No Kids Dining????

keith61

I have heard from a friend due to cruise on N619 that the childrens dinner has been cancelled. I do hope this is not the case for the N620 as this was going to be a highlight of our cruise "no kids at dinner" Has anyone else heard of any changes or can shed some light on this topic

Keith

Hi Keith,

I was told a week before our cruise (N617) that kids dinner had been cancelled. (we have two children 3 and 6) I called P & O and they confirmed this. I was VERY upset as one of the main reasons we took the crusie was because of the kids club and childrens dinner. A holiday was to me to spend quality time with my wife as a couple durring dinner. (NO KIDS)

We had booked the second sitting, so all these horrible thoughts were going through my mind on what to do. P&0 offered me a full refund but a week out was to late to pull out as airfares Holidays etc had been booked. Too late to try and get the first sitting also. I said that this was disgusting and why hadn't I been informed of this by P&O earlier. If you look at the prevoius brouchre, it clearly states the childrens dinner is avaliable but the new brouchre, they have dropped any mention of it.....

I really complaind again to P&O a few days before we left to go and was told to see the Maitre D' as soon was we boarded.

Anyway, as soon as we arrived on board and had found our room and unpacked my mission was to find the Maitre' D' and give him a piece of my mind. But in our room was an envelope which I opened that had an invitation for childrens dinner at 4:45pm at Lido deck table 17!

I was sooo happy!

Our cruise didn't have many children and childrens dinner was avaliable. I'm pretty certain that the childrens dinner will be avaliabe. Ring P&O and ask how many children have booked on your cruise.

I don't think P&O will cut the childrens dinner as many other people will then complain about having children in the dinning room! (especially some of the Olides) unless they have VERY low numbers.

For the future, when we book again we will do so during the School holidays as you then will be guaranteed a childrens dinner.

Regards and have a great cruise,

Peter

There were rumours going around earlier this year about no kids dinner on the Sun but when we went in April there was (not school holidays but lots of kids on board). It was in the dining room although personally I think kids dinner in the buffet is probably a better idea. We are hoping to cruise on the Dawn in Nov next year and we will have only one child under 13. Whilst I have no problems with him eating with us I'm more worried about the menu. If he had eaten with us in April he would have starved for 11 days. I also think that general dinner takes too long for kids. They would get bored. I have no problems whatsoever with our kids eating with us but I do believe that it is best for them to have a seperate dining time.

So newbie_sailor, I don't think Keith has anything against his kids or any other kids, he just wants what's best for them.

Karen

Our cruise on Pacific Star in March didn't have a kids's dinner sitting, but there weren't that many kids on the cruise anyway. The cruise immediately after ours (during school holidays) apparently was going to have a kids dinner as they were going to have something like 300 kids aboard. Our table waiter's were relieved that with that many kids there was going to be a kids sitting.

I got the impression that it is up to the Maitre d' on board, and that office staff in Sydney may not know what is going to happen on any given cruise.

Kym

There were quite a few children on ours in May,they had a dinner in the buffet at 5. After the first day noone bothered with the table number,They sat anywhere.After about day 5,very few parents even turned up to supervise. The kids threw food etc. I wouldn't have wanted them in the Dining room. At 6pm they can go to Terraces to watch a film with the kidsclub. We had late sitting which I found to be too late as I had to book and pay every night the extra kids club as we weren't finished diner at 10pm.Also then too late to see a show.Also in case you don't find it right away.

At the Cafe end of the buffet there is a staircase,go up and there is a door to kidsclub. I didn't know it was there for a few days. I was going outside and up a deck :eek: Sometimes it was windy! Not once did the staff say anything to me about the other way.

forgot to say,on our table in the dining room we had 2 teen age children who were very well behaved. The waiter would bring them anything from the kids menu. Like chips and gravy!! They didn't stay the whole time as they went to their evening activities

Our cruise on Pacific Star in March didn't have a kids's dinner sitting, but there weren't that many kids on the cruise anyway. The cruise immediately after ours (during school holidays) apparently was going to have a kids dinner as they were going to have something like 300 kids aboard. Our table waiter's were relieved that with that many kids there was going to be a kids sitting.

Kym

Don't count on having kids dinner on school holiday cruises as on ours in January there was over 300 kids and NO kids dinner :)

Hi All

I called P&O several weeks ago with questions regarding our cruise & was informed Kids Dining will be a cruise by cruise decision depending on how many children are on board.

We are no too worried if our sons dines with us as he is well behaved as long as he is catered for, which P&O advised there would be a childrens menu in the dining room.

I will be calling P&O again before we leave for confirmation on our cruise.

Regards Deb

Yes they are our kids and I take absolute responsibility for them and their behaviour however part of the decision makeing process when choosing a cruise was the opportunity to share some adult time with my wife after 10 years of dealing and dining with children. Whilst I dont believe our kids would be a problem at dinner time it would be nice to be able to enjoy the dining experience childless, isn't what P&O promote!!!

we had the opposite happen to us on both our cruises. we expected our kids who were 15 and a month under 13 to eat with us and was told that ALL kids HAVe to eat at the kids dinner at 4.45pm. that was changed as there was a spare spot on out table. second cruise our friends daughter who was 2 months off being 13 had to eat with the kids. this time we were aware of the situation and went to see the matre d' staright away and she was put on our table. I think it does vary from cruise to cruise.the p and O office dont seem to know anything. They kept telling me there were only 2 seatings 6pm and 8pm not 4 seatings. Even after i told them it was incorrect. I say check your kids sail card when you get on board and go and see the matre d' as soon as possible if not correct.

good luck

We just got back on Wednesday from N618 and I overheard the P & O lady at the cruise booking table - near the Pursers desk - tell a couple that our cruise was the LAST one to have a kids dinner.

All cruises from now on have no kids dinner and the kids eat with the adults. :( :(

Jenny

>^..^<

no i haven't heard anythin but "no kids at dinner" is going to be a highlight of your holiday? tell me are they your kids or everyone elses?

Oh newbie you clearly have no kids!! everyones entitled to a little time off. You should sit with a family with young kids at your next cruise then you'll understand!!

PS: we just got back from Sea Princess and the child facilities were ace!

we even left them in the port day supervision while we went to Rome,! it was bliss!.........................

Lou

Archived