Any Port besides GC that offers Stingrays?

We are trying to decide which ship to go on next year and one person in the group is sort of holding out for a particular cruise because it goes to Grand Cayman and she wants to do the stingrays. If I can find another port (or more than one) that offers stingrays – MAYBE, just MAYBE, we can convince her to try a different itinerary.

When I did the Spirit in 2002, in Belize they had a tour where you could swim with ( and I believe feed, I did not take this tour) stingrays and nurse sharks. To be sure, I suggest you check out the different shore tours on the Carnival web site.

I noticed you live about 30 minutes from me here in Texas. We live in Cleburne which is 30 minutes south of Fort Worth. If you're looking for something driving distance from you, Houston and Galveston are not the only close ports. Have you ever thought of going to New Orleans? It takes less than 8 hours to drive and it's well worth it. You could come a day or two early and really party it up in the french quarters. They really know how to have fun down there. It's the best port I've been to as far as partying and fun. Carnival has the Conquest down there. It goes to Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cozumel. These are 3 great ports. And this is a new ship that is really big. It's over 110,000 tons compared to the Elation's 70,000 tons. They even have bathrobes for you in every room. And this fall you can get an inside for as cheap as $499.00. You can't beat that price. I have never heard a negative review of this cruise. In fact, I've noticed that many people have gone on it 2 or 3 times. I thought I would throw that out there. You might suggest it to the group. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I've done all of the cruises close to the DFW area. So if you have any more questions, I check on the CC message boards every day and I'll try to help.

My family and I did snorkeled with the stingrays during a short cruise to the Bahamas. I've heard others report that the Nassau excursion isn't as neat as the GC excursion, but we didn't know any better and thought Nassau was great. It was 3 years ago, and my daughter still talks about it!

Judybest - Did you snorkel with the stingrays at Blue Lagoon or Pearl Island? I have seen both of these listed under Nassau excursions and we can't decide which one to do. Couldn't find a lot of information on the Ports of Call boards. Thanks

Terri

We have done the stingrays in Nassau and Grand Cayman. I have to say that the GC stingray tour was much better. When we did the Nassau version, there was literally only 2 sting rays and a lot of people. In GC, there are many many more sting rays. I don't know if that was the norm in Nassau or not.

Enjoy Your Cruise!

First - Do I really want to swim with stingrays in a place that has SHARK in the name? LOL

I didn't realize that the signatures are not showing up. We have done the Conquest and have sailed out of New Orleans 3 times. We are looking at doing Glory, Valor or Miracle.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check them out.

Anyone else?

Our Nassau snorkeling trip was at Blue Lagoon. And, I don't know where Chriz snorkeled, but there were lots of stingrays, including an albino stingray that the children were allowed to hold while their photo was taken. My DD still uses this picture as her screensaver. There were lots of people, but plenty of stingrays!

Archived