QM2 Ladies Formal: Long vs Short dresses

mobyrichard

Fashion question... we will be cruising transatlantic June 27th and we are a little confused as to what is appropriate ladies wear for formal nights. Would an 18 year old girl need a long prom-type dress or would a dressy cocktail-type dress suffice? Do you see both long and short dresses on formal nights? My daughter does not really want to take her prom formals because we will be touring England for a week prior to the cruise, but she can imagine nothing worse than "not being dressed correctly!"

Hi Mobyrichard, (love the name);)

Welcome to the cc threads.

In my opinion, either a long gown or cocktail length dress is fine. You will see plenty of both. Also, you will see ladies wearing tunics over silk or chiffon pants. Any of these is appropriate, and I can understand not wanting to pack gowns that may contain yards and yards of material.:eek:

Hope this helps. Happy sailing.

Maria - who always overpacks:rolleyes:

Hi Mobyrichard, (love the name);)

In my opinion, either a long gown or cocktail length dress is fine. You will see plenty of both. Also, you will see ladies wearing tunics over silk or chiffon pants. Any of these is appropriate, and I can understand not wanting to pack gowns that may contain yards and yards of material.:eek:

Maria,

This was nice to hear since I decided to wear a short cocktail dress (Red, White & Blue Ball), rather than a long gown, and was just starting to get nervous that it might be out of place. I feel a little more confident now in my decision. Thanks for the info and thank you to Mobyrichard for asking the question.

Jeanne

Maria,

Thanks for the information. My daughter has decided to carry her dressy cocktail dresses instead of her prom wear. This will definitely help with packing and with the airlines' international baggage limits. We just could not envision stuffing all that chiffon and crinoline into her hanging bag!

Based on your advice, I have also decided to carry my "basic black" cocktail dress for one evening along with my two long dresses. It sounds like my cocktail dress should definitely fit in on board. On previous HAL and Princess cruises, I have seen lots of cocktail dresses on formal nights, but we were unsure about these nights on the QM2.

From one over-packer to another, thanks again! :)

ML

Hi Jeanne and ML,

Glad my post helped. Here is another helpful hint. Space Bags. I don't know if you have heard of them, but they are plastic bags that you can put your foldable close in - close them like a ziploc bag - push the air out and it reduces in size . There is also a clip that you put over the seal to keep air from seeping in and expanding the bag again.

Packing for a 12 day last January I found they reduced my luggage count by one. But then I traveled with a large rolling (expandable) case, a garment bag and a carry-on bag. I also packed a Totes folding suitcase, which I used coming home(all those souveniers you know) and then bought a QM2 canvas tote in the gift shop for my change of cloths for the last night and disembarkation.

Overpack?:eek: Never! We are just prepared for every eventuality.

Maria - who is deciding how many suitcases for the 4 day Labor Day cruise.:confused:

Hi Jeanne and ML,

Glad my post helped. Here is another helpful hint. Space Bags. I don't know if you have heard of them, but they are plastic bags that you can put your foldable close in - close them like a ziploc bag - push the air out and it reduces in size . There is also a clip that you put over the seal to keep air from seeping in and expanding the bag again.

Packing for a 12 day last January I found they reduced my luggage count by one. But then I traveled with a large rolling (expandable) case, a garment bag and a carry-on bag. I also packed a Totes folding suitcase, which I used coming home(all those souveniers you know) and then bought a QM2 canvas tote in the gift shop for my change of cloths for the last night and disembarkation.

Overpack?:eek: Never! We are just prepared for every eventuality.

Maria - who is deciding how many suitcases for the 4 day Labor Day cruise.:confused:

4 of course! one for each day!

Glad to see you still have your sense of humor after Chemo yesterday Maria!

Karie,,

who is ducking as she writes!

Maria - I've heard of Space Bags, when I tried them I thought they were useless as you had to use a vacuum cleaner to remove the air and the bag seals weren't strong enough to keep the air out. My question is how do you get the air out when you're packing for your return journey?

Hi pnmrk,

The space bags I puchased were from the luggage section in Target. Didn't need a vacumn cleaner. You just push the air out(if you put too much in the bag - sitting on it helps<lol>) so I did the same thing on the trip home. Also, remember I packed a Totes folding suitcase for the return, so I didn't have to put any more in the space bags than when I embarked.

As for you Karie, you owe me a phone call - and I am sticking to one large suitcase and one Karie-on.:p

Maria - who promises she will not overpack for a four day cruise (yeah right)

Hi pnmrk,

The space bags I puchased were from the luggage section in Target. Didn't need a vacumn cleaner. You just push the air out(if you put too much in the bag - sitting on it helps<lol>) so I did the same thing on the trip home. Also, remember I packed a Totes folding suitcase for the return, so I didn't have to put any more in the space bags than when I embarked.

As for you Karie, you owe me a phone call - and I am sticking to one large suitcase and one Karie-on.:p

Maria - who promises she will not overpack for a four day cruise (yeah right)

I will try tomorrow. (If I have a phone that works. Whaddaya think> I work for the phone company or somethin> <G>)

I have been flat out today. Had numerous things I needed to do. Did none of them. Got home about 10- then ran out to a local Italian place for dinner1

AGGH!

Thank God they don't need me there. If they acually needed me, I'd have to buy a cot and sleping bag!

Karie,

who is stessed and plumb exhausted. (And no, I didn't manage to call about my Dad today, either

You just push the air out(if you put too much in the bag - sitting on it helps<lol>)

The things we had we got quite a while ago - they've obviously improved (I think that we got ours from QVC!) That "sitting" trick helps with suitcases as well:)

We tried QVC too! Didn't work - didn't want them for travel- just for storage. They popped open and that was that. Since then, I've seen some with zips but I am going to really try not to take so many clothes!

heywood (just bought some more clothes this afternoon!)

Quote Maria....."KARIE-ON"....lol, this could become a classic!!!

Quote Maria again..."happy shopping and sailing"...4 of my favorite words!! Keep 'em coming girl, you're on a roll today!!

Does it matter that we allegedly have 2 formal nights and so far I have 4 formal gowns? Can I change midway thru dinner? Can I make up my mind which to take???And with 5 1/2 months to go who knows how many others might strike my fancy??? Cruise shopping can be dangerous to your health...and I"m not even going to touch what it does to the little plastic cards!! Well, I leave you with another favorite phrase... shop early and often ladies...

Cheers, Penny... who is NOT a shopaholic...honestly

This one is for you Penny.:)

Chris (Cruise Fever) told me about Talbots on line. Told me about this great sale.

Thank you Chris!:D

This sale is really really good. I haven't decided yet, but one can always dress formally every night if one wished to. ( no changes during dinner necessary). You will be the "Belle of the Ball" (every Ball and then some!)

Maria - who is one of American Express' favorite customers

Maria, Maria, Maria...I was doing very well ignoring that reference to Talbots online sale...just passed right by it and never looked back...or online either. And here you are tempting me again. I have enough trouble firing up my computer and have it automatically go to Nordstoms!! Not all of this stuff will fit in my "KARIE-ON" you know...:D

Cheers, Penny

Archived