A Current Affair Brimble story

Star-Man

dont know who here watches it but a current affair just had a go at the dianne brimble story.

much like the today tonight previous rantings.

id like to hear anyones thoughts on this story and of the media slandering P&O at any chance they get.

take care,

sam.

dont know who here watches it but a current affair just had a go at the dianne brimble story.

much like the today tonight previous rantings.

id like to hear anyones thoughts on this story and of the media slandering P&O at any chance they get.

take care,

sam.

Just caught up with the Foxtel sceening of ACA. Yet another case of sensationalism that we have come to know and expect from Australia's "current" affairs programs.

The so called employee (the contract magician) who was told to shut up - of course he was, but not becuase they wanted to cover it up but because it was under investigation.

Of course they would keep it from the other passengers - there was nothing that the other passengers could do about it. It's a well known thing that there are deaths on cruises - mostly of natural causes - but they don't announce these to all and sundry, and I personally don't believe the cirucumstances surrounding this warranted telling everyone - the police were involved and they had a good idea who was resposisble, the likelihood of further instances of the same nature was low.

On last night's 7 news, the reverse side of the postcard was shown, and it clearly showed the logo of a large travel agent chain, with no P&O logo evident. My guess is P&O did apologised for the card via ACA, only because they realised that they would be seen to be responsible, and if they didn't it would be seen as some sort of admission that they'd done the wrong thing with the advertising.

And of course the glaring mistake was that they showed footage of Pacific Star and kept refering to it as Pacific Sky, although there were one or two shots of Sky, as well as the crime scene photos of the cabin.

and there we go, today tonight has had another crack at it and this time digging up the old drugs under the door footage.

the australian media makes me sick :mad:

sam.

Sam, you aren't the only one. Just as well we weren't home to see that - as I think we would have done some serious yelling at the tv.

Of course, that was all taken on Pacific Star in March - on the cruise we went on, and was a complete work of fiction, we got this from the security gaurd who was supposedly involved - and I'm afraid I'd believe him over a reporter who was on board the ship under false pretenses any day.

It would be interesting to know if the reporter took his camera into the show lounge while a show was on - beacuse if he did he'd have been breaking copyright laws about filming the performances.

And as for the Dianne Brimble inquiry, we've been buying the Daily Telegraph the last couple of days to follow it, and from that and what has been on TV - and it's good to see that the media aren't buying the "I'm the victim" story that one of the person's of interest tried to push in his police interview on board the ship (which has just been covered at the coronial inquiry).

I'm sorry - a woman, a complete stranger, dies in YOUR cabin under suspicious circumstances and YOU want an apology from the captain because YOUR holiday was spoilt???? I don't think so Mr.

Kym

i think the part of the story that made me laugh the most was when the host (whatever her name is) said that the coroner had asked Today Tonight to help exclusivly with the investigation in any way possible.

yea they'll help, with ridiculously false information :mad:

what does the media have against cruising anyway?

not to people:

they aren't ridiculing the cruise ship or P&O, it's the men most of the focus is on. it would be the same if something happened in a hotel. they would refer to the hotel all the time because thats where the death had happened, or a street, cause that was the place where events took place.

your taking it way to seriously as a criticism of yoursleves because you like the ships that everyone else you think is critising.

dont worry we know the truth lol;) :rolleyes: i dont think anyone takes those shows as journalism anyway they are more light entertainment programs, i mean last night, products are getting smaller but we are still paying the same price was there lead story. my mum recognised this like 3 years ago. up-to-date journalism ay:o

not to people:

they aren't ridiculing the cruise ship or P&O, it's the men most of the focus is on. it would be the same if something happened in a hotel. they would refer to the hotel all the time because thats where the death had happened, or a street, cause that was the place where events took place.

your taking it way to seriously as a criticism of yoursleves because you like the ships that everyone else you think is critising.

dont worry we know the truth lol;) :rolleyes: i dont think anyone takes those shows as journalism anyway they are more light entertainment programs, i mean last night, products are getting smaller but we are still paying the same price was there lead story. my mum recognised this like 3 years ago. up-to-date journalism ay:o

My issue with the reporting of the Dianne Brimble case (and the alleged drug problem on Pacific Star earlier in the year) is that they are not presenting factual informaton, and in some cases are simply creating the situation (ie the drugs on Pacific Star). I have a problem with them doing this in just about every article that they do, but in this particular case because it's about something that I happen to enjoy and don't want to see totally destroyed, that I get riled up.

Yes they are ridiculing the ships and the company - they are saying, by implication, that you shouldn't go on a P&O Australia cruise because they are basically floating drug and alcohol palaces. The critisism of the men involved has really only been in the last couple of days as their evidence is coming out of the coronial inquiry - the negative reporting about P&O and the ships has been going on for months.

And with the Pacific Star stories on Today Tonight - that is personal as they intruded on my, and my family & friends, privacy by taking a hidden camera onto the ship and possibly filming us without our consent, and using that footage to tell a totally incorrect story.

The problem is there are way too many people out there that DO take shows like Today Tonight and A Current Affair seriously - and it's up to those of us who know the truth to keep the truth out there.

Kym

well i do know the truth, they're wrong.

and the privacy issue is a big deal it should not be happening that is really wrong and neway thats why legal action was invented lol.

we will all continue to have fun and enjoy our amazing cruising holidays aboard P&O ships anyway.

skyrules,

after you said that the 7 news showed the reverse side of the post card and revealing it had nothing to do with p&o, today tonight in the follow up report showed that very post card and claimed it was a p&o advertisment (just like a current affair did 2 nights previously)

so they went and contradicted themselves.

sam.

ps. i wonder what channel 7 would do if you went after them for filming family ect. without your knowing?

My issue with the reporting of the Dianne Brimble case (and the alleged drug problem on Pacific Star earlier in the year) is that they are not presenting factual informaton, and in some cases are simply creating the situation (ie the drugs on Pacific Star). I have a problem with them doing this in just about every article that they do, but in this particular case because it's about something that I happen to enjoy and don't want to see totally destroyed, that I get riled up.

Yes they are ridiculing the ships and the company - they are saying, by implication, that you shouldn't go on a P&O Australia cruise because they are basically floating drug and alcohol palaces. The critisism of the men involved has really only been in the last couple of days as their evidence is coming out of the coronial inquiry - the negative reporting about P&O and the ships has been going on for months.

And with the Pacific Star stories on Today Tonight - that is personal as they intruded on my, and my family & friends, privacy by taking a hidden camera onto the ship and possibly filming us without our consent, and using that footage to tell a totally incorrect story.

The problem is there are way too many people out there that DO take shows like Today Tonight and A Current Affair seriously - and it's up to those of us who know the truth to keep the truth out there.

Kym

Well said Kym. In a way (and please don't take this the wrong way), it's a shame they didn't capture you and/or your friends & family on tape as you would have been able to cause some sort of uproar (maybe enough compensation for another cruise:p ). You would have had the oprtunity to speak up & let the public know that cruises aren't the way they are portrayed n the media.

Karen

Well said Kym. In a way (and please don't take this the wrong way), it's a shame they didn't capture you and/or your friends & family on tape as you would have been able to cause some sort of uproar (maybe enough compensation for another cruise:p ). You would have had the oprtunity to speak up & let the public know that cruises aren't the way they are portrayed n the media.

Karen

Very true. At least if we had been captured it wouldn't have been doing anything bad, because we were all very well behaved :) !!!!!!

skyrules,

after you said that the 7 news showed the reverse side of the post card and revealing it had nothing to do with p&o, today tonight in the follow up report showed that very post card and claimed it was a p&o advertisment (just like a current affair did 2 nights previously)

so they went and contradicted themselves.

sam.

ps. i wonder what channel 7 would do if you went after them for filming family ect. without your knowing?

We did think about following it up with them when we got back and found out what what had happened - but I guess we didn't want to buy into it and give them more opportunity to stir up trouble.

and there we go, today tonight has had another crack at it and this time digging up the old drugs under the door footage.

the australian media makes me sick :mad:

sam.

I saw the today tonight story and I thought there's no way a member of P&O would have put drugs under a passengers door.:mad: First of all it said compliments of P&O and as if they would be silly enough to say who it was from. Also the people who work there on the ships, rely on their income, so that they can send money home to their families. And if they lost their jobs, they would lose their income. I think that Today Tonight set it up. It looked so obvious! :( Shame on Today Tonight for attacking the cruise industry! I think cruising is one of the best valued, fun holidays around.:D

Archived