Freedom of the Seas

blacksmithcrm

With an additional ten tons, the Freedom of the Seas has swept past the QM2 as the largest passenger liner afloat. While shorter than the Queen, the beam of FOTS is massive.

The boat features a Mall, Rock-climbing wall, Wave pool and an Ice skating rink. The capacity is over 4,000 guests (or so I'm told)

To me, that's too small to be a nation, but too large to be an asylum.

Any other thoughts from the QM2 Faithful?

Can't say I'm a faithful but these two ships are definitely different products. Trying out the QM2 for the first time in December but have absolutely no desire to try out the Freedom of the Seas! It serves a purpose for a certain crowd and I hope the new ship is a success for its crowd but I'm a 41 year old who has no desire to climb mountains or bungee jump. The QM2 serves what I am seeking.So while it was nice the QM2 was the largest in the world for two years I won't cry that it lost the title so fast. And we all know that Freedom will lose that title soon to another new RCCL mega-ship.

Given the choice, I choose a Queen anytime!

Can't say I'm a faithful but these two ships are definitely different products. Trying out the QM2 for the first time in December but have absolutely no desire to try out the Freedom of the Seas! It serves a purpose for a certain crowd and I hope the new ship is a success for its crowd but I'm a 41 year old who has no desire to climb mountains or bungee jump. The QM2 serves what I am seeking.So while it was nice the QM2 was the largest in the world for two years I won't cry that it lost the title so fast. And we all know that Freedom will lose that title soon to another new RCCL mega-ship.

Given the choice, I choose a Queen anytime!

Replace QM2 with QE2 and I'm the same - I want a ship that was built to cross the Atlantic, not one that is just a floating block of flats! (I agree with the choice of a Queen though:D )

Hi all,

First off, the premise is wrong. Freedom of the Seas is not and will never be a "liner" in any sense of the word. It is a bigger ship/party boat. She will also probably not be the biggest in the future.

Give me the size of QE2 or Majesty/Enchantment of the Seas anyday.

Bigger is not always better IMHO.

Ed

It would be quite interesting to see what type of ship RCI would build "if" they ever decided to actually build a true oceanliner such as the QM2. I think RCI builds awesome and innovative ships from their Vision & Radiance class to their Voyager & Freedom class ships.

Semantics perhaps, but the media often lumps liners and cruiseships together. Usually, there are major differences in hull form/fineness and structual strength between the two types.

Freedom of the Seas, in my opinion, is not a liner by any stretch of the mind.

Archived