Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North: Dining options?

karen_g

Based on positive reviews on TripAdvisor, we have decided to stay at this hotel for 1 nite pre-cruise in January. I'll be travelling with my elderly Mom and was wondering if there are any casual restaurants within close walking distance? Nothing fancy needed, just somewhere for a relaxing dinner after a day of travelling. Any info would be most appreciated!

I'm glad to know that as well. I just changed our reservations from La Quinta to this Hampton Inn. I was a little worried that it might be tough to find someplace to eat after we arrived as there wouldn't be time to eat once we started flying.

We changed because 1. it was $2 cheaper, 2. I could get HHonors points for our stay and 3. they list Shuttle pick up/drop off for both the airport and the pier on Hilton's web site. Pier drop off could save me another couple of dollars on top of everything else so I consider that a big plus for just a one night stay.

Karen, I made a mistake. When I saw the word North, I thought of a different Hampton Inn. After looking at the HI website, the only place that I know of that's nearby is the excellent open 24 hours Lester's Diner. Ask the shuttle driver to take you. It's not a safe walking area.

You're also not that far from all the restaurants on SE 17th, but you might have to take a cab.

Taking a shuttle or a cab is no problem. I'm a little concerned about it being "not a safe walking area" though. Is this hotel in a bad neighborhood? I'm going the week before Superbowl next year, and prices everywhere are sky high. Hampton Inn is $189 and everywhere else that I checked is in the over $250 range (plus taxes etc). Still, I'd rather pay a little more than stay in an unsafe area. Let me know what you think...

It's not a tourist neighborhood. Just very basic. I don't know if it's unsafe, but there really is no reason to venture out on foot, and nothing really to venture to.

See if you can get Bequia to respond to your concerns.

Howard called it right, it borders a residential neighborhood about a block north of busy SR84. Nothing you would want to walk to nearby. Fine for a quiet night before your cruise.

Hi,

We stayed at this hotel (also the week after Superbowl in Miami) and were perfectly satisfied. We ate at the Subway in the little shopping mall next door, (other fast food as well) and there was also a german restaurant a little further on.

We never felt uncomfortable, lots and lots of cruise passengers in the vicinity, though the area seems to have a bad reputation to natives. There are a couple of new hotels and I think the tourist trade is helping the area to be nicer. Just be cautious-- as you should anywhere.

Su

Restaurants around this hotel became a moot point for us today. I finally bit the bullet and booked our flights, with the arrival into FLL just before 11:00 PM. Looks like we'll have to grab something on the way in if we want to eat dinner that night.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there are several Hampton Inns in the area. In post #2, signman mentionned the Bennigans and Chilis. But then he corrected himself in post #5. This particular Hampton Inn (2301 SW 12th Avenue) is NOT near a Bennigans or a Chilis. There is nothing right next to the hotel, but there is a Wendy's, McDonald's, and a Subway within walking distance (approx 1/2 mile I think I saw on a map). I think I have read that there is also a German restaurant within walking distance, but not right next door.

The shopping mall (or strip mall, it isn't much) is across the small street (12th?) and stretches away from the hotel. The fast food restaurants (and I believe also a supermarket) are in the small strip mall. McDonalds was closest and Subway furthest. At the far end of the shopping area and across the major street is the german restaurant. When we went it looked good and someone had recommended it but we didn't have time. The german restaurant might be about 1/2 mile, but the rest are less.

And yes cab or car would be needed to get to anything on 17th street.

The hotel has breakfast which was too late for our departure time, but it looked good, the hotel was well kept up and comfortable.

Su

Archived