Salmon Fishing- Juneau or Sitka?

tropicaltravellers

My husband and I just returned from an 11-day cruisetour on Radiance of the Seas and booked a sportfishing excursion through RCCL. Our excursion began at 12:30 -4:30pm. We had captain Keith Grabe (called the "fish killer" by folks on the pier.) Four of us fished for 2.5 hours and caught 6 king salmon while many of the boats caught only 1 or 2 fish and many caught things other than salmon (red snapper, ling cod, etc...). I would recommend Sitka based upon our experiences but then again I don't have any experience in other cities.

The boats that RCCL used for the excursion are all available for charters. Apparently those who are not booked for private charters then participate with the ships. You may be able to contact someone like Keith directly and schedule a shorter trip if 4 hours is too long but that is most likely the least amount of time offered since you travel about 30 - 45 minutes out and back. Good luck!

Archived