Sand & Sunless Tan Don't MIX!

Well ladies ... I have a warning for you.... a lot of you probably already knew this, so I am a dummy I guess.

We live in a gated community that has several private beaches, and a pool. Monday, I had all the kids "lubed" up w/ sunblock and were ready to go. Neighbor, who was also going with us , calls and says the pool is closed.:eek: We decide to go to one of the beaches instead.

Let me start by saying that I am the one who has raved about the "Fake Bake" brand of sunless tanning cream. Love it... however....

I know you can see where this is going, but I'll spell it out anyway.Sunless creams and lots of water combined with sand DO NOT MIX!!!!!

My toddler (23mos)hated the water at the beach. She would walk up to the shore, over and over, and then freak out trying to climb up me. Her little feet, of course wet and full of sand.

Bottom line, by the time we left, I looked like I had vitalago or some other skin disorder. (Please do not be offended by that comment as it is a true statement, not said in a joking manner)I had huge, HUGE patches on my feet and calves that were completely white, while the other areas were deep dark brown!!!:eek: BTW, it was a beautiful day.... the beach was packed.

Word to the wise, if you are 'sunless tanning it', stay away from direct friction of any kind with sand!!

The water has not bothered it in the past weeks. It did fade slightly, BUT EVENLY!

No biggie.. I reapplied... FIXED!

This, this was bad! I had to go home, soak for hours in the tub, take a loofah and well.. basically rub hard enough and long enough to remove the leftover tan.

Needless to say, I will not be needing microdermabrasion treatments ANYTIME soon!

Oh... the horror of it all..

Also, wouls should have seen my tub when I was done!! I looked like I had , I don't even know.. scaled a fish of something in there. I was was awful.

Lastly, my husband has NO PITY! He laughed,,and laughed..and laughed.He does not understand the desire for color to start with.:confused:

I have finally restored even color to my body, but may never recover emotionally from the emabarassment of the whole ordeal.;)

Have a wonderful day...

I have been following along with these threads on "Fake Bake" products for quite some time and desperatehousewife you cracked me up :D Sorry that happened to you, but I too have all kinds of problems with tanless suntan lotions. I have way too many age spots on my legs to use it. I've tried many many kinds and it just makes those age spots darker (black almost).

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry your little girl did not enjoy the beach.

Linda

Another warning about the lotions with just a little self tanner in them.... last week after I got out of the pool on the Freedom my ankles and the tops of my feet looked orange! :mad: Legs were still okay. Very bizarre, don't know if it was something in the water or getting more sun there than on my legs.

Bandaids do the same thing as I found out! But I can add something to this thread: do not mix different self-tanners! At least that's my experience. I had been using Jergen's "glow" with great results, and decided to try the Dove product since others liked it. WRONG WRONG WRONG! After day one, I had "no color" splotches everywhere. Apparently the chemistry didn't work together. I scrubbed the old off (I bought 2 bottles of Dove so have to use it), and started over again. The color is fine, but I now know not to mix apples and oranges:eek: . Pun intended.

Thank you for the warning. I have been using Dove energy glow and love it. I knew it was too good to be true. I went to the tanning bed Saturday, the first time in 2 months. I got burnt!!! I mistakenly thought my fake tan would protect me, but boy was I wrong. Now, I know I must be careful at the beach next month also.

Edited to say: My husband would have no mercy on me either. He doesn't understand the tan thing.

Well, I just checked back in and I am so glad you all got a good laugh!

I laugh now too but I WAS NOT laughing when it happened!:eek:

I was going to give myself a pedicure tonight as we leave on a mini vacation in the morning w/ the kids( no not a cruise:( )Now I am afraid to stick my feet in the jet bath I have!!:eek:

Hmmm... maybe I should give the vanity up....

Let me think...( tick toc, tick toc)

(bell rings)....Heck no!!!!;) :cool:

Bandaids do the same thing as I found out! But I can add something to this thread: do not mix different self-tanners! At least that's my experience. I had been using Jergen's "glow" with great results, and decided to try the Dove product since others liked it. WRONG WRONG WRONG! After day one, I had "no color" splotches everywhere. Apparently the chemistry didn't work together. I scrubbed the old off (I bought 2 bottles of Dove so have to use it), and started over again. The color is fine, but I now know not to mix apples and oranges . Pun intended.

You made me remember something else....

Alcohol does that too ( the band-aid thing)!!!!!!!!!

When I gave birth to my daughter it was summer and I had "sunless tanned it" b/c I tried to limit the sun exposure while pregnant.( Heat factor and all)

WELL... I am at the hosptial and they are trying desperately to start the I.V and having trouble.They call for backup from the lab.

In walks this GORGEOUS man instead of a woman lab tech.

He swabs my arm w/ alcohol, and to BOTH of our horror... the cotton ball turned orangish BROWN!!!:eek:

He literally did a double take and eyeballed me... I swear he took a step back from me! :(

I KNOW he immediately thought.."Geez lady, your pregnant, not dead...TAKE A FRIGGIN' BATH!!!"

I tried to explain, he was nice but kept eyeballing me I swear...

Wow, I'm getting the shivers recalling that memory too! I thought I had buried it in the deep recesses of my mind, but when I read that..BAM!! Right between the eyes,there it was!:eek:

Why oh why do I torture myself?:confused: ;)

I don't understand how that happened. Are you saying that you put the self-tanning lotion on the same morning you went to the beach????

No,No,No! I had had it on for a long time. I started in May, exfoliate once a week, and reapply once a week to keep it dark. Water doesn't bother it, but I guess the sand worked as an exfoliant!BIG TIME!

I don't understand how that happened. Are you saying that you put the self-tanning lotion on the same morning you went to the beach????

no, no, no! I have been using it since May, or so. I exfoliate and reapply once a week to keep it dark. I guess the sand acted as an exfoliant!BIG TIME!

no, no, no! I have been using it since May, or so. I exfoliate and reapply once a week to keep it dark. I guess the sand acted as an exfoliant!BIG TIME!

Wow that is weird. I have used a self tanner for over two years...been to the beach many times and never had that happen. But, I always have some natural tan too, so that must have been my saving grace!!

Desperate - lool.gifI don't think I would get any pity or sympathy from the husband either. It's gotta be the sand acting as a defoliant, taking off your top layer of skin. Then, your alcohol comment - I initially thought you meant that drinking alcohol would remove the fake bake! How goofy is that?! Then the tub story - you really had me giggling tonight.

10splyr - Thanks for the tip re: mixing (or not) products. I've only used the Jergens but couldn't find it at Walmart the other day. Was going to try the CopperTone (love that smell) or Neutrogena. Finally found the Jergens in another aisle. Am glad I didn't have to mix it up.

Today I did the serious scrub (yuk - the shower:eek: ), and am now starting over with the Dove (b/c as you know, I have 2 bottles to use). And I am now oh so pale. I think my tennis partners tomorrow a.m. will now know "my secret" to such nice color on my legs:D . Better than another melanoma.

This may also be a dumb question...I have used the 'Mystic Tan' that is sprayed on in a tanning salon and have not had any trouble. The other product I bought, but have not tried is the aerosal spray-on self tanner (which got a good review in some magazine I was reading last time I was getting my gray hairs covered up.)

Any feedback on the 'mystic' spray on tan. It costs $100 for 12 sessions.

Amy

Desperatehousewives, I know your post was about the fake tan but I related to the baby afraid of the water.

One of mine was terrified of moving water at about the same age. We tried walking with him along the edge, pouring water on his toes, everything we could think of. He screamed in terror. He couldn't talk well enough to tell us why he was so afraid.

One day my husband picked him up and carried him in his arms. He ever so gradually walked at the edge of the water. Back on land. Further in the water. Talking gently about who remembers. That seemed to do the trick for us. By the end of the day our little guy was wading while holding Daddy's hand.

That little boy grew up long ago but it brought back sweet memories.

I wanted to let you all know what happened to 'the tan' after a vacation to the waterpark!!

Well, considering I stayed FAR AWAY from any sand.... I TURNED OUT OK!!!! YEAH!!!:D no more albino spots here!!

We were constantly in water. The tan faded evenly because of it. At night, all I had to do was reapply the sunless ltion and I was good to go!!

( I used another cheaper product, review below,to fill in instead of Fake Bake for the short time we were gone)

HOWEVER, since I seem to be the connoissuer of late on sunless tanning products & use (;) ;) )I have a a word of caution:

Do not use Bannana Boat lotion. IMO it renders a very fake color..orangy yellow.

I thought it might be that I used it on top of my Fake Bake, mixing products and all. NOPE.I gave it to a friend with no fake tan, and lillte natural and she looked like she had a liver disorder.

She was P---ed at me!!!!:p So, word to the wise on that one.It turns you dark, but people might assume you just left the UV lights they put jaundiced babies under!!:eek:

I used Banana Boat last year, and had an occasion (for lack of a better word!) to visit my doctor. He walked in the exam room, took one look at me and his eyes went very wide as he said: "why is your skin so yellow? I'll order blood work STAT!" I laughed and told him it was tanning lotion. And then I went home and scrubbed my skin off, and then tossed the Banana Boat.

As soon as the Dove is gone, I'm back to Jergen's as it works best for me. But as we all have said on this thread, everyone is different. Thank God:D

I used Banana Boat last year, and had an occasion (for lack of a better word!) to visit my doctor. He walked in the exam room, took one look at me and his eyes went very wide as he said: "why is your skin so yellow? I'll order blood work STAT!" I laughed and told him it was tanning lotion. And then I went home and scrubbed my skin off, and then tossed the Banana Boat.

As soon as the Dove is gone, I'm back to Jergen's as it works best for me. But as we all have said on this thread, everyone is different. Thank God:D

BTW... it transfers BADLY to clothing days after putting it on!:eek:

Any feedback on the 'mystic' spray on tan. It costs $100 for 12 sessions.

Amy

Amy - Why do you pay for 12 sessions of the mystic tan up-front? Is it like a tanning salon where you have to go back often to have it reapplied? If you just want it once, for a special occasion, can you do that? I've never done it so I'm asking because I'm curious.

Thanks. :)

For those of you who are connoisseurs (that's a hard word--I had to look it up!) of self tanners: Has anyone ever tried Body Shop's self tanner? A friend of mine gave me her body & face self tanner from Body Shop because she just got back from Jamaica with a nice tan & is now going to a tanning salon to keep it up. Before I try using it, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has had any positive/negative experience with it. Thanks!

Archived