Mr. Barbados or anyone else...

calij11

Hello I have decided to do a Best of Barbados Tour and I was wondering which of the following two would you select. Please keep in my mind that we will probably go to the Mount Gay Distillery prior to the excursion.

From the harbor, the tour proceeds along the west coast passing Holetown, where the British first landed in 1627. Further along, the tour continues through Speightstown, which is characteristically West Indian with its 19th century architecture, now housing quaint shops and restaurants. The drive turns inland and proceeds to Farley Hill National Park. The imposing ruins of a once magnificent plantation house are surrounded by gardens, lawns, towering royal palms, gigantic mahogany, whitewood, and casuarina trees. Partially rebuilt for the film "Island in the Sun," the structure was later destroyed by fire. The tour continues through the countryside to St. John's Church for panoramic views and the chance to see the tomb of Ferdinand Paleologus, a descendant of the last Greek Christian Emperor. Through lush sugar cane and country villages, you'll make your way to Tyrol Cot. The total Barbadian heritage experience - a combination of a living museum in a historic great house and a Heritage Village set in 3 acres of landscaped gardens. Stroll through the village and visit the Blacksmith Shop, a replica of an 1820’s Slave Hut, a Bajan Rum Shop, as well as other quaint Chattel Houses. The house itself, constructed in 1854, was the residence of Sir Grantley Adams, First Premier of Barbados and the only Prime Minister of the West Indies Federation and his son, ‘Tom’ Adams - the second Prime Minister of an independent Barbados. Tyrol Cot is considered to be the birthplace of Barbadian Democracy and is filled with the lifetime collection of the Adams’ antique furniture and memorabilia.

Or:

Travel along the east and west coasts of Barbados and through the interior to see one of the most modern rum distilleries in an age-old setting. Departing from the harbor, the tour travels along the Spring Garden Highway through Holetown, where in 1627 the British first landed, and then onto Speightstown. Turning inland, the drive continues through the Barbadian countryside, where the main agricultural crop, sugar cane, is widely evident. The drive continues over Cherry Tree Hill to the east side of the island. The Atlantic surf pounds gigantic boulders along the rugged east coast, where the Bajans themselves have vacation homes, especially in the beautiful Bathsheba area. Another stop is made at the famous St. John's Church with its history and views. Don't forget to look for the tomb of Ferdinando Paleologus, the last descendant of the last Christian Emperor of Constantinople.

Arriving at the Heritage Park, you will be welcomed with a complimentary rum drink and then taken on a tour of this modern rum distillery, which is set amongst the ruins of an old sugar mill. After your tour, take time to walk around the beautifully landscaped park and encounter other Bajan cultural delights. See local handicrafts and artwork displayed in 17th century buildings or the numerous artifacts located around the park. The park brings together the old and new to give you a taste of the best of Barbados.

It looks like the only difference is that the first one goes to a plantation house and the second one goes to a rum distillery and Bathsheba. Now I was leaning towards the Plantation one but I have heard some good things about the east coast and Bathsheba. Do you think it is worth it to visit Bathsheba and skip that plantation house? I could always go to Mt. Gay beforehand and just deal with missing the plantation house. Thanks for your opinions.

Actually, both tours sound almost the same.......

...Let me review the two and I'll give you an opinion.

(anything that includes the East Coast is a must, just how much of our East Coast you'll see is written between the lines, yes? .....)

Also, at Mt. Gay, what would make you say "I'm glad we did that, it was worth the time and money"....What would make you happy with this tour?

If you're like most of us, your time and money are valuable.

If I may ask, what is your reason to include the Mt. Gay Rum tour?

What are you looking for?

There are over a dozen major things to do on the island....sometimes people miss the good stuff.

I want you to get your $ worth.....(and come back if you miss anything! LOL)

-b-

Well actually i was thinking about doing the Mt. Gay tour to burn some time before the 12:00 tour. I heard it was close to the port. I am sure you have many better suggestions. And yes I hope to be able to return to Barbados many times in the future, as I plan to become a regular cruiser.

So I guess your vote would be to do the one with Bathsheba or scrap that all together and do an independent one and hire a taxi driver?

As far as what we want to see, we are into the historical stuff as well as any sites that are just beautiful. I can pass on the rum tour, as I would rather see the uniqueness of an island. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think you will get to see some of the east coast on either tour.

Both go to either Farley Hill or Cherry Tree then to St. John’s Church, which sits above Congor Bay on the east coast. Surely they would drive down the east coast road to reach St. John’s.

Hard to judge on the last stop of each tour, however.

Tyrol Cot is back by B-town and it’s a house built in 1854, I believe, but lived in by Sir Grantly Adams in the ‘30’s. It’s OK if you like that sort of thing, but I find it boring after the first 5 minutes.

Now, Heritage Park and the Four Square Rum Distillery is a fairly interesting place. Quite a bit to see and do. Plus it’s located in our SE interior, so you’ll get to see a little bit of that area.

I’m voting for tour #2.

Now, what to do beforehand?

I’d get up and out early, cab to Harrison’s Cave, then hit Gun Hill Signal Station on the way back. Should be able to do these two easily in three hours. Or skip the Cave and just hit Gun Hill. These two are perhaps our most visited attractions.

Yes, I am partial to a six hour taxi tour that would enable you to see many more things, but what you have chosen will do just fine and I think you’ll be pleased.

Best!

-b-

Thanks Mr. Barbados I think I will try to do the pre-activites as well. Just curious, in which parts of the island is Harrison's Cave and Gun Hill? Also what makes the signal station one of the most visited attractions? And would you happen to know how much a cab would be to do these two? Thanks again.

Harrison’s is almost dead center of the island about 6 miles from the dock.

Gun Hill is centered in the middle, too, but 2 miles south of Harrison’s making it about 4 miles from the dock.

I seldom cab-it anymore, but they tell me that cab fare is about US$25/hr for up to 4 in the cab. Stand-by time (while you’re at the attractions) is perhaps ½ of that or $US12.50.

To do both attractions, I would estimate 1 to 1-1/2 hour @ US$25 and 2 hours standby @ US$12.50/hr. Totaling about US$62 + tip. I’m just guessing, but I think the tariff for Harrison’s is about US$12.50 (?) and Gun Hill must be around US$9-10 (?).

That nice couple that you met at dinner on the ship would cut your cab costs 50%.

I’m going to give you a link to Gun Hill and Harrison’s so you can check them out yourself.

http://harrisonscave.com

http://barbados.org/gunhill.htm

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. :)

Thanks for all the info. i think we will just hit up Gun Hill as we went on a very extensive tour of a cave in Beijing, China last summer. Maybe next time we come to barbados we will do the cave.

What is the deal with Bathsheba? Is it like a resort? Does it have a lot of big houses? Which city is the most highly coveted to live in? thanks.

Bathsheba is just a town on our East Coast. Everything is expensive on Barbados, especially land and housing. Our West Coast is the most expensive and the east coast the least.

The densest population on the island is around B-Town; the fewest people live on the East Coast.

Many of us maintain a “summer house” on the East Coast. Just a get-away, like a cabin in the woods. Besides being much more affordable, our East Coast is rugged and beautiful.

Bathsheba, East Coast, Barbados

bathsheba.jpg

We keep our main house in Holetown (west coast) but I couldn’t tell you which town, or parish, is more coveted. This is just convenient for us, although I should have been looking for a new place by Grantly Adams airport this year as I spent more time on neighbouring islands and in the UK than on Barbados.

A US$300,000 house in the states placed on our west coast and on the beach from B-town to Speightstown would cost between $2-5mil. Across the highway and a little inland: $500K-2mil. East Coast: $300-$1mil.

You’ll see the vast differences when you tour the island. And why many of our residents must hold two, or even three jobs to keep their heads above water.

It's paradise but it comes at a cost.......

• 3 years later...

Good Evening Mr. Barbados, I have a rum question. We visited your lovely island in April of 2009 and loved it so much that we picked another cruise just so we could come back to visit. We took a tour to Four Square and we purchased a bottle of R.L. Seale's Old Brigand Mango Rum. Problem is we only purchased one bottle! We would like to purchase some more but do we have to go back out to Four Square or is there some place in town where we could purchase this rum? It's not that we do not want to go back to Four Square, but we want to tour more of Barbados not what we have already seen. Thanks in advance for your help! Thanks, Maria

I think you'll find Seale's at the cruise terminal shops. If not, it is certainly available close by.

There are two other distillers on the island other than foursquare: Mt. Gay and Malibu.

Did you have the opportunity to try those brands?

Once you've finished all of your planned excursions and you have an extra couple of hours to kill, visit a rum shop close to deep water harbour and sample a few different brands.

You may find a brand that you like better than Seale's.

Enjoy your visit and return soon! :)

Good Day Mr Barbados we are visiting in March and I am trying to decide between seeing the island or snorkeling. I hear the snorkeling is fabulous. However I hate to miss seeing such a beautiful island. I believe we are there between 8:00 and 5:00. Any suggestions??? Is it possible to do both and give each the time it deserves???

Sue

You should do both!

Snorkeling in Barbados is generally not rated as good as Little Cayman, Bonaire or St. Vincent, but it is fair-good, nevertheless, as long as there isn’t a north swell.

I always recommend an island taxi tour for 3-4 hours and have your driver drop you at Folkstone Marine Park for snorkeling after the tour.

8-5 should allow enough time for a couple of hours snorkeling. You’ll be about 15 minutes north of the dock at Folkstone. There are plenty of taxis to return you to the ship when you’re ready.

Have fun and come back for a longer stay! :)

I think you'll find Seale's at the cruise terminal shops. If not, it is certainly available close by.

There are two other distillers on the island other than foursquare: Mt. Gay and Malibu.

Did you have the opportunity to try those brands?

Once you've finished all of your planned excursions and you have an extra couple of hours to kill, visit a rum shop close to deep water harbour and sample a few different brands.

You may find a brand that you like better than Seale's.

Enjoy your visit and return soon! :)

I really like Cockspur, I also like Old Brigade which a bought at a local Supermarket because CaveSheppard didn't sell it when I was there in December.

Archived