What's up with categories of balcony cabins?

PhilBiker

What's the difference between categories for basic balcony cabins? Why are some categories so much more expensive? Is it considered "better" to be in higher deck cabins or cabins at the center instead of the front or back of the boat? Are higher priced balcony cabins nicer somehow? Can anyone shed some light?

Much of it is perception. People think some placements are better than others. To some extent, the middle of the ship is preferred vs way front or way back. With that said, the most expensive cabins are often at those extremes - reverse logic I guess.

Also, it is believed that higher decks mean better. In reality, lower decks can center cabins are better if you have motion issues. Some do not.

Views are often an issue as lifeboats or other equipement might block the view. Sometimes there are slight size issues.

In the end, they price different because they can.

Wow that was fast. I thought that was the answer. :) They need to be able to have a variety and this allows them to do so. We just got our cabin number from our TA and got upgraded two categories (up one floor, nearer the center). I had a feeling we would be upgraded.

Do any of the balcony staterooms on the Pride of Aloha have bad or obstructed views? Or are they all good? It seems that BE and BD are never available. What's the deal with those? It seems most likely we'd book BC if we get a balcony cabin. Even if BD and BE were available, I assume there must be something "wrong" with them. And, I see no point in booking BB just to be on a higher deck with more noise and more motion; and no point in booking BA since those would also have more motion.

All balcony cabins are not obstructed. However a one deck or two decks of a oceanview cabin, picture window, can be obstructed. I don't believe there are any obstructed view oceanview cabins on the Pride of Aloha. Its lifeboats are on a public deck level, the same as the Sun and Spirit. However, the newer larger ships, Star, Dawn, Jewel, and Pride of Hawaii, plus Pearl and Gem do have obstructed oceanview cabins, the deck below the three balcony decks and above the public decks.

All balcony cabins are not obstructed. However a one deck or two decks of a oceanview cabin, picture window, can be obstructed. I don't believe there are any obstructed view oceanview cabins on the Pride of Aloha. Its lifeboats are on a public deck level, the same as the Sun and Spirit. However, the newer larger ships, Star, Dawn, Jewel, and Pride of Hawaii, plus Pearl and Gem do have obstructed oceanview cabins, the deck below the three balcony decks and above the public decks.

I know that the Disney ships have some obstructed view balcony cabins on all decks, not just the deck with the lifeboats. Some of them are obstructed because they have metal rather than plexiglass, so you cannot see anything. And some of them are obstructed because of the shape of the ship. Does the Pride of Aloha have any of those cabins? I would think it probably would, since it was built in the same era as the Disney ships.

On another note, balconies right above the tenders can be extremely noisy in the wee hours of the morning when the crew starts to lower the tenders.

Scared the crap out of us when we were on the Star in March (balcony on deck 9).

On another note, balconies right above the tenders can be extremely noisy in the wee hours of the morning when the crew starts to lower the tenders.

Scared the crap out of us when we were on the Star in March (balcony on deck 9).

Which rooms on the Pride of Aloha are directly above the tenders?

Archived