Diamond Princess - Mexican Riviera - Sept/Oct

azlove2cruise

Has anyone been on this cruise ship sailing this same itinerary and season? I'm hoping for some really enthusiastic responses either way to help me make my decision. I would do the Caribbean again, but already have one set for next month and another at year end. Los Angeles is also much closer and easier to get to, so that's a plus. We are also starting to worry a bit about hurricane season due to our sailing dates. We wouldn't be so worried if it weren't for my parents and brother - it's their first time on a cruise ship. We sailed during hurricane season last year with seas as smooth as glass. Not sure our luck will hold out this year. So...anyone say Mexico on the Diamond?

You did not say if this was the usual 7-day or extended 11-day trip. We have done the 7 day itinerary four times. February, October and December and will doing the 11 day trip in November.

September-October are the “stormy” months. Seas may be rougher and expect warm rain every day, 20 min to an hour. Don’t worry about the rain, it’s only water. Forget about rain gear. Hat with a brim and a plastic bag for your camera.

Count on rough seas the second to last night. Against the wind and current year round. The worst was 14-foot seas, the best 3 feet.

JLP, I respectfully disagree. Fall and early winter are among the better seasons on So Cal and along the coast. We have lived in a costal town near the cruise terminal for 38 years and have found that in the Fall the weather has settled down and we get some of our warmest days then. Also, Fall is not the rainy season. Bottom line, California and Baja are not Florida, and if there are no storms around, you ain't gonna see rain!

We live about 15 miles from San Pedro (the port) and have done the Mexican Riviera four times--on Carnival Elation, Crystal Harmony, Star Princess, Diamond Princess and Seven Seas Mariner. We're about to do it again this September on Silversea's Silver Shadow. We like this itinerary because we drive our car (laden with way too many bags) to the dock, dump the luggage, park, and sail.

The way the weather usually plays out is that the first day or so can be chilly unless we are having Santa Ana winds, which are hot desert winds. But by the second day when you are past Ensenada, it starts getting warmer. By Cabo San Lucas (usually the last stop on your return) it's really warm, as it is in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, which are further south. If you are on an 11-day, which we have yet to do, it can only get warmer.

All in all, a fun itinerary. And a wonderful ship (Diamond Princess, that is).

Have a nice cruise.:)

Hello, me again!

Just re-read JLP20 and I'm sure since he/she/they sailed to the Mexican Riviera four times, they have every reason to call the weather as they saw it.

Well, all I can say is that in our five trips, it has never, ever rained one drop on us! And I still don't know where y'all get those daily showers from.

As for the seas, you can always expect swells in the 6-8 foot range (or it can be flat). Although we have never experienced really rough seas, friends who have sailed this itinerary have occasionaly reported heavy seas. But again, barring a major storm (not likely at this time of year) it shouldn't be too bad. Besides, Diamond Princess is 951-feet-long, so how bad could it be?

Over and out.:D

From a Mazatlan weather web site:

"Mazatlan Weather and Climate

The coastal areas are hottest and the humidity highest between June and August, although temperatures rarely go above 90°F (32°C). The rainy season is from May to mid-October, with brief late afternoon tropical showers particularly along the southern Pacific coastal areas, including Acapulco. Hurricane season affects the southern Pacific coast from June to October, although in the absence of hurricanes the cool winds can make it the perfect time to visit."

HI We have also sailed this time of year on the diamond, and loved it !

the waves in the pacific are a little rougher then in the Caribbean , but my husband loved the body surfing he experienced in Puerto Vallerto, the itinery is very nice, except if on the 7 day cabo san lucas is only 6 hours if that, I need more time in port in my opinion, 7-2pm which means 7-130pm

not alot of time, but the diamond is beautifull, and we love princess and are planning on going to the mex riveria again in 2007 out of San Diego, Thank you, Becky

I don't know if you can it, but I sailed twice at the end of Noveber. Once on the Diamond and once on the Sapphire. Both times we had absolutely beautiful weather. Also, one of the least expensive times of the year to sail; after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

Oh no! I'm scared:eek:. Anyone say Eastern or Western Caribbean instead would be a better/safer bet? It's looking like a 9/30 or 10/1 sailing date for us. I definitely need warm weather and as calm as possible seas. I have both itineraries reserved, but need to make a decision. Both itineraries are 7 day sailings. Hubby is concerned that the Caribbean itineraries run right through the hurricane paths that time of year.

My vote/recommendation to you for a September/October cruise is to go to the Mexican Riviera. Official hurricane season for caribbean runs June - November. The Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta areas experience rain during August and early September. My husband is a captain and we cruise often. As far as commercial cruises go, the Diamond is our favorite ship and the Mexican Riviera is our favorite itinerary. In fact, we will be the on 9/23 Diamond, for the 3rd time. Can't go wrong. Go for it!

We've sailed the Mexican Riviera 5 times (we're going again on September 30th, on the Diamond, to the Riviera) and NEVER, NEVER has it rained or even drizzeled in September/October. It was raining in L.A., (October, 2005) when we left and as we cruised more and more south the sun finally came through!

It's a wonderful itinerary, that time of year. We try and cruise every cruise line so that it becomes a trip about the cruise ship not about the ports.:)

We've cruised the caribbean, the same time of year and the seas were so rough that you couldn't walk on the decks! And schlepping everything back to the airport and than onto the plane and than into the car.....forget about it......

I so agree about the L.A. thing....It's so much more fun to just drive up to the pier, drop off your bags and spend the day exploring a new ship, rather than that "fakakta" plane trip, worrying about your luggage and being so damned tired, that it takes the first day just to catch up on rest!

We're also doing NCL, in November, to where you ask? The Mexican Riviera, only this time we're going further south to Ixtapa, etc.

If I'm going to work, then I'm going to play!:D

The ships, the smells, the food, the relaxation, the fun, the crews and most of all the fabulous people you meet on board! What could be better?:confused:

Okay, Okay family is truly the best! I'm talking about vacationing part of life!;)

Enjoy,

Roz

My vote/recommendation to you for a September/October cruise is to go to the Mexican Riviera. Official hurricane season for caribbean runs June - November. The Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta areas experience rain during August and early September. My husband is a captain and we cruise often. As far as commercial cruises go, the Diamond is our favorite ship and the Mexican Riviera is our favorite itinerary. In fact, we will be the on 9/23 Diamond, for the 3rd time. Can't go wrong. Go for it!

I agree 100% with this recommendation. I've been in PV on vacation twice during the 'rainy season' (Oct & Nov) and never saw a drop.

Archived