Balcony vs CC

alfiemom

We're booked on Millie's TA in November. The cabin we booked is the same one we stayed in on Infinity so we're very happy with it.

That said, the prices on CC cabins have dropped for this cruise. Probably no more reduction in our balcony cabin (TA will check tomorrow), so it brings the CC cabin more inline with what we're paying.

We're in 7049 - at the jut of the ship and find the view to be wonderful (no lifeboats below us). So the question is: is it really worth $300 more per cabin (for the 2 of us) to be in a CC? I've read all the things others have said about aft vs non-aft, but that's not the issue. My DH asked if the CC was something I wanted to upgrade to, but I really don't know. We already have a balcony, we're near an elevator and the cabin has plenty of room.

Do I want a CC and why?

On our first cruise we had a regular balcony cabin and still enjoyed the cruise. That said, this last cruise we were in a CC and will never go back. First perk, priority embarktion and debarktion- in San Francisco this made the difference of 20 minutes to get on board vs at least 2 1/5 hours. Then we had a cold bottle of Champagne waiting for us in our Cabin. We were able to request body pillows for our bed, which really helped with sleeping. The flower were a nice touch. The fruit was good and we noticed that it was changed everyday. The sheets and duvet were a better quality. One of the biggests pluses was the shower head. It was not just a stationary shower head, it was one that could be hand held when needed. The canape's everyday was another nice touch.

On our first cruise we had a regular balcony cabin and still enjoyed the cruise. That said, this last cruise we were in a CC and will never go back. First perk, priority embarktion and debarktion- in San Francisco this made the difference of 20 minutes to get on board vs at least 2 1/5 hours. Then we had a cold bottle of Champagne waiting for us in our Cabin. We were able to request body pillows for our bed, which really helped with sleeping. The flower were a nice touch. The fruit was good and we noticed that it was changed everyday. The sheets and duvet were a better quality. One of the biggests pluses was the shower head. It was not just a stationary shower head, it was one that could be hand held when needed. The canape's everyday was another nice touch.

I agree with all the reasons above, plus a couple more that I found well worthwhile:

The Concierge Class breakfast menu!;) Much, much better selections than your ordinary continental-style choices. Those fruit smoothies are yummy . . . Also, in addition to the upgraded showerhead, the towels are thicker and bigger, and your bathrobes are thick, plush terry (as opposed to the waffle-type in the regular cabins). And let's not forget the priority tendering, and the 21 extra square feet (CC cabins are 191 sq. ft. - cat 2s are 170 sq. ft.):cool:

$300 more for the two of you is a very good deal, IMHO.

As for "best" CC cabins ... I've seen 6143 - it's fabulous. I vote for any of the four CCs on Deck 6 - 6143, 6144, 6135 or 6136 - same upgraded furnishings as their suite neighbors. Their verandahs are bigger, too, with teak floors! I can almost guarantee you that none of these will be available - you have to be one of the first to book.

stayed in #6143 on the Summit last year (2005) southbound Alaska and it was a great room. loved the balcony. Just did seem a long ways towards the back of the ship all the time and their was a bit of noise from the stewards going in and out of doors in the hallway. The room itself was super!

stayed in #6143 on the Summit last year (2005) southbound Alaska and it was a great room. loved the balcony. Just did seem a long ways towards the back of the ship all the time and their was a bit of noise from the stewards going in and out of doors in the hallway. The room itself was super!

I'm glad to hear the nice things you were saying about #6143. We now have the same cabin booked for our Southbound Alaska adventure next year. My last cruise was on RCL Serenade of the seas, southern itinerary. We had cabin #1100 which was an aft cabin with a view of the wake. I was actually quite excited about the layout on Summit, until I considered that maybe the aft stairs on Summit were like on Serenade. On Serenade, the aft stairs were for crew only. Therefore, on Serenade, if you wanted to go to the Windjammer Restaurant which is 11th floor aft, you had to walk to from aft to mid-ship, then go up a floor and then walk all the way back. It was the same as walking the entire length of the ship to go up one deck above you.

Are the aft stairs on Summit or any other M Class ship crew only?

Mark

No. Also, there is an aft elevator that goes on up to decks 10 and 11. It is about in the center of the buffet area on deck 10.

That's great! With that in mind, being at the back of the boat (Summit) will be a great experience. Considering that our cabin is #6143, that means it's a short walk to the stairs, then down one level to main dining or just a short elevator ride up to the Waterfall Cafe/Grill. If you want to do a lot of walking, book aft on an RCL Radiance Class Ship. Your nearest stairs/elevators are mid-ship. This is great!

Mark

Archived