(2) Elderly + (3) 35-42 = Enjoyable Disney Cruise?

azlove2cruise

I have always liked the idea of a Disney cruise. I've only sailed once so far on RCL - Adventure of the Seas. I had such a great time, I'm booking my next 4-5 cruises already. I loved all the entertainment options on board Adventure. But then again, it is the only cruise I've been on so far. I'm also booked on the Caribbean Princess and the Crown Princess. My TA, however, advised against Disney because we would not be traveling with kids. She mentioned that although we like kids, there are just way too many on Disney cruise ships, and that the entertainment was more geared toward children. Those of you out there who have sailed as a family in our age groups without children...your thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm looking to sample different cruise lines and ships. Oh...in case this influences your comments....parents are in their mid 60's, and this would be their first cruise.

Howdy,

We have done 11 DCL cruises. 8 of those we did as a middle aged couple with no kids or grandkids along. They were awesome!! We have 3 more booked and 2 of them it will be just the 2 of us.

Yes there are kids, it is DISNEY!!! But we love seeing the kids having so much fun. Families having quality time together, it is such a happy atmosphere. The only place we really noticed the noise was by the Mickey pool. But that is to be expected. They do have adult only areas if you want to be left alone and they do a good job at enforcing that policy.

The food is great, the entertainment is awesome!! yes there are characters in the shows but they also have lots of humor that only adults would pick up on. The people have lots of talent, every bit as good as broadway in my opinion. Plenty of 18 and older events around the ship too. If you dont like all the loud music and dancing in the clubs you can go to the Promenade lounge for good music that wont blast your ears too much. I would recommend you try it at least once, you wont be sorry!!!

There are lots of adults on board with no kids, you wont be alone.

Dining rooms are a bit noisy sometimes. If that is a problem for you ask for late dining. People with small kids try for early dining times. However it seems about 1/2 way through dinner lots of kids fall asleep. Palos is an 18 and older restaurant and it is nicer dress. It is reservation only, but it is a nice change for you if you want a quieter meal. There is a $10 charge per person. That is not for the food, it is the gratuity.

The friendliness of the CM's is outstanding. We always feel like family instead of a passenger onDCL.

If you have any specific questions, please ask and I will try to help you.

mom x4,grandma x4

I have been on both the Wonder and the Magic. I am not a real "kid friendly" person..Never have had children and not real keen with spending my vacation with them. With this said, I loved the Disney Cruises!!! I never felt there were alot of children around...although I stayed mainly in the adult areas. I did visit the childrens pool, and spent some time at the family pool. I had second seating, and ate at Palos a couple times. Most of the children were in the first seating. I think the ships are beautiful, and the crew fantastic! Didn't miss a show, and they were wonderful!!! I would highly recommend DCL to anyone! Go and have fun!!!!

Has your agent ever been on a Disney Cruise?

My TA, however, advised against Disney because we would not be traveling with kids. She mentioned that although we like kids, there are just way too many on Disney cruise ships, and that the entertainment was more geared toward children. Those of you out there who have sailed as a family in our age groups without children...your thoughts would be much appreciated.

It sounds to me like your TA has never cruised with Disney - bad advice! I am a 51 y/o single guy and I love Disney cruises!:D I was never a big fan of the Mouse, but Disney just does everything right! I have done 5 Disney cruises with one booked for this coming Sept and one booked for June next year. I've never felt overwhelmed by kids...in fact, unless you spend a lot of time around the kids pool or family pool, you'll hardly notice the children at all, certainly no more than you notice kids in the grocery store or mall. The thing about Disney is that they have so many things to do for adults that you don't even mind that there are many kids on the ship with you.

As a point of comparison, I just got off the Adventure of the Seas this past weekend and have sailed Mariner and Sovereign in the past year. The kids were more noticable to me on the RCI cruises than on the Disney cruises. Not to mention the fact that Disney has much better production shows in their theaters, better food in the dining rooms, just plain better, all the way around. I enjoyed my RCI cruises and will sail with them again, but I prefer Disney, hands down!:D :D :D

• 1 month later...

we were a group of 14 with 6 kids my mother and mother in law came with us and had a great time.. me and my sister were commenting on the fact that there was about 800 kids on board but you did not feel like you saw them all the time. the only time you saw them was at dinner early dinner . also the shows are so wonderful you would love it,, my husband andy my sister and mother in law and mother does not want to try any other cruise ship.. hope you decide to go it will be a magical experience... :D

Archived