Help shopping(wife lost Tennis Bracelet)

pes949

Today my wife lost her prized tennis bracelet. Since I will be on the Crown sailing July 2nd I really would like to surprise her on the cruise with a replacement.

So................ all you seasoned Caribbean shoppers please show me the way. She is devastated and I know it would be incredibly special if I bought her a replacement....

PLEASE HELP need best deals and best shop for nice stuff.:cool:

Your wife will be thrilled.

Where, exactly, are you going?

St. Thomas is probably the best place in the Caribbean, in terms of jewelry shops to choose from.

Everybody has their favorite place, of course. Some can even give you a store and a specific contact there that they've had good luck with.

I don't know if you've cruised before, but one thing you'll hear a lot about, is to not necessarily place much faith in the ship's recommended shops. Everybody suspects that these shops give a kick-back to the cruise line for recommending them. Whether or not that is true, I don't know that you'd get a particularly good deal just because the ship recommends them. I don't think the ship would stand behind you if you had a problem with your purchase after the fact.

I, for one, hate to haggle or bargain. It's just not in my nature. But, a lot of people have struck good bargains by doing so.

Good luck, and let us know how this plays out.

T

Personally, I would buy a new tennis bracelet closer to home (your post doesn't say where you are from). You probably have a few reputable jewelry stores near you that you know and trust, or if not, a friend might be able to refer you. In any case, the quality will probably be better, and if there is any problem down the line, you can take care of it easier. I have read so many posts on people getting burned on the price and quality of fine gemstones in the Carribean. I know that there are plenty of people that have been thrilled with purchases that they have made, but in my opinion, you might be asking for trouble. (PLEASE do not flame me - this is JMHO, folks!)

Why not surprise her with it onboard, maybe on your first formal evening? It will still be a very romantic gesture that she will cherish, and you won't have to worry about haggling and shopping for the purchase while you are away.

In any case, it is very thoughtful, and she will love it, whatever you decide!

I feel your wife's pain losing her tennis bracelet. As for shopping to replace it - I am a fan of St. Thomas. I have only had good & positive experiences with Diamond International. I know many have not shared the same experiences. This is JMHO..........

Whatever you decide be sure to do some homework & research. If you know what you want & can afford start there & get some prices at home.

Who knows you may find a good deal & make the purchase at home & present her with it while on the cruise.

With Diamond International you get an appraisal form to bring home. They have a good upgrade policy (most places do now). So you can start with a 2 carat & go up to a 4 ;) DI also has a huge assortment to look at.

I have also made some good purchases at Cardow in St. Thomas.

Good Luck & Enjoy your cruise.

Personally, I would buy a new tennis bracelet closer to home (your post doesn't say where you are from). You probably have a few reputable jewelry stores near you that you know and trust, or if not, a friend might be able to refer you. In any case, the quality will probably be better, and if there is any problem down the line, you can take care of it easier. I have read so many posts on people getting burned on the price and quality of fine gemstones in the Carribean. I know that there are plenty of people that have been thrilled with purchases that they have made, but in my opinion, you might be asking for trouble. (PLEASE do not flame me - this is JMHO, folks!)

Why not surprise her with it onboard, maybe on your first formal evening? It will still be a very romantic gesture that she will cherish, and you won't have to worry about haggling and shopping for the purchase while you are away.

In any case, it is very thoughtful, and she will love it, whatever you decide!

Huge....Ditto!!!!!!!! This is excellent advice.

grand jewelers st thomas

my mom bought a tennis bracelet there, 2 yrs later went back to upgrade it and no problem. i have bought lots there as have many friends. they are not a chain like diamonds international. they do have a place in NYC to fix things if needed. noone i know that has bought from there has ever had a problem re value etc.

i'm on the crown in august but have been banned from st thomas shopping!!

Get on the Crown and talk to Freddie... I believe she is to be the port talk hostess onboard this ship. She'll steer you in the right direction if you wish to shop for the bracelet while aboard.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posters - shop for it at home and just bring it along and surprise her (but be sure to bring your receipt from home on the cruise too... just in case you run into problems with customs when you come home) :)

Archived