Learning to Scuba on RCCL

bling19572010

Do you really want to spend your vacation studying and taking lessons in the ships pool? You cannot normally get a full certification aboard ship. You will only get a Scuba Diver certification. The certification required to participate in normal scuba diving with an accredited dive operation is a minimum PADI Open Water certification which requires 4 open water dives and the ship only offers 2. This is a fine distiction because with the ship's certification you will not be able to stop into any dive operation and sign up for more dives. You would have to arrange with the ship to take an additional excursion at a second port to get in the other two dive and that will cost you an additional $100 or so per person. Now you have spent at least $350 per person for the course and 4 dives and used up a lot of vacation time getting there.

I suggest you contact a local dive shop, most large cities have at least one, and do all of your classroom and pool work at home. Then you can do some or all of the 4 required open water dives by referral on the cruise. The cost will probably be about the same in either event but you will enjoy your vacation much more knowing you have the free time and you will also enjoy the initial dives much more knowing you have had personal instruction and lots of practice in your pools before you get on the ship. Additionally, your life depends on how well you have learned your lessons. You can't spend too much time studying the material to learn it.

One additional item, if you read the details of the RCL Scuba diver certification excursion, you will note the dives do not cover the mask and snorkle pieces of equipment. I suggest you purchase these items at home to make sure the mask fits properly and doesn't leak. As for the snorkle, would you loan someone your toothbrush? This is the same as using someone elses snorkle that may not have been sterialized. BTW - This also goes for the regulator you would get with rented equipment. Do you know where its been?

Although I used my dive shop's rented equipment for my first two dives, I made sure the mouth pieces had been sterialized and then, promptly purchased my own BC and regular. This way, I know where my equipment has been and what condition its in. After all, my life depends on it when I am 90' down.

In any event, get certified, you will never regret it because the sea looks a lot different looking up than down.:D

Happy bubbles.

Archived