QM2 engine room tours possible?

sdrawkcab

Its not normal but sometimes you can get it, if you have a good reason..Talk with one of the officers or write a note to the chief engineer or the captain explaining why you should get a tour.....a good reason is if you were an engineer on a ship....they sometimes grant these...

No public tours are officially allowed.............. as with everything, if you are lucky enough to meet the Chief engineer at a function, you may be invited.

I was on the QM2 eastbound voyage around Cape Horn, and suggested to both the Captain and Cruise Director as so many people are interested in the "behind the scenes" areas, perhaps a documentary should be prepared and shown on the onboard TV.

Surprisingly, I was informed that it was already in production for release later this year, but they did organise the Chief Engineer to give a presentation in the Illuminations theatre. It was well attended and a booklet of photos and facts was handed out. He presented a slideshow and answered questions for a long period of time on everything from the Air conditioning to the sewerage system to the propulsion pods and waste disposal.

I would like to think that Cunard could make it a regular event on each voyage.

Everyone who attended was most impressed with both the presentation and the technology onboard.

A similar presentation is part of every Royal Caribean cruise. The Captain and his ship operating officers present a one hour slide show on the ship's operations and answer questions. It's always an interesting and well attended event. Cunard should adopt it.

No amount of creeping around the Chief Engineer would get you into the engine room, but you might be invited into the control room where you can gaze at banks of computer monitors and switches.

I tend to agree with Bollinge - I have gotten as far as a Control Room (with an invitation) on a ship, but never actually into the engine room.

I have a bro-in-law, a mechanical engineer of sorts, who was able to "wangle" a tour of an engine room.

Niether of those incidents were on Cunard.

Archived