Malibu Rum Factory

Marley_Girl

Has anyone gone to this? Do I have to pay for the tour or do they have a gift shop that I can just go to? Malibu Rum is the only rum I drink and would love to get a good deal on it. For the smaller size bottle I pay about $14, is it cheaper in Barbados at the factory?

Malibu is a flavored rum w/ coconut and I don't think it is made in Barbados. If your ship goes to st. Martin or St. Thomas you should be able to buy a ltr. for less than $10. It may also be available in the ship's duty free shop. Otherwise try Cruzan or Mt. Gay's coconut flavored rum. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

While in Barbados my family went to the beach near the Malibu Rum factory. We did not tour it, as we were just looking for some beach time after a snorkeling excursion. However, there was a gift shop and we bought both the coconut AND a lime flavored rum there at a decent price. It has been several years ago, so I don't remember exactly how much!

1. Malibu rum is manufactured in Barbados.

2.go to www.Barbados.org you will be able to find outmore information.

3. a couple of months ago I inquired on the boards about Malibu Beach. Read through several pages of the threads and you might come across the info. One member posted pictures of Malibu Beach and the factory.

Have fun and enjoy. I will be there next April on the AOS.

• 3 weeks later...

When I did the tour several years ago, it didn't take too long. I think the name of the excursion was Malibu Beach Break. Short tour, a couple of free drinks, and the use of the beach chairs and umbrellas near by for a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We are from the islands originally and have stayed in Barbados both for business and pleasure besides dropping in for the day via cruise ship. Bear in mind that the lime Malibu can only be bought in Barbados and in France. Their shop sells the small souvenir bottles that are great as gifts. The kids do not like the tour because they didn't like the rum aroma.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone else mentioned, the rum is more expensive there, it WAY cheaper in St Maarten & San Juan and even cheaper in St Thomas. The beach is gorgeous and there is great snorkelling spots there as well. the tour cost $20 and its includes a beach chair and an umbrela as well as a drink, and the best part of it all is the proximioty to the dock.

So if we wanted to spend more time than the ship excursion allows, is it possible to get to Malibu Beach using a taxi or a local bus? Also, how easy is it to get from the beach to the Malibu Rum Factory and back?

Thanks

The taxi ride from the dock is literally 5 minutes away, there isnt a local bus that goes all the way there, though my hubby and i did walk halfway back and took a bus the rest of the way :)

The factory is directly behind the beach so it takes seconds to get there.

Enjoy!

m-oni

thanks for the info on the transportation. we will grab a cab then and spend more time at the beach. there are 6 of us in the group, are there van type taxis, or will we need two?

also, is it easy to get a taxi back, or should we make arrangements with the cab driver on the way there?

thanks again, appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...
m-oni

thanks for the info on the transportation. we will grab a cab then and spend more time at the beach. there are 6 of us in the group, are there van type taxis, or will we need two?

also, is it easy to get a taxi back, or should we make arrangements with the cab driver on the way there?

thanks again, appreciate your help.

sorry to take so long to respond!:o

There are taxi vans that will take you there. Also there are quite a few parked outside of the beach as well!

Did the tour and enjoyed the beach last week. It is a very short cab ride to the beach. For $20 (my husband says it was $10 US, but I think it was $20) you get the tour, rum samples, free rum drink or soft drink, beach chair and umbrella. There are bathrooms and changing room and also a reasonably priced restaurant-with good food. Beach was very clean. No snorkeling though. You can see the ship from the beach. There are probably prettier beaches (more remote), but we wanted something close to port and also wanted to do a rum factory tour, so this suited us quite nicely. When we were ready to leave, there were plenty of cabs to take us back to the ship. Our cab drivers were both very nice and very informative. Coming back, 2 of us were dropped off in town to do some shopping and 2 went back to the ship. The hopping was good-including nice department store with reasonable prices. We loved Barbados and would return for a "land" visit. We found it to be very clean, friendly and felt quite safe.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the tour on 11/30. It lasted a good 45-minutes, you wear hard hats and you will do a bit of walking over uneven ground so wear appropriate footwear. The tour will include 2 drink coupons for beverages of your choice from the grill/bar at the beach...you can also purchase food and beverages, alcoholic and non-alcoholic here. The tour also includes tasting of several types of rum made at the distillery.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, both Malibu and Mt. Gay Visitors Centres are only open M-Fri 9AM-5PM. The same holds true for the Banks beer brewery.

The only distillery open on the weekends is Foursquare in St. Philip. There is much more there to see than just the brewery, although somewhat touristy, it’s not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Question, I'm a little confused. Doesn't take much.

Is this a tour through the ship or on your own when you arrive at the dock?

Also is this near the Boatyard? I've heard or read the rum factory was fairly close to the boatyard.

Is there water sports banana boat ride available at Malibu beach?

Any info much appreciated?

• 2 weeks later...
Question, I'm a little confused. Doesn't take much.

Is this a tour through the ship or on your own when you arrive at the dock?

Also is this near the Boatyard? I've heard or read the rum factory was fairly close to the boatyard.

Is there water sports banana boat ride available at Malibu beach?

Any info much appreciated?

The Boatyard is South of the docks....Malibu and Mt. Gaye are North of the docks. Yes close (a couple miles) but two different directions! You can take ship excursion (costs $$$) or you can do it yourself (still cost $$$). Really it's very easy....just grab a cab and tell them where you want to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived