken two Destiny cruises in the past five years. Each cruise

was during the month of February; either the first week or last week to

avoid spring breaks as much as possible. On neither cruise did we notice

a constant playing of latin music, salsa etc. In fact there was a variety of

music and food. As always we met many people from different cultures.

The announcements are always made in both languages on all of our

cruises.

Perhaps the OP chose a week when the ship was not sold out and the

locals took advantage of great pricing!! This was not the case on our

cruises and we consider the Destiny cruises our favorite vacations!!

The ports are exotic; the people very friendly. Our tours were fantastic

and we can't wait to go again!!!!

If she has not stirred up enough excitement here, she is now starting another message board with the same subject under the carnival destiny meet on board forum.

so i really question what she is saying and her motives!

My guess is that she didn't like hearing comments that would have made her actually DO something to bring about a different result. Her posting in another forum is her hope to find those who would support her negative feelings.

While the ship should play a variety of music, she stated that there was a large latino contigent on the ship. Perhaps it was just the opposite, maybe the latino clientel were the ones doing the requesting. Regardless, she had two options:

1. She can think all she wants how Carnival should be catering to her and others (they should) and play a wide variety of music and, therefore, do nothing to change the outcome when it was largely one-sided. After all, she paid how much for a cruise to be waited on and have every percieved thought and idea satisfied to a 'T'?

2. Get up, go over to the DJ and request some different music.

Instead she chose option 1 and let her assumptions of what her idea of this cruise should be take over. Then everytime she heard latino music or saw a Puerto Rican that made her feel left out she let it build up inside to the point that this was the first thing she posted about when she got back.

Isn't it funny, she talked about how nice all of the ports were, but the one thing she had to post was about the large latino crowd onboard. Maybe Americans aren't used to being second fiddle to anyone else. Maybe its too much pride.

Who knows, but I'll definitely be paying attention to this in December!

Sorry for your negative experiences Fun~N~Sun...I hope all your excursions were great!! :)

Now, here were my experiences on the same Cruise (different cruise week/month/year):

1) Salsa was played each night by a live band in the Criterion Lounge

2) Jazz was played each night in the Onyx Bar and sometimes in the Dining Room

3) I never heard a Spanish Karaoke song, but I might have missed it

4) No one was ever in the Piano Bar, but the Song list was English

5) The Disco had a retro night and most other nights were kind of Techno with some Salsa/Dance mixed in, but it opened too late for Adults for us to ever stay too long.

6) Announcements were made first in English and second in Spanish

7) The biggest population of children/teenagers on board were US/Puerto Ricans, but it was still a small amount in comparison to Summer time.

8) There were rude people in buffet lines- I didn't notice if they were Hispanic, European, or American. Some of the teenagers on board definitely needed lessons on their manners, but I see that at home :)

9) The first night at dinner was the only night we couldn't communicate with our tablemates- open seating. They were not Hispanic though; I think they were French possibly. We all communicated with body language and smiles, etc instead.

We all have different expectations and needs to have a good time. Maybe we could just take the information provided and stop beating up the OP for their opinions. They took their time to let us know their experiences and aren't a "fly by" poster trolling the boards.

PS- I think they did play some Calypso Music on the Lido Deck from time to time, but not by the Live Band.

We have taken two Destiny cruises in the past five years. Each cruise

was during the month of February; either the first week or last week to

avoid spring breaks as much as possible. On neither cruise did we notice

a constant playing of latin music, salsa etc. In fact there was a variety of

music and food. As always we met many people from different cultures.

The announcements are always made in both languages on all of our

cruises.

Perhaps the OP chose a week when the ship was not sold out and the

locals took advantage of great pricing!! This was not the case on our

cruises and we consider the Destiny cruises our favorite vacations!!

The ports are exotic; the people very friendly. Our tours were fantastic

and we can't wait to go again!!!!

I agree with the above. I have been on one Destiny cruise - during spring break no less - and it was fabulous. We flew into PR two days early and stayed one night after the cruise. I was so impressed by the FUN they have dancing salsa - the women all wore high heels and beautiful dresses and the men were always dressed nicely - and they all could DANCE. We loved it and if I had an ounce of rhythm I would give it a try.

I did not experience anything that made me feel anything but happy to be there. Destiny is a great ship - PR is a great island with great people - and the rest of the southern Caribbean was beautiful.

This only problem on this cruise was the same problem I have on every other cruise - TOO SHORT!!:D

My guess is that she didn't like hearing comments that would have made her actually DO something to bring about a different result. Her posting in another forum is her hope to find those who would support her negative feelings.

While the ship should play a variety of music, she stated that there was a large latino contigent on the ship. Perhaps it was just the opposite, maybe the latino clientel were the ones doing the requesting. Regardless, she had two options:

1. She can think all she wants how Carnival should be catering to her and others (they should) and play a wide variety of music and, therefore, do nothing to change the outcome when it was largely one-sided. After all, she paid how much for a cruise to be waited on and have every percieved thought and idea satisfied to a 'T'?

2. Get up, go over to the DJ and request some different music.

Instead she chose option 1 and let her assumptions of what her idea of this cruise should be take over. Then everytime she heard latino music or saw a Puerto Rican that made her feel left out she let it build up inside to the point that this was the first thing she posted about when she got back.

Isn't it funny, she talked about how nice all of the ports were, but the one thing she had to post was about the large latino crowd onboard. Maybe Americans aren't used to being second fiddle to anyone else. Maybe its too much pride.

Who knows, but I'll definitely be paying attention to this in December!

Speaking of assumptions:confused: Isn't that exactly what you are doing? You have know idea what she was thinking. She was there. It was HER EXPERIENCE. We were not there. Hopefully someone else that was on the same cruise can do a review. (without being flamed)

Sorry for your negative experiences Fun~N~Sun...I hope all your excursions were great!! :)

We all have different expectations and needs to have a good time. Maybe we could just take the information provided and stop beating up the OP for their opinions. They took their time to let us know their experiences and aren't a "fly by" poster trolling the boards.

Amen:)

Archived