Booking Amendment Fee

rjms74

Hi,

I have recently changed 2 confirmed reservations for 2007 with Cunard twice and the first time I did not incur any booking amendment fee but this time round I have been charged £100. I think this is very unfair especially as I make at least one if not two Cunard cruises each year and usually in Grill class / single cabins.

Has anyone else had any experience of the above as I know in the past Cunard have never charged such a fee especially to loyal passengers! I'd be interested to find out if the same rule applies to US bookings?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Basically I changed my booking to another new cruise due to work commitments no air travel involved, I am going to pursue this with Cunard though maybe when I am onboard QE2 next in Sep this year, Admittedly though I did change my original booking twice! I still think as a regular Cunard passenger a lesser fee of say £25 was more realistic!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Basically I changed my booking to another new cruise due to work commitments no air travel involved, I am going to pursue this with Cunard though maybe when I am onboard QE2 next in Sep this year, Admittedly though I did change my original booking twice! I still think as a regular Cunard passenger a lesser fee of say £25 was more realistic!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I don't know if this helps (prob not!) but if it lessens the blow, try to think that you were charged £50 for each change, and, if there are two of you, thats £25 each. If it's just you, well then you got a 50% discount as a repeat passenger! There, told you it wouldn't help! Hope I never change my plans, a warning to us all.

Thanks for all your posts so far - the way I suppose I should look at it is that out of my 7 Cunard cruises to date I've been very lucky to be upgraded on 4 trips and mostly from PG to Queens Grill so I have saved quite a few £'s / Dollars!

Regards,

RJMS74

Ah ha! UK tariff cancellation fees!

Once upon a time Cunard US charged a 10% cancellation fee regardless of when the cancellation was done.. even before final payment.

Thankfully, it was dropped.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, it was paid to the agency making the booking in the first place.

Has anyone else had any experience of the above as I know in the past Cunard have never charged such a fee especially to loyal passengers!

To my knowledge Cunard has been trimming costs for the past 15 years at least. When we were first on the QE2 we were paying almost as much for Mauritania as we do now in the Princess Grill. With that drop in price there has also been a drop in the standard offered: once upon a time you got proper Champagne at the Captain's reception; the midnight buffet was grander than the gala buffets they have occasionally and was every night; the bed linen was changed daily, at the Ward Room party drinks were just poured, now they use measures; There was the "Cunard Club" otherwise known as the "Anne Bright Club" (not the World Club - that's something different) that gave fantastic freebies pre, during and post cruise; I could go on but there are far too many places where Cunard is not quite as Cunard as it was to mention.

I don't mean this as a criticism of Cunard, just a reason why they might be imposing the amendment fee - of course it was always there, but previously it was just waived as a matter of course.

There was the "Cunard Club" otherwise known as the "Anne Bright Club" (not the World Club - that's something different) that gave fantastic freebies pre, during and post cruise;

pnhmrk. Those were the days!! and when you called the Cunard Club you normally got through to Anne Bright and she would normally recall who you were straight away!! of course we did pay a membership fee (shock horror) back in thoses days, but it was definately worth it!!

Anybody remember what became of Anne

cheers Myles

Anybody remember what became of Anne

I think that she retired, but what's happened to her now I've no idea (I've just dome a Google search and not come up with anything relevant).

As to the membership fee it was extortionate (:D ) but they would let anyone at an address join for the one fee.

Archived