Anyone been in lowest deck cabins in bow?

Our very first cruise was onboard SS Norway (less than $1,000 for both) in a tiny cabin with bunk beds all the way forward. The cabin was located over the bow thrusters and next to the chain locker, so we had intimate knowledge when we were in or leaving port. There was considerable noise and vibration, but not when we were at sea going from port to port.

We've been cruising since; just not down and all the way forward.

But hey, go and enjoy what you can afford; other than to sleep and change clothes, most folks are not in their cabins that much anyway.

Best wishes,

captgeo

Yes. Twice on the old NCL Sea. Once in an inside cabin, once in a porthole. We did have quite a bit of noise from the anchors the time we were in the inside, but never noticed them from the porthole cabin.

The porthole one was quite fun. I was conscious of the waves hitting the side of the ship, but it just added to the sensation that you were really at sea. I enjoyed that quite a bit.

As far as motion, we had more trouble with motion on our Alaska cruise, which was a balcony cabin, deck 11 forward on the Sun. It's hard to compare, however. Different ship (even though I would have expected less motion on the newer ship) and totally different itinerary. We did hit a pretty good storm coming back from Alaska, and the ship was definitely moving. On the Sea, we had high winds leaving Cozumel that actually kept us in port about 2 or 3 hours longer than scheduled, but we didn't notice any trouble in the cabin once we finally got out to the open seas.

One more quick comment: the only time we heard the anchors was when the ship tendered. If you're docked, you don't need to worry. Our experience with them was in Belize. It was our first cruise, they dropped anchor about 6:00 in the morning, and just about scared me to death. At least you'll be expecting it -- I had no idea what that noise was :D .

I love the anchor sound! You can hear it even on high decks if you're forward. On the Jewel in November, the crunch of the dropping anchor woke us in our deck 10 cabin early in the morning...but it's a sweet, sweet sound, the sound of the sea.

We were on the lowest deck, four cabins from the bow on the Sprit. The only time that it was "interesting" was when the seas were really rough. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster, but I don't think that it would have been much better anywhere else on the ship either!

Archived