First RCCL cruise,,,AND THE LAST! At least on the Grandeur

I would like to thank the OP for their honest expression of their experience. It's not easy to put your opinions out there to possibly be flamed.

I've been on one cruise so bad that I expected to get at least a 50% refund and did get a cruise credit. I still enjoyed that cruise in spite of the cruiseline's problems because I worked at it. So I understand where OP is coming from. When I do a review, I too tend to point out the bad details but summarize the big picture, it is just a way to communicate.

Thank you,

Happy Cruzer

I agree. That's what a review is all about. The good and the bad.:)

Ahhh, Maryland Fried Chicken. That's not the same as KY FRy Chi. That makes me feel better about it. They were trying to compliment the port the ship sailed from. Still, on formal night? I do know the Corn on the Cob is a partial ear and treated more like a garnish. I'd avoid it, but some might like it.

Fried chicken is not so bad to have on the menu. When I sailed on Princess, they had pork and beans on the menu one night. Granted it wasn't a formal night but it did happen to fall on our annivesary,lol

The "Maryland Fried Chicken" is apparently not because of the Port of Baltimore. It was served to us on the Jewel in April out of Ft. Lauderdale. Personally, I like fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, but I don't really think it has it's place on the menu in the formal dining room. I would rather have seen it in the Windjammer instead of the turkey meatloaf at the "carving station" 3 days in a row!:eek: It's just more of the cost cutting routine.

Just in the last couple of years the drop in food quality is very noticeable. Not just on Royal but Celebrity also. It seems to be a common complaint of most of the other cruise lines also. I would love to be able to eat in a specialty restaurant every night. Unfortunately on Grandeur there is no specialty restaurant.

I see more complaints on this ship than any other and it seems to be the same complaints over and over. I hope that all of you put this down on your comment cards.

I had to add more paper to my comment card, at the end "this ship did not meet my expectations" and I don't have high expectations. I just never experienced a cruise that had everything low grade. I have been on older ships that had better food and entertainment. But this is just my honest opinion.;)

I really do not understand why it is necessary to belittle the experience of a poster whose experience does not match anothers.

I realize all cruise lines have fans but find the sarcasm really out of place. Perhaps it is attempt to dissuade any negative postings for a favorite line? This is the situation on most every board on this site.

I have cruised with RCI 47 times. Some of the cruises were fabulous, some very good, most middle of the road, and a few downright awful :mad: like my Granduer cruise over spring break five years ago where I thought I died and went to hell.

Whether another had the same experience as I did on the exact same cruise is irrelevant. We all measure cruises (and other vacations) based on our own experiences, tastes and expectations. What is one man's pleasure is another man's poison.

I posted live from Freedom a few weeks ago and, my goodness, I apparently am a Philistine as I was not wowed by the ship :eek:. She is pretty, yes, with some fabulous artwork, but I would never cruise aboard as I cannot imagine ever again setting foot on a Voyager class ship (I have cruised on AOS and VOS).

Those, however, are only my opinions and impressions, and I do not need others to validate them. Nor do I think others have the right to treat them as worthless because they are not in agreement with the legions of fans for those classes of ships.

There is no requirement on this site that you only make posts agreeing with another's opinions. What you may see as being "belittling" others, including the ones making the post, may see as simply expressing a contrary opinion.

PS - I checked the board rules, sarcasm is not prohibited.

Yeah, but come on. FRIED CHICKEN on a FORMAL NIGHT, or even worse, IN THE DINING ROOM???? That is SAD - no, it's really REDNECK of them to pull that off. Sure, I joke around sometimes, but THIS takes the cake!

Or the chocolate buffet! :D

What exactly are you trying to say here. How exactly would a ship being on the West Coast create problems. I have cruised out of the west cost many times and I can attest that we have no problems over here.

Perhaps, it's coincidence, but the worst Celebrity cruise we've ever been on was Mercury out of San Diego. However, our Alaska cruise out of San Francisco was fabulous.

I guess the lobster and fish will now be replaced by frozen fish sticks......

Why? Long John Silvers would be so much easier for them. :p

I still enjoyed that cruise in spite of the cruiseline's problems because I worked at it.

I know you were only relaying a positive attitude, which I read on these boards often. I've read it so many times in fact that I'm starting to wonder why anyone would want to pay for anything they had to work to enjoy. :confused: We've enjoyed all our cruises. Some were better than others, but I don't feel that it was our responsibilty to work harder at it, if the cruise had problems. We own our own business. If it had problems, we would be responsible to work harder to improve things not our customers.

Personally, a Caribbean cruise doesn't even appeal to me. Mostly because it is so crowded. I haven't been, because I read about how many ships are in port at one time and how everyone recommends the same excursions.

This isn't always the case. We've been on cruises, when our ship was the only one in port. If you choose a cruise longer than 7 days, your chances of fewer ships increases. All it takes is a little advance planning prior to booking.

Base your cruise on the overall experience, not just the food, especially not buffet food, not just the entertainment.

The food is a huge part of our cruise experience. We cruise for the ship, & the ports are secondary. I can easily see how a negative dining room experience could make a significant impact on one's impression of the overall cruise.

The "Maryland Fried Chicken" is apparently not because of the Port of Baltimore. It was served to us on the Jewel in April out of Ft. Lauderdale. Personally, I like fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, but I don't really think it has it's place on the menu in the formal dining room. I would rather have seen it in the Windjammer instead of the turkey meatloaf at the "carving station" 3 days in a row! It's just more of the cost cutting routine.

You guys are starting to scare me. :eek:

One last thought..... I've been reading lots of RCCL reviews in preparation for our 1st cruise with them. I'm starting to think too many. ;) Anyway, this isn't the 1st time I've read about the poor cleaning habits at the buffet. I read another review where someone mentioned the server pouring out a glass someone had left to wet the table with, then using a used napkin to wipe it off. Does anyone else remember reading that? It wasn't from this cruise.

One last thought..... I've been reading lots of RCCL reviews in preparation for our 1st cruise with them. I'm starting to think too many.

I think you can read too many reviews. The people who post fall into three camps:

- cruise junkies

- those who had a wonderful time,

- and those who had a horrible time.

The ones that often stick in your mind are the horrible ones. Remember that most people who cruise have a great time, or they wouldn't keep going back!

There is an old adage in customer service that if you thrill someone, they will tell no one. But if you make a customer angry, they will tell 10 people. With these posting boards they can tell thousands. For me, that puts it all in perspective.

In my earlier post, I said we were served the fried chicken - I ate it and it was good. I LIKE fried chicken - certainly lots better than the turkey meatloaf "roast" in the Windjammer. And sure, there wil alway be little things not exactly right, but I LOVE every cruise we've ever been on.My remark was not a criticism of the Jewel - cost cutting is system-wide. Just get me on a ship! That business about using a used napkin to "clean" the table in the Windjammer was NASTY - I'd sure have reported it had I seen such a thing!:p

So what's wrong with Fried chicken? It's a staple for Sunday Dinner in MD... cooked right it is not greasy at all. And many eat it with a knife and fork.

It's not like it's the only thing on the menu. And for some of us it is a treat - I don't cook much meat in my house anymore and I never fry food anymore - so having a piece of fried chicken is a splurge for me.

Did anyone try the fried chicken. Who know it may have been the best damn fried chicken ever. I would have at least tried it.:D
I'm also not sure why anyone is complaining about fried chicken being on the menu unless it was the only (or best) choice. I'd like to know what the other available entrees were.

You guys are starting to scare me. :eek:

One last thought..... I've been reading lots of RCCL reviews in preparation for our 1st cruise with them. I'm starting to think too many. ;) Anyway, this isn't the 1st time I've read about the poor cleaning habits at the buffet. I read another review where someone mentioned the server pouring out a glass someone had left to wet the table with, then using a used napkin to wipe it off. Does anyone else remember reading that? It wasn't from this cruise.

I read about it on another cruise line. Personally, when I read that my first (momentary) thought, was that they were pulling bad experiences from other people's reviews. Then my 2nd thought was, why didn't they immediately let somebody know, because that is one huge EEEWW!!

I think your experience is individual to each ship via the Hotel Director. The Captain sails the ship, but the Hotel Director runs the operation where the guests are concerned. You should definately try to find out who he is and send him a note of your experience, as well as the RCCL corporate 'safety' person in regards to the cleaning issue. I am sure they would be very interested in that bit of info. It all starts at the top as they say and the personality of the 'hotel' definately comes from the director and his staff.

I was on the cruise. I can attest that yes, on formal night, fried chicken and corn on the cob were an entree on the pre-printed adult menu, and since it was the only food I like served that evening, I ate it. It was OK, but not great. I really hated eating fried chicken and corn on the cob when I was dressed up.

I did not eat in the Windjammer often, but I did see the staff use actual cleansers on the tables. That does not mean what the OP saw did not happen.

There was a supply problem on the ship which was fixed when we were in Port Canaveral according to our waiter. There was limited ice cream (bananas foster had to be served with coffee or pistachio ice cream) and they ran out of white vinegar which meant that they used red vinegar for eggs benedict--and that meant the eggs were pink. They also ran out of salmon.

I posted my experience on the cruise in a separate post.

We are still waiting to hear what the "other" choices were for dinner on that formal night........that poor chicken is taking a heck of a beating.......but surely there were other choices?:confused:

Archived