Tunis

espmass

A friend is going on a cruise where one of the ports is Tunis. She asked me about it but I have never been there. Can anyone help out by letting me know if it's a port worth getting off the ship for? What's it like and what is there to do or see? Thanks for any help.

Never been... but I think the mid-east and magreb are pretty cool.

Tunisia attracts a lot of euro sun worshipers and reportedly has some good beaches. A short distance to the west north-west of Tunis City are the ruins of Carthage (yep Rome's early nemisis was there) that the Romans destroyed while Hannibal was off with the elephants...

To the south, probably further than one could exursion in a day is Karouhan (sp?) a well preserved holy city best known to western movie go-ers as the double for Cairo in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

the port is la gullette(sp?) about a 30 min drive to tunis. port is industrial and nothing in area. well worth going into tunis, great museum with roman and carthaginian artifacts and mosiacs. we toured the souk and my wife bought a rug, great experience in middle east negotiating. by all means get off ship and go into town, people are friendly and no visa needed.

Archived