mexican riviera-what excursions should we do

mthaydu

Going on the pride in september, what excursions should we go on? i've heard of happy horses or something like that? What things did others do that they really enjoyed and that we should do and if you could let us know the prices of these as well. At the carnival site, they list them but do not tell the price of them - stupid - just dollar signs. Love to hear of peoples favorites and their experience!

thanks a bunch

In Puerto Vallarta, I would recommend the Countryside Adventure during the day, and in the evening (if it's back from dry dock) the Pirate Ship Adventure.

In Mazatlan, you HAVE to go to Randi's Happy Horses. Here website is at http://mazinfo.com/horsebackride/ Price is $45 per person, regardless of age.

If you would like prices (as of May 2004) for the excursions, click on our Webshots Gallery link (listed below under my signature) and look for the Shore Excursion Info gallery.

Have a great cruise! :)

Mthaydu

Go to the Ports of call board under Mexican Riviera for much more info on the ports there. As Lodi Mark, or Mr Woodbridge, noted author of cruise reviews said, Randi's Happy Horses is a great tour and a nice laid back day that steps back in history. If you are first timers to MR, the Sierra Madre tour in Maz is very nice too and another way to see real Mexico, visiting a pueblo, a small town, brick making and furniture factory. There is also a city tour in Cabo that goes along the coast and to San Jose de Cabo for another view of Mexico.

"Lodi Mark??? Mr. Woodbridge???" LOL! Gee, I may just have to drive over to Citrus Heights to thank you in person for that chuckle, John! :D

Here's that link for our Webshots gallery: http://community.webshots.com/user/marklodi

Just click on that link and open any of the albums you'd like to view.

And John is quite right in suggesting a guided tour in Cabo. We really, REALLY wish we would have done this as opposed to just walking around town. You just can't get a flavor for the area by visiting the over-Americanized shopping mecca around the harbor. Makes you feel like you've been dropped off at a strip-mall in an upscale California community. The Hard Rock Cafe, Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts should give you an idea of how it is. Definitely do your shopping in PV or Mazatlan, and take a tour that leads away from town or down to beach or something.

This was from our review of the Pride 12/14/03:

Puerto Vallarta – Canopy Tour (Vallarta Adventures/Carnival)

We usually do not take the ship-sponsored tours but because of the logistics on this one we felt it would be best. Although the price was twice what we would have paid on our own we did not regret our choice. The entire staff was TOP NOTCH and the tour was excellent. This excursion is the “Original” Canopy Tour or Vallarta Adventures you will find on the internet and is closed to outsiders when the Pride is in port. Carnival’s minimum age requirement for this tour is 12 but because the Canopy Tour states 8 and I worked closely with the Tour Operation Department I was able to have the age requirement waived for Nick. I have sent a letter to Carnival and hope that I can persuade them to reconsider and lower the age to 8; the age the Canopy Tour folks require. I’ll say it again this is an awesome tour and one that should not be limited to those over the age of 12. Cost of this tour was $109 per person.

Mazatlan – King David’s Stone Island Tour

We booked this one on our own; http://www.mazinfo.com/jungletour/index.htm

Excellent tour, Hugo will take very good care of you. Included in this tour was all transportation, open bar, lunch, and two activities, we did the twenty minute horseback ride and the banana boat. The cost for this tour was $120 for the four of us, $35 for adults and $25 for children.

Cabo San Lucas – Shopping and Water Taxi to see the sites. Not sure if we could have gotten a better deal on the water taxi as the rates changed with each step you took away from the vendor. We ended up paying $24 for all four of us. Not bad considering when we first got off the ship we were quoted a price of $12 each. I loved the shopping that was just behind the marina but was not happy with the malls. I hate shopping malls in the states and I really hate to see ports “Americanized”. Even with much of Cabo being so commercial at some point we will return for a land vacation.

Be sure to also check out my Pride pictures posted on Webshots; link is in my signature below.

Archived