Coffee? Sleep?

mmo

Am I reading it right that coffee is an item you have to purchase on the Princess line? I need to know for my 2 aunts that drink a lot of regular coffee, not fancy brews.

Also, we will be on the Island Princess in 2 weeks--experienced Alaska cruisers who had a balcony room---do they have room darkening drapes over the doors or need I be looking for sleep masks? Someone that was stationed in AK told me that we will be there at a time where it is almost always light out.

Thanks for any replies. Oh, comments on D501 on the Island--was it an okay room, is there a little bit of coverage on the balcony?

Am I reading it right that coffee is an item you have to purchase on the Princess line? I need to know for my 2 aunts that drink a lot of regular coffee, not fancy brews.

Also, we will be on the Island Princess in 2 weeks--experienced Alaska cruisers who had a balcony room---do they have room darkening drapes over the doors or need I be looking for sleep masks? Someone that was stationed in AK told me that we will be there at a time where it is almost always light out.

Thanks for any replies. Oh, comments on D501 on the Island--was it an okay room, is there a little bit of coverage on the balcony?

Absolutely NOT.

Coffee is always free in the buffet, and available 24 hours. Coffee will also be served free at all meals. You can order coffee from room service anytime for free (although most people tip a couple dollars.)

However, the quality of the free coffee is, well, controversial. Personally I like it, but I like strong coffee.

There is also a coffee bar that has gourmet coffee, and there is a charge for that.

all the people I have cruised with who are coffee drinkers thought the free coffee was just fine. Not fantastic, to die for, gotta' have another cup, but we didn't think anything of it until I got on here and read that people thought it was terrible.

As far as the darkening - we went to Alaska in the beginning of July. I had no problems at all on the cruise portion with the daylight at night, but when we were on the land portion, north of Anchorage/Seward I had problems. By the time we got south to Anchorage, it was getting dark "enough" for sleeping and we had a balcony cabin.

is to take clothespins. They do have the darkening curtains, but the gap was a problem. We use the clothespins keep the drapes together (providing they meet in the middle as ours always have) - plus you have something to use when hanging up any hand washing you might do (or swimsuits) over the tub. Also helpful for clipping pages of books or notes to something. We won't travel without them now.

Lots of coffee available and I think it's okay, but I don't drink it for the taste, but for the caffeine. Your aunts will be fine.

Have a lovely crusie,

Charlie

The comments above are our experiences too. On our last Dawn trip we go a Another option: Coffee Card for $24 (plus tip) that was good for 15 "fancy" coffee drinks. They punch the card when you get a latte or capichino or ??. If you have a nice waiter at dinner, he/she will not punch it every time. :D

Our AK cruise, especially getting farther north, in Jul we had daylight until 10pm. Other than late sunsets, we did not notice or have any problems getting to sleep. You need to be up farther north for longer days.

Archived