Playa Del Carmen/Calica

LisaL

What to do? We are going in August. Myself, 3 kids ages 15, 13 10. Any suggestions. Tours, beaches, etc? Thanks

Try looking in the Ports of Call section for info. Usually lots of helpful info & ideas there.

DH, DD (6) and I are going on the Imagination 7/13. We've had the same questions - especially since the excursions offered are limited. I've since learned not all port excursions are offered to each ship!

In our case, there is no excursion offered to a beach that does NOT include an activity which my 6 year old cannot yet handle (snorkeling, biking, jungle treking). (The Beach Break is NOT offered to our ship!)

So, what is a family to do? Especially in a port like Calica that really has nothing to do right there. We've considered the trip to Tulum, which I've been to 2x - it is AWESOME. But, on such a short cruise, we don't feel like tying up 6 hours, not to mention DD won't get much out of it yet....she wants to play in the sand and swim in the sea!

I guess we've resigned ourselves to take a taxi to PDC on our own - makes DH nervous - he's so afraid of being left behind :-). We want a beach and shopping and fun..............

Lori

DH, DD (6) and I are going on the Imagination 7/13. We've had the same questions - especially since the excursions offered are limited. I've since learned not all port excursions are offered to each ship!

In our case, there is no excursion offered to a beach that does NOT include an activity which my 6 year old cannot yet handle (snorkeling, biking, jungle treking). (The Beach Break is NOT offered to our ship!)

So, what is a family to do? Especially in a port like Calica that really has nothing to do right there. We've considered the trip to Tulum, which I've been to 2x - it is AWESOME. But, on such a short cruise, we don't feel like tying up 6 hours, not to mention DD won't get much out of it yet....she wants to play in the sand and swim in the sea!

I guess we've resigned ourselves to take a taxi to PDC on our own - makes DH nervous - he's so afraid of being left behind :-). We want a beach and shopping and fun..............

Lori

Visit Xcaret when you are in Calica. There are shuttles that run from the port to the park. The park is absolutely fabulous. I believe an earlier poster has provided the link. There's plenty for everyone. Butterfly pavillion, small museum with models of many of the ruins, partially underground river to snorkel (DD may not be able to do this - I'm not certain if there's an age restriction), terrific beach, shows featuring horse riders.

There is a wonderful evening show in an arena. It gives a bit of the history of the area. If you are docked in Calica until the late hours, you could make some of the show. It takes about 10 minutes to get back to port.

DH, DD (6) and I are going on the Imagination 7/13.

Lori

Tha Cab situation to Play from Calica and back is abolutly no problem, they will be lined up waiting , 10 per cab, they will take to Playa, some awesome beaches at the hotels.......there are several taxi stops that will have several cabs ready to take you back....it is a breeze

We had a great family day in Playa, at the suggestion of a bartender I befriended during our Holiday cruise. Since the activities were very similar 2 days in a row, we chose not to do a ship event. Instead we took a cab to The El Fardo hotel. They charged us $15 per person, but had use of the pool overlooking the beach. The gave us each $15 in credit to use for lunch. It was great and throughout the day more and more ship members showed up as it was their day off.

a couple warnings- Playa caters to Europeans, so the beach is topless optional. Also, we went before the Hurricanes, so make sure the hotel is still there!

Also walked to the shopping area on the way back and it was easy to catch a cab.

Good luck. Our Playa day was one of our best.

We also thought of the Fat Cat, how did the transfers work if I remember right isn't about 20 past Playa.

What about the excurison called Caverns by Jeep and Beach? Not listed for our day but I found on the carnival main page about shore excursions, was this available on your sailing?

Try Fat Cat catamarans in Calica... We did it in march and went snorkling.. wonderful day.. http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-info-fat-cat-catamaran.html.. well worth it..

I agree, FAT CAT.

Kiwibabe, did you see my review? It was in Port section. I guess I better go check, looks like the tour has become more popular.

The fatcat crew pick you up from Calica, costs nothing and drops you back after the day out.. back in heaps of time.. so worth it..... first time snorkeler here.. would go back in a flash yes snoozeman i read your review, was a good one.. wish we were back on the ship.. ugh lol

Archived