Just got back-helpful hints-Island Princess & Land Tour

bayman

Just returned from 1 week cruise (NB)on Island Princess and 1 week land tour w/ Gray Line. Hints : it was warm and sunny EVERY day of our trip.Temps were in the high 70's to the high 80's. We never used our heavy(warm ) clothing. We also never had rain,one cloudy day -in Juneau- but that was it .We all got sunburned! Bring some warm weather clothing,sunscreen,and bug-repellant.We did some ship's excursions and some independent and enjoyed all.Land tour took us to Denali and Kenai. Only drawback to land tour was too many 1 night stands.Cruise was great,Alaska was wonderful. Embarkation was smooth at Vancouver.Long line at the airport when we landed. Debakation at Whittier was smooth .Flying out of Anchorage -leave at least 2 hours -long lines everywhere-at the check-in and at security.We flew United on the red-eye and it was the most crowded plane I've ever been on -they must have added rows of seats ,because there was no leg room . We actually got out a tape measure and from the edge of the seat to the back of the seat in front was 8 inches(if the seat was in full upright position). The temps on board the ship were warm,dining room was always warm.Rachel ,the onboard naturalist ,was excellant.Her talks were always crowded and rightly so. In Denali ,we stayed at the Kantishna Roadhouse in the Park,and had a great time there. All 4 days that we were in the area we had clear views of Mt McKinley. We have The Great Alaskan Toursaver Books ,for sale for $50.00 , if anyone is interested.We used a few coupons which more than paid for the books.Didn't use any on the inside passage. We have cruised many times ,but this was the first w/ Princess and we were favorably impressed. Will go w/ them again. Bayman

bug-repellant

I take it mosquitoes were the problem. This was up at Denali, right? Didn't need it at the ports of call, I hope. (I don't like the feel of bug stuff... yuk.)

Did you post a review of the Island Princess? We have it booked for NEXT summer, but I would be interestred in your experience...you cabin, the restaurants, service, activities and if you know anything about it, the kids club.

Many many thanks...I'm glad you had such a good trip and goregous weather....that's the best in Alaska.

Bugs were bad in Denali ,and in Anchorage surrounding Mts. . Not bad in ports of call . We were very impressed w/ I.P. Lots of room ,balcony was great, food was uneven. Ate at formal sitting and some meals were terrific and some were so-so. Also ate at Sabatini's -enjoyed it ,but don't know if it was worth the extra $2o per person .

Archived