Gumbalimba Park Anyone?

KB'sMOM

Hi all,

We're going on our first cruise this summer, and my daughter (age 9) wants to see/play with monkeys. Since we're going cave tubing in Belize (the other place I've seen where you can do this), I'm now looking into finding an experience for her in Roatan. Any ideas???? I've read a little about Gumbalimba Park, which sounds good, but I'd love to know more about tours, recommendations/reviews, etc....

THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want monkeys (and all kinds of tropical wildlife), then GUMBALIMBA park is the place to be on Roatan.

If you are on a cruise, you will need to book it from the ship, as they do not take "Walk-in" customers.

In addition, and if time permits, I would strongly suggest making a trip to the Iguana farm...With over 3000 Iguanas (some as big a 6 feet long!)...and monkeys (in cages though)...and a big pen full of fish, etc...it's well worth the $5 entry fee...

• 2 months later...

We were just there, it is a must see... We were on the Carnival Valor the Week of Aug 20, and we booked this tour through Carnival. You take a bus ride to the park. They group people in small groups. I think we had about 20 or less in our group. The monkeys are GREAT....my kids had a blast with them. My 2 yr old was in a stroller. AS soon as we got to the Moneky section, one climbed right on her lap, was face to face with her. WE had one of the Carnival cameral man with us. He filmed a lot of her. We just had to buy the DVD...The monkeys are very friendly, they will climb right on you, sit on your shoulder/arms etc...I would defintely recommend this tour, expecially if you have young kids.

• 2 weeks later...

And after your tour you can just sit in a provided lounge chair on the beach and the kids can swim in the ocean. Also feel free to head over to the the water activities hut and see about snorkeling or power snorkeling. You just catch a bus when you are ready to go. When they get about 16 people ready to go they send a bus. You can stay to the last bus if ya want.

I was wondering about the price. On the Grand Princess the prices are

Adult: $49

Child: $39 (12 & under)

PIRATES, BIRDS & MONKEYS OF THE CARIBBEAN

At Gumbalimba Park delight in watching the free-flying scarlet macaws, hold a juvenile monkey, explore a re-creation of a pirate cave, and strolling through the botanical garden filled with beautiful

tropical plants and flowers.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the approximately 30-minute drive to the park. After an orientation to the many activities, you can begin your exploration by walking down the nature trail or stroll across the pond via a rope suspension bridge to the bird sanctuary. Here you can interact with and take pictures of the free-flying parrots and macaws. At the Monkey Refuge there are spider monkeys, white-face monkeys, and a howler monkey that are willing and eager for you to hold and play with them, but beware, the monkeys love to steal sunglasses. Explore the history of the pirates of the Caribbean inside a re-reation of Coxen’s Cave, which is home to Captain John Coxen and his stolen treasure along with murals depicting the history of Honduras. Roam through the Botanical Garden and learn about many of the indigenous plants of this region. Finally, prior to your return to the pier, browse through the Hacienda and discover the native arts, crafts, and souvenirs.

• 3 years later...

We are trying this excrusion on our cruise in Dec. on the Carnival Valor. Is it ok to book this when we get on the cruise ship or before? Does this excrusion fill up quickly?

Charleyann:D

Oh gosh, I have always wanted to pet and hold a Monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived