What are the hours of the Flowrider?

What are the hours of the flowrider? For something that features so prominently in their adverts, IMHO barring maintenance and weather/sea concerns, it should be running as much as possible.

How cool would it be to be riding at sunset or sunrise or even under the stars? I should hope they have the staff just to run the flowrider to allow for maximum hours.

Flowrider hours vary. I will dig out my compasses and post the exact details later, but basically they carve time up into blocks - Boogie Boarding, Advanced Boogie Boarding, Stand Up Surfing, and on some days, Teen versions of the aforementioned categories. They did open the Flowrider up one night for about an hour (10-11pm I think).

Overall, it's open a decent amount of time, but not to the point that I would have expected given how prominently it's promoted.

RCCL,

If you're watching...take note...some people expect a lot out of these new attractions you've added and only pay a premium for Freedom with the understanding that you'll actually run them on a full schedule.

What I suspect is that perhaps they are being staffed by the CD crew, like bingo and when they have other 'duties' they have to close down and tend to those.

There are not enough hours on this feature. They do not have it open while in port, but they do have staff trained for just the Flow Rider. However, there is a schedule as stated above and unless you already can surf, figure on YOUR time being limited. Get there early - I suggest that all females wear t-shirts and guys tighten up the drawstrings - it will rip the clothes right off of you when you wipe out - and you WILL wipeout!

RCCL,

What I suspect is that perhaps they are being staffed by the CD crew, like bingo and when they have other 'duties' they have to close down and tend to those.

This is a good thought, but I don't think it's the case. They seem to have an army to staff the Flowrider (we observed several of them surfing away while the Flowrider was "closed" in Jamaica) and I think they are all specially trained in it. If anything, I think the more limited hours may boil down to the cost of running the equipment and pushing all that water through (but I could be wrong).

Let's give RCI the benefit of the doubt on this one. I don't want to give the impression that Flowrider wasn't open, b/c it was. You just really had to read your compass and plan accordingly. It was the first cruise with a smaller-than-usual # of pax. Perhaps as they sail with more and more pax, the hours will be extended. It's not like there were huge lines of people waiting to use the thing when it was open. I will try to publish the daily hours in this thread later today for those that are curious.

Every time I went back there (which was several) it was open. Although I carry around the "events schedule" tear off sheet from my compass, I am very lazy about referring to it, and just go with the flow (pardon the pun).

I also never saw a tremendously long line...maybe 5-8 on each side at the most. Here is a picture I took while wandering around on the last sea-day. This is when one would expect the hugest crowds...everyone trying to squeeze in the experience. As you can see, it isn't a mob-scene.

You enter the flowrider from the side, so the lines look to be five on one side and about 9 or so on the other.....

2836666020084648988ZTPrjq_ph.jpg

Tracy

Thanks Patrick! I think it is fairly representative too. Now, if only there wasn't a woman's rear growing out of my back, it would be close to perfect. I was psyched that someone was able to snap it while there was actually someone UP on the flowrider!

That last day, I wandered the ship asking people to take my picture in the various venues. When I uploaded them, the last day looks like a "where's Waldo" medly, but not very difficult to find Waldo, with the white cover-up and pink hat! LOL

Tracy

Day 1 / Sunday / MIA

- Boogie Boarding: 12 - 4pm, 530 - 730pm

Day 2 / Monday / Sea

- Advanced Stand Up: 815 - 9am

- Boogie Boarding: 9am - 1pm

- Stand Up Surfing: 1-3pm

- Boogie Boarding: 3-5pm

Day 3 / Tuesday / Cozumel

- Stand Up Surfing:9-10am

- Boogie Boarding: 10 - 11am

- Teen (12 - 14) Boogie Boarding: 4-5pm

- Boogie Boarding: 5-6pm

- Teen (12 - 14) Boogie Boarding: 10 - 1130pm

Day 4 / Wednesday / GC

- Surf Camp: 9 - 10am

- Boogie Boarding: 10 - 11am & 6-7pm

- Stand Up Surfing: 5- 6pm

Day 5 / Thursday / MoBay

- Boogie Boarding: 9 - 11am

- Teen (12 - 14) Stand Up Surfing: 5-6pm

- Stand Up Surfing: 6-7pm

Day 6 / Friday / Labadee

- Boogie Boarding: 9 - 10am

- Stand Up Surfing: 4-5pm & 6-7pm

- Teen (15 - 17) Stand Up Surfing: 5-6pm

Day 7 / Saturday / Sea

- Stand Up Surfing: 9 - 11am & 1-3pm

- Boogie Boarding: 11 - 1pm & 3-5pm

Thanks GMoney. important info!!! me and the girls have to plan for this one! think formal night, hair done, salon appoinment, etc. etc...haha. I gotta do it though!!! Well "try it" will be more like it. haha. I plan on having everybody get their cameras ready before hand. They gotta be quick as I hear a wipeout is inevitable!!! haha. I'm studying it all now. Looking at the videos I have so I can plan how I will perpetrate!!!! haha.

Thanks GMoney. important info!!! me and the girls have to plan for this one! think formal night' date=' hair done, salon appoinment, etc. etc...haha. I [b']gotta[/b] do it though!!! Well "try it" will be more like it. haha. I plan on having everybody get their cameras ready before hand. They gotta be quick as I hear a wipeout is inevitable!!! haha. I'm studying it all now. Looking at the videos I have so I can plan how I will perpetrate!!!! haha.

I'm sure you will do fine! The good thing is that RCI has a photog at Flowrider regularly taking pics. My friend was on that thing all the time and they got some great high quality pics of him.

I'm sure you will do fine! The good thing is that RCI has a photog at Flowrider regularly taking pics.
How soon before a website of lost tops and bottoms flowrider pics shows up on the net? Wanna start a pool?

Glad to see the schedule, thanks...I guess first reports may have been a little misleading - looks like some good hours to me.

The hours aren't bad, but don't be deceived. If you are new to flowriding, as most are, only the boogie board hours will apply for you - and most everyone else - which means longer lines and fewer chances to improve. Once you get good enough to stand you can then go to those sessions.

Factor in other cruise activities and normal shore excursions, and your time becomes a little more limited.

Thanks GMoney. important info!!! me and the girls have to plan for this one! think formal night' date=' hair done, salon appoinment, etc. etc...haha. I [b']gotta[/b] do it though!!! Well "try it" will be more like it. haha. I plan on having everybody get their cameras ready before hand. They gotta be quick as I hear a wipeout is inevitable!!! haha. I'm studying it all now. Looking at the videos I have so I can plan how I will perpetrate!!!! haha.

I'm sure you will do fine! The good thing is that RCI has a photog at Flowrider regularly taking pics. My friend was on that thing all the time and they got some great high quality pics of him.

That is great news about the photographer being there. They can probably tell me how to best perpetrate for the best shot. haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Can you please tell me if there is an extra cost to use the Flow Rider on the Freedom. We are debating between that ship & the Zuiderdam for our next cruise. We need to decide very soon, so somebody please help! My boyfriend would be on the Flow Rider as much as possible! An extra fee may make it less appealing! Thanks! :)

What are the hours of the flowrider? For something that features so prominently in their adverts, IMHO barring maintenance and weather/sea concerns, it should be running as much as possible.

How cool would it be to be riding at sunset or sunrise or even under the stars? I should hope they have the staff just to run the flowrider to allow for maximum hours.

Archived