At last! Pictures of the New Century!!!

Sparkle 123

Uh oh! We have booked an SV for next summer. I hadn't thought about cigar smoke from the Sunset Bar. We've sailed in aft CC/FVs and the only time smoke was a problem, it was from the cabin next door, not from the bar.

Has anyone been in one of these cabins? I'm thinking about changing to a CC, but the price has increased since we booked. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the pictures.

Very good.

Hope they change the Galaxy the same way.

I really hope they DON'T change the Galaxy or the Mercury the same way.

We always look forward to enjoying the aft part of decks. Why should just a few people get access (via balconies)?

Check out the picture below:

http://www.pbase.com/jsullivanjr/image/41657360/original

Ine I have a question of a different sort. Next year Century sails out of Rotterdam. How easy is it to travel from Schiphol to Rotterdam? My past experience involved total gridlock on the highway too often in rush hour. Is easy to get to interesting areas from the port? Is the train system the best way to get from Rotterdam to Schiphol?:confused:

Uh oh! We have booked an SV for next summer. I hadn't thought about cigar smoke from the Sunset Bar. We've sailed in aft CC/FVs and the only time smoke was a problem, it was from the cabin next door, not from the bar.

Has anyone been in one of these cabins? I'm thinking about changing to a CC, but the price has increased since we booked. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Sunset Bar on all the ships has always been a place where people go to smoke cigars. They even sell them there. So if you've been in cabins aft before and haven't smelled the cigars, there shouldn't be any difference this time.:)

I imagine the showers are small. Do they have curtains that blow in and wrap around you when showering? I found that really annoying when I was on the Empress of the Seas. Also, it looks like the closet space are just cabinets. Did you hear of problems getting reservations at Murano's?

Thanks for the pictures and the other helpful info you have given!

After seeing photos of the Sunset Verandah cabins, we've switched to a CC cabin. I don't mind that it's not all that private, but from the look of the photos, it seems as if you are actually part of the aft bar/cafe area. We had #1242 and in addition to the balcony being weird shaped and appearing not very usable, it just seemed too close to the bar/restaurant area.

Ine I have a question of a different sort. Next year Century sails out of Rotterdam. How easy is it to travel from Schiphol to Rotterdam? My past experience involved total gridlock on the highway too often in rush hour. Is easy to get to interesting areas from the port? Is the train system the best way to get from Rotterdam to Schiphol?:confused:

There is a trainconnection from Schiphol airport to Rotterdam Central Station, then by cab, tram or metro to Erasmusbridge and walk a few minutes...

Not a very convient way with luggage of course.

Probably th cruise-line will offer transportation by bus, but wait for more details.

Cab from the airport to the cruise-terminal will likely costs you over Eur. 100.- one way.

There used to be door-to-door shuttlebusservices from the airport, it is not mentioned anymore, but I will try and find out.

Do you travel on the day of departure or do you come earlier to Amsterdam or Rotterdam?

Do you travel on the day of departure or do you come earlier to Amsterdam or Rotterdam?

I usually cruise to the port and fly home. I would like to post any information on next year's transatlantic site.

The roll call is for the April 26, 2007 sailing of Century. I am familiar with Amsterdam's port since I've cruised there a couple of times already. Next year Celebrity will be using Rotterdam and other cruisers might be flying in for the following cruises.

I have driven from s'Gravenhage through Rotterdam and Den Haag to Schiphol through some pretty bad traffic in the past. I have never been to the cruiseport.

Arno

Rotterdams cruiseport is on a small island in the port - close to city center, next to the white Erasmusburg. check this webcam:

http://www.virtualvisit.nl/webcam/index.htm

It is the place where all HAL ships used to leave for their transatlantic journeys. The former HAL building is now Hotel New York:

http://www.hotelnewyork.nl/

Nice place to stay or for a drink. There are watercabs into the city.

It is a different city then Amsterdam. Rotterdam was bombed in WWII, so the heart of the town has many highrise buildings.

I think it is more industrial, although the Maritime Museum (many HAL things) and Boymans-van Beuningen are very nice Museums.

It is a busy industrial port that tries to get its share in cruise-passengers.

For about Rotterdam:

http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/

Traffic between Rotterdam and Schiphol is over an always very busy road, so take enough extra time.

Archived