I am astounded at the cell coverage in just one year!!!

greatam

I am currently in Alaska on a business/fishing trip. I was in Juneau/Ketchikan Monday/Tuesday and have spent the rest of the time on the Kenai Peninsula. My Verizon phone is working almost EVERYWHERE. My wireless laptop air card is also working, although not quite as well as the phone. Only place the phone hasn't worked is 5 miles east of Soldotna (Kenai peninsula) and about 20 miles outside Seward. It is not roaming at any time.

I finally called Verizon, because I was really concerned about racking up roaming charges, as our company did last year. Verizon has partnered with a couple of cell providers in Alaska to provide "EXTENDED NETWORK" coverage. No additional charges. I am really blown away. Don't know about any of the other companies, but Verizon is covering a good portion of Alaska.

That's good news. I have been trying to get a straight answer from Verizon here--and I keep getting different answers. I have seen posts that people are getting their bills a month later and have really high charges. I went to one Verizon store--said no roaming/no charges, another said that there would be charges on the ship while in port--something about the phone will get its signal from the ship rather than the port; then another Verizon guy--at least he was honest about it--said "I don't know." I have also been told that even text messaging will incur roaming charges.

I am currently in Alaska on a business/fishing trip. I was in Juneau/Ketchikan Monday/Tuesday and have spent the rest of the time on the Kenai Peninsula. My Verizon phone is working almost EVERYWHERE. My wireless laptop air card is also working, although not quite as well as the phone. Only place the phone hasn't worked is 5 miles east of Soldotna (Kenai peninsula) and about 20 miles outside Seward. It is not roaming at any time.

I finally called Verizon, because I was really concerned about racking up roaming charges, as our company did last year. Verizon has partnered with a couple of cell providers in Alaska to provide "EXTENDED NETWORK" coverage. No additional charges. I am really blown away. Don't know about any of the other companies, but Verizon is covering a good portion of Alaska.

Very exciting news....Please let us know if your bill reflects what you've been told !!! We are Verizon customers going to Alaska soon and would love to use our phones and/or the PC card without fear of a megabucks bill when we get back.....

That's good news. I have been trying to get a straight answer from Verizon here--and I keep getting different answers. I have seen posts that people are getting their bills a month later and have really high charges. I went to one Verizon store--said no roaming/no charges, another said that there would be charges on the ship while in port--something about the phone will get its signal from the ship rather than the port; then another Verizon guy--at least he was honest about it--said "I don't know." I have also been told that even text messaging will incur roaming charges.

I believe the difference is exactly what the second guy told you. You can use your phone in the cities with no additional charges, but not from the ship. I have been told it will definitely pick up the ship's signal and not one of the partners Verizon has teamed up with. In other words, use your phone off the ship.

Cingular worked well in all cities and ports. Didn't try it on the ship so don't know if it worked or if there would be extra charges.

It does cost extra to call from the ship. Cingular's site lists all the ships coverage is available (click here) and cost. It's $2.49/min for standard int'l roaming rates, and $1.69/min for world traveler rates.

Not too bad for an emergency call, but too costly to call just to chat. :P

Our phones thru T-Mobile have worked great in Juneau and Ketchikan but not in Skagway. My parents have Verizon and they had a weak signal in Skagway, but they did have service.

As for using the cell phone on the ship....from what I understand, once the ship is in port and docked, they turn off their own signal. We have used our cell phones while in port and still on the ship, and have not had ANY extra charges. Again, this is with T-Mobile and Verizon, and sailing on NCL.

We're headed up to AK again tomorrow, so we'll try it out again.

Hikini:D

Archived