SIDE TRIP TO EDINBURGH & ST. ANDREWS GOLF COURSE

REDHAT SANDY

We will be in London for 7 days. Will there be time and what is the best way to take a side trip to Edinburgh?
I have one answer: take the GNER Mainline fast train from London King's Cross to Edinburgh, spend the night, and return.

The train ride alone, especially north of Newcastle (along the Firth of Forth etc) is worth the trip. And the service/cars in first class are very nice. Not quite the Eurostar, but close IMHO.

Believe it or not, I actually went up and back on the same day on my recent trip to the UK. I mostly wanted to just enjoy the train ride, but I still had about 3 hours to make a little loop around Edinburgh, which, frankly, doesn't appeal to me that much so I wasn't really disappointed.

Fares can very widely and are as low, I think, as 59 GBP return, first class.

Here's a little teaser website that is too abstract for my taste, but nonetheless:

http://www.gner.co.uk/fcop/flash4.html

Here's the main GNER website:

http://www.gner.co.uk/

Happy Travels,

Crouton

Sandy

There are many budget airline flights London - Edinburgh but the time travelling to and from airports and check-in times does not gain much time over the train. You might want to consider travel on the overnight sleepers London Euston - Edinburgh and return. Summer fares are around £135 (standard) and £185 (first class). They leave around 11.30pm and arrive about 7 am either way.

St Andrews is an hour's drive from Edinburgh. No train service. If you are a golf nut, stand on the stone bridge over the Swilken Burn on the 18th and I guarantee the hairs on the back of you neck will stand up! If you want to play the Old Course you need to submit your name(s) well in advance just to get in the ballot.

• 4 weeks later...

Sandy,

I've only just found out about Cruise Critics, hope I haven't missed your dates. The journey north of Edinburgh into the Kingdom of Fife is definitely worthwhile even if you don't get a game on the Old Course. I'm not a golfer but I love St Andrews and am lucky enough to live less than 45 minutes away. Most of the wee coastal towns between St Andrews and Leven have coastal scenery to match anywhere. On a sunny day (it happens!) anywhere from Elie to Largo is priceless. If you don't manage to get a tee-off time, there's never any play on the Old Course on a Sunday so you can wander round to your heart's content and visit the Swilken Bridge, the Road Hole and anywhere else on the course. The whole of East Fife is packed with high standard golf courses (several in St Andrews itself); maybe they lack the magic of the Old Course but given reasonable weather you'll have a terrific time. Enjoy!

Archived