Eastern Caribbean - favorite excursion?

belowradar

With the news of the tropical disturbance in the Caribbean and our Conquest cruise in 2 days, I am following the kind advice of posters on CC and looking into "alternate" Eastern Caribbean excursions, should our Western Caribbean cruise change its ports.

Please post ideas here. We are a family of 4, 1st time cruisers, husband and I are "late 40s",our two teens are 13 and 19. We plan to snorkel (have brand new equipment).

Thanks!!

With the news of the tropical disturbance in the Caribbean and our Conquest cruise in 2 days, I am following the kind advice of posters on CC and looking into "alternate" Eastern Caribbean excursions, should our Western Caribbean cruise change its ports.

Please post ideas here. We are a family of 4, 1st time cruisers, husband and I are "late 40s",our two teens are 13 and 19. We plan to snorkel (have brand new equipment).

Thanks!!

You will not be going to the Eastern Carribean on the Conquest, it is too far. If anything changes, chances are Montego Bay would be dropped and either a sea day or a Gulf port will be added. Most likely ports would be Key West, Progreso, Calica or Costa Maya.

Any suggestions for Progreso, etc.?

Progreso is a beach town for the locals who live in the city of Merida. The beach is long and shallow. The pier goes almost six miles out into the Gulf. You can sun on the beach or enjoy the restaurants on the malecon.

You can take a city tour of Merida which I would highly recommend. Merida is a beautiful city with an old Cathedral.

You may be offered a tour to Chichen Itza if you are in port all day. The Mayan ruins are a two hour bus ride each way from Progreso but those who have taken it say it was worth the trip. I have never been there.

Here is a link to my pictures in Progreso:

http://community.webshots.com/album/497246697mtDHHv

Chichen Itza is a great tour. It is a long ride and it is very hot and humid once you are away from the coast. Take plenty of water and maybe a "spritz" bottle to spray your face.

It would be a "once in a lifetime" tour for you and your family. The ruins are magnificent!

So much depends on where you are going. I posted a review that included a tour in Calica. I don't know how to attach it (feeling stupid) but if you click search and type in Calica excursions it will come up I'm sure. It was titled 'just off the Elation 3/30' I think. That was one of the best tours. I was really skeptical at first because it was a private your. So many people had talked about them though. I guess you could do the same search for Edventure tours, which was who we booked with. Like anything else there were a couple of things that did not go as planned but they weren't huge. The tour was though. She took us to two places. One was the guided tours through the caves. I had to talk my husband into it, and he raved about it. It was incredible. One of those things you just don't forget. I don't know if you could do that without a guide. We found out later they did have a ship sponsered tour, but they were getting there as we were leaving, and it was a huge group. I went on a tour once that had a large number of people snorkling and I did not like that too much. Just not the same. The beach we went to though, you could easily take a cab there on your own, swim, see the sea turtles. Also, I don't think I mentioned this in my review, but she told us that she can also take people to see dolphins. Have you seen the price of swimming with dolphins? I have always wanted to do that, but I just can not make myself part with that kind of money per person. I thought our tour was a little high considering we did not have food. Dolphins would have increased the value some. If you do not go there, just click on search and type in where you are going, excursions, and you should get a lot of info. A lot of people rent vehicles and have fun. I saw some things there that would make me say not recommended (it's in that review). I did see on the ship list of tours a tour that involved swimming with stingrays. I thought that was a Grand Cayman thing, but apparently not. We did that in Grand Cayman and it was really neat. The stingrays were as big as me. I was not scared at all. We went to the spot on a Catamaran that only held about 15 people plus crew. That was great. We saw big boats that had people crammed in like sardines. No comparison. I hope you have a great time. I wish I was going again! Let us know all the details!

Archived