Booked by Celebrity in Barcelona at the AC Barcelona

Has anyone stayed at the AC Barcelona pre-cruise?? We thought that Celebrity would have good choices for our 1 night precruise stay, but I'm unable to find out exactly where in Barcelona the hotel is. No one has suggested that hotel as a place to stay. I hope that we haven't made a mistake. I sent in the final payment and am awaiting our papers and reservation info. Want to know if we can walk to any of the major attractions in Barcelona. I want to see the Gaudi Cathedral, we haven't been able to purchase/book any excursions from Celebrity for Barcelona, so I don't even know what is available, Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to find something like this and couldn't. Sounds like I'm going to be disappointed. I wanted to be closer into town and maybe be able to see something. Really don't want to go all the way to Spain and spend my time in a mall. Think I'm going to try to change.

Melissa, Thanks for the suggestion. Husband called Celebrity today and they said we were only 10 min. from downtown. Maybe you are right. Will try calling again just to check it out. When our documents show up it should clear up everything. Husband having computer trouble with his computer, so will have to check with him later. Documents are due in a few days.

Are you sure it's not the AC Diplomatic? It's supposed to be an awesome hotel and it's very popular with the cruise crowd!

I always stay at the AC Diplomatic when in B'lona. I love that hotel. The beautiful granite bathrooms with soaps shaped exactly like a golf ball, the modern room decor with soft light woods and comfy beds. Breakfast on the mezzanine is excellent with as good a selection as a ship's terrace cafe.

To me, the location is much better than the hurly burly of being directly on La Rambla. The Diplomatic is surrounded by leafy green trees, a welcoming neighborhood, and is one street over from the Hop On, Hop Off buses and tourist sights. You can easily pop into the Metro from the hotel.

And I like getting paninis at the bar across the street instead of being skinned by a large hotel for a simple sandwich. It's a very honest location, excellent hotel and staff. You'll be lucky if that is your place.

By the bye, AC is a hotel chain with upscale hotels all over Spain and I think France. Hope you enjoy the Diplomatic if that's where you're booked. I'm not a travel agent but I sound like one when I talk about this hotel. To me, it is an elegant home.

Ruby

Hi again!

If they're saying it's 10 minutes to downtown, then I'd bet it is the AC Barcelona and not the Diplomatic.

My guess is they're probably talking about 10 minutes just to get to the downtown area, and NOT WALKING, so that's really not all that close.

If it were me, I'd stay somewhere else. I'm planning a trip for next year, and my most important criteria is location. If I were staying somewhere for a week, I'd be willing to be a little farther out. But when I need to tour a whole city in a day (pr-cruise), I want to make sure I don't spend precious time travelling!

Good luck figuring it out!

Melissa :)

Thanks again for answering all of you. Will talk to DH later (when computer is fixed) and will make these suggestions. Son and husband are busy trying to figure out the computer. Not a good time to talk. At least mine is still running.

I have been to Barcelona twice and have stayed in the area of Las Ramblas and the area at the end of the Diagonal now known as Dela Mar Center. Adjacent to the Dela Mar Shopping center is the Hilton Hotel where the AC Hotel sits back behind the Hilton. Next door is the convension center. The T-5 Meto runs up the Diagonal where it would be real easy to ride up to within four blocks of Sagrada Familia. The wife and I needed the exercise and walked it (Two miles). Also in the area is Dela Mar beach. You walk three blocks down from the Hilton and you will find a really nice sandy beach with sidewalk cafes. Note once you see the blue barriers that indicates the area of the clothing opinal beach. This area is very nice, very clean, and if you need local transportation the hop on bus is 1/2 block away. My wife would stay in this area anytime. Tim

Manycruisers last year suggested a hotel on the Ramblas, the Continental, a small little place of 60rooms with free continental breakfast and internet service...I found that Celebrity prices were way out of my category and when we got to the hotel found that many Celebrity cruisers using the same hotel. We also found a guide/driver through cruisers and I can't rave enough about Auriello.. Auriello was raised outside of NYC.. We were not impressed with the church, but learned so much more about the Gaudi influence in the architecture of the city.. One of the highlights was stopping to take pictures at a flea market and church and I noticed a mural on the side of the building across the way.. It turned out to be a Nativity scene by :Picasso..outstanding..

Archived