Freedom of the Seas Maiden Voyage (Disapointment) from Harry

Cunard didn't expect the Queen Mary to make money? With all due respect, what was it, a gift to the planet?

T

You're right on that one!

Just got off Freedom about an hour ago; it's a beautiful ship indeed, most innovative in the fleet. The Royal Promenade is noticeably longer, but other than that, I really could not notice that much difference between the other ships in the Voyager-class, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

BTW, they've got to fix those revolving doors on deck 11!

Well actually I think the problem is that the so called Maiden Voyage wasn´t really the maiden Voyage. It was the first regular sailing with paying guests, but nothing more.

The maiden Voyage could be either considered the very first sailing ever with passengers onboard and that was Hamburg - Oslo 04/25/06-04/26/06, or the very first sailing after the christening. I think both of them had the fireworks and other celebrations. At least I know that Hamburg had it. Fireworks in the evening before the ship sailed away next morning and a fireboat with water cannons as she left the Harbour for the first passenger sailing.

I think much of the confusion (and possible disappointment) people felt was because Royal Caribbean themselves were also calling the first revenue sailing the "maiden Voyage".

One example of RCI's stance that 6/4/06 was the maiden voyage: during the week we all received a certificate along with a picture (taken at one of the previous pre-inaugural celebrations) of the ship at night with fireworks in the sky above it. The certificate stated, in part, " Thank you for joining Royal Caribbean International on the maiden voyage of the newest, largest, and most innovative ship in the world".

If they were calling it the maiden voyage, why wouldn't we think it was the maiden voyage. With that kind of a hype people expected there would be lots of drama. We kind of thought that if they did all that stuff for the pre-inaugural sailings there would be even more for the so called maiden voyage.

Turns out that part of the confusion was that some of the drama was not put on by RCL after all but, by the places they were visiting. For instance, RCL did not put on the fireworks in New York (I think some of the fireworks were there). New York put them on as part of their hoopala for Freedom's visit to their City.

Unfortunately I think most of the people on board did not know that. During the sail away out of Miami you could feel the anticipation in the air as everyone crowded the rails. We were all craning our necks to look for "something" to happen. As the ship was advancing out of the channel people (I know we were) seemed to still be thinking, "okay ......... maybe they are going to have something as soon as we get out a little further". We were like a bunch of kids on Christmas morning looking under the tree and not finding anything.

While it did not ruin our cruise (as we still felt it was so cool being on that sailing and the ship is magnificent and all the staff were incredible) I'd be fibbing if I didn't say we were feeling a little let down. At the Captain's question and answer session he did mention that this had been brought to their attention by a number of guests. He said something to the effect of that they now realize that perhaps they should have done a little more to make it special and would take that into consideration for future maiden voyages.

In the end the reality probably is that they could have done more, but, we probably shouldn't have just assumed that they would! Live and learn!!!

That said, as Zotzer pointed out it was Montego Bay, Jamaica that really rose to the occasion and they really did themselves proud. Bravo, Montego Bay!!!!

While it did not ruin our cruise (as we still felt it was so cool being on that sailing and the ship is magnificent and all the staff were incredible) I'd be fibbing if I didn't say we were feeling a little let down. At the Captain's question and answer session he did mention that this had been brought to their attention by a number of guests. He said something to the effect of that they now realize that perhaps they should have done a little more to make it special and would take that into consideration for future maiden voyages.

In the end the reality probably is that they could have done more, but, we probably shouldn't have just assumed that they would! Live and learn!!!

IMO, the Captain's comments were all damage control. He's a nice guy and means well, but you can't tell me that after launching twenty some odd ships that RCI hasn't encountered this feedback before. They already had our money and couldn't have cared less.

IMO, the Captain's comments were all damage control. He's a nice guy and means well, but you can't tell me that after launching twenty some odd ships that RCI hasn't encountered this feedback before. They already had our money and couldn't have cared less.

Yeah GMoney, as far as the damage control, I am sure that is likely the case. But I am still hoping they cared ... a little!!!!!!! I know, I know .... you don't have to say it! LOL!!!!

BTW, they've got to fix those revolving doors on deck 11!

I remember reading about them from pre-inaugural cruisers and thinking "how bad can revolving doors be? These people are just nitpicking." But, one has to *experience* them to understand. LOL

They aren't just regular revolving doors...but some new menacing piece of engineering altogether! :confused:

T

Yeah GMoney, as far as the damage control, I am sure that is likely the case. But I am still hoping they cared ... a little!!!!!!! I know, I know .... you don't have to say it! LOL!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh. :)

I'v just seen a bit of RCI and don't cut them much slack with this kind of stuff.

BTW, I thought your comment few posts back on the maiden voyage stuff was very well thought out and expressed.

I think I found the problem. On the rccl.com home page, it still says;

"Our largest, most innovative ship ever has finally arrived. And soon, Freedom of the Seas will be sailing the incredible Caribbean.

And under the Freedom of the Seas page, it still says;

Setting sail for the Caribbean in June 2006, our largest ship yet - Freedom of the Seas! Though we're not quite ready to reveal all of the spectacular features, rest assured this Royal Caribbean International masterpiece will come complete with a rock-climbing wall, Royal Promenade and ice-skating rink. We'll also be including extensive WiFi capabilities and connectivity for cell phones as well as flat-screen TVs in every stateroom. What else could we possibly put on a cruise ship? You'll be amazed. More astounding details coming soon! Click here for a sneak preview!

Apparently, RCI does not yet know that Freedom has sailed. Maybe someone should call and tell them.:D :D :D

Dignitaries did indeed board the ship at every port, and the ship had private receptions for them. The only port who rolled out the carpet (literally), for the passengers, was Jamaica. GREAT day in Jamaica!!! They made us feel very special. MoBay was amazing!!

Tracy

They would have to do more than "roll out the carpet" to get me to get off the ship at that port. :(

They would have to do more than "roll out the carpet" to get me to get off the ship at that port. :(

I love Jamaica and have been visiting there for 30 years.

I would much rather be there than on FOS.:)

Different strokes...

Well, you will be missing out then.

I've yet to hear a single complaint resulting from our stop in Montego Bay. There were nearly 5000 people glowing with joy after our stop there on the inaugural (passengers and crew alike). As I told friends on the ship as we pulled away from MoBay: No more unanswered Jamaica-bashing on MY watch! :)

Tracy

They give a pueter plate to everyone, at least Platiunum members that we are. Your names engraved stating that on that date you sailed as the first passegers onboard Grand Princess, etc.

Do they typically give away personalized gifts and have fireworks on the maiden voyages of a cruise ship? What do other lines do to celebrate such an event? Just curious - never had the opportunity to be on a maiden voyage.

I think much of the confusion (and possible disappointment) people felt was because Royal Caribbean themselves were also calling the first revenue sailing the "maiden Voyage".

One example of RCI's stance that 6/4/06 was the maiden voyage: during the week we all received a certificate along with a picture (taken at one of the previous pre-inaugural celebrations) of the ship at night with fireworks in the sky above it. The certificate stated, in part, " Thank you for joining Royal Caribbean International on the maiden voyage of the newest, largest, and most innovative ship in the world".

If they were calling it the maiden voyage, why wouldn't we think it was the maiden voyage. With that kind of a hype people expected there would be lots of drama. We kind of thought that if they did all that stuff for the pre-inaugural sailings there would be even more for the so called maiden voyage.

Turns out that part of the confusion was that some of the drama was not put on by RCL after all but, by the places they were visiting. For instance, RCL did not put on the fireworks in New York (I think some of the fireworks were there). New York put them on as part of their hoopala for Freedom's visit to their City.

Unfortunately I think most of the people on board did not know that. During the sail away out of Miami you could feel the anticipation in the air as everyone crowded the rails. We were all craning our necks to look for "something" to happen. As the ship was advancing out of the channel people (I know we were) seemed to still be thinking, "okay ......... maybe they are going to have something as soon as we get out a little further". We were like a bunch of kids on Christmas morning looking under the tree and not finding anything.

That said, as Zotzer pointed out it was Montego Bay, Jamaica that really rose to the occasion and they really did themselves proud. Bravo, Montego Bay!!!!

Thank-you Nancy! This is what I've been thinking, have been trying to say and just couldn't quite put it into words. I didn't expect lots of "free" stuff I don't need more stuff but some more WOW would have been nice especially as we were leaving the port of Miami.

d

I remember reading about them from pre-inaugural cruisers and thinking "how bad can revolving doors be? These people are just nitpicking." But, one has to *experience* them to understand. LOL

They aren't just regular revolving doors...but some new menacing piece of engineering altogether! :confused:

T

O.K. now you have got me wondering about these revolving doors. Where excactly are they, am I going to encounter them alot and what are they doing?

Darlin,

They defy explanation. The strange thing is, the middle section can convert to regular swinging doors. When they are used in that set-up, egress is much easier.

Unless you want to go up and over, or down and around, you must go through these doors to get from the Windjammer to the pool area (and vice-versa). No practical way of avoiding them.

Tracy

O.K. now you have got me wondering about these revolving doors. Where excactly are they, am I going to encounter them alot and what are they doing?

The revolving doors are on deck 11, at the elevators between the pool deck and where you can go into the restaurants, WindJammer, Chops & Portofino.

d

Unless you want to go up and over, or down and around, you must go through these doors to get from the Windjammer to the pool area (and vice-versa). No practical way of avoiding them.

Well, actually there is if you are a man (or a brave woman). Confession time.....I started going through the men's room on the port side which has doors on both the inside by the elevators and out by the H2O Zone...totally bypassed the revolving door!

Well, actually there is if you are a man (or a brave woman). Confession time.....I started going through the men's room on the port side which has doors on both the inside by the elevators and out by the H2O Zone...totally bypassed the revolving door!

Very smart move!

Let me get this straight - you enjoyed the entire cruise, experienced the largest ship in the world, and you are disappointed...

...because you didn't get your free commemorative key chain?

Actually we were expecting more than a commemorative key chain - which we did get by the way, in the form of a stock photo of the ship from a preview cruise and a maiden voyage certificate. The "inaugural" cruise carried a premium on the fare as compared to subsequent cruises. Thus we paid more for this particular cruise, expecting it to be marked by unique things, and it just wasn't. Sort of like not getting everything you wanted under the Christmas tree. Sort of like ordering a 50th Anniversary Corvette and when it arrived the commemorative badge was missing from the dash board.

What is funny is that people who weren't even on the cruise with us are dwelling on this one disappointment more than we are.

Well Dave, my man! If those revolving things aren't resolved by December, the men will just have to get used to me barging through their rest room! Talk about a much more scenic route!! ROFL

Tracy

Thank-you Nancy! This is what I've been thinking, have been trying to say and just couldn't quite put it into words. I didn't expect lots of "free" stuff I don't need more stuff but some more WOW would have been nice especially as we were leaving the port of Miami.

d

You are welcome Diane. Thanks for responding as I was thinking I might get flamed for my post.

Well Dave, my man! If those revolving things aren't resolved by December, the men will just have to get used to me barging through their rest room! Talk about a much more scenic route!! ROFL

Tracy

Tracy: If only you could sail one week later in December we could skip through the men's room together!

Tracy: If only you could sail one week later in December we could skip through the men's room together!

Oh Nancy....NO WAY!!! When did you book?

After seeing my pictures yesterday, my brother and his family have decided to come along in December too!

Can't believe we are going to miss each other by a week!!

T

Archived