Choosing Tours

Melmark

Hi all, need your help, have one wife and 2 boys(4 and 8) and wondering whats the best and not the best tours to do in Noumea and Vila. Would like a bit of free time to look around at the local shops, cafes etc.

Your guidance much appreciated!

...... have one wife ........

Only one?:D.

Sorry Mark, I just had to say that:p . I can't help you with your query though as we didn't go to Noumea & didn't do a tour in Vila. I'm sure someone will be able to help you though.

Karen

Hi Melmark,

Would suggest Le Petit Train in Noumea. It is a great tour with a good selection of the local sights. You also get a cool drink & French pastries at the top of one of the lookouts. We always have a lot of fun on this one and have done it a few times (usually when travelling with new people). There is a great atmosphere on the little train and you find that the locals will wave and smile at you!!

We don't usually do a tour in Vila as we usually take the time to shop! We usually catch a taxi into town (A$10) and spend the morning wandering around the shops. We have had a tour around the island one time where we negotiated a price with one of the locals. Another time we travelled over to Iririki Island for a look one time. I think the "ferry" was free. Although the resort was a little expensive it was a nice little trip and we enjoyed a "mini" break.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

For your childrens ages I would say Ekasup Cultural Village in Vila would be good.The tour is only a couple of hours and they will drop you off in main st where you will have plenty of time to look at shops. They were building a new market along the foreshore behind the shops. These were looking good.They are in a thatched roof style.

Can't think what to suggest for Noumea! We have done the Petit road/train but maybe think its a bit dull for kids.Also done the Aquarium but maybe a bit Passe' for kids these days.I think there is a new Cultural Centre maybe someone else may have done that?The shops themselves aren't much to walk around near the ship.Very Expensive to buy anything here as it has a high tax added

Hi Melmark, we did the Le Petit Train in Noumea, nice ride through the sights, kids may get a kick out of riding on a 'train'. It takes you up high enough to see most of Noumea and take good photos etc. The pastries are nice as well as the champagne or softdrinks. Popular so you would have to book. In Vila we got a taxi to town $2 each. You have to watch their prices, taxis are dearer than minibuses. The market in town is nice especially if they finish the new ones. Shops are ok best duty free is far end of main street on the left. Look around and decide for yourself about duty free. Compare because apprently it changes from time to time. We negotiated with a bus driver, Seth, to take us around the city for a look. He talked non stop so we heard plenty. Nice man though. We joined up with a couple we didn't know, there were 3 of us in our group, and we paid him $10 each so he was happy with $50. He drove us around for about 2 hours and then took us back to the ship. If you don't want to go into the town there are markets near the ship on the wharf which are 'ok'.

Archived