Tuxedo Rental Questions...

Weagle

What's eveyone's opinions on tuxedo rentals?

Is it better to rent on the ship or local and bring with you?

What are the pro's and con's of each?

I'm doing a cruisetour so if I rent local it'll be for a longer period of time than just the cruise itself.

Thanks for any input.

Few men on Alaska cruises wear tuxes on formal nights, so unless you're really into wearing them, don't bother with either. There is no need at all for one (or even a suit) on a cruisetour - life in Alaska is very casual.

Murray

I'm sorry, Murray, but I must respectfully disagree. On our Princess cruise last summer, most of the men wore tuxes on formal night.

I'm sure you are right about the cruise tour, and if packing light due to the length of his trip, renting (from the ship) may be the way to go. But if it's a matter of packing a suit, or a tux, I don't see the difference.

I guess it depends on the line, but on Princess, tux or dark suit is the "order of the day" for eating in the dinning rooms (on formal nights).

Personally, I bring my own, but I understand if you rent it's a pretty good deal - it will be hanging in your closet when you board ship, and the only suggestion is to try it on so if any alteration / substitutions are needed, they can be attended to while the ship is still is in it's departure port.

Murray,

I know you were on Radiance recently. What did the men wear for formal night if not tuxes and suits? My husband is thinking of renting a tux so he won't have to lug a suit around for the week after the cruise. We had a good experience renting in Mediterranean from the ship and thought that we would try it again.

Thanks,

D

Weaggle,

DH has his own tux, but after the weight allowance change for the airlines (from 70 lbs to 50). We've started finding it easier to rent. He has rented on Princess for Europe, Tahiti and Alaska (Alaska being just two weeks ago). He has never had a problem. This last cruise he liked the fit of the adjustable pants better then his own tux anyway. We still bring his own colored vests/ties, etc, to personalize things. We've rented several times for our son-in-law too and he has never had a problem either.

I agree, if you decide to rent, try everything on when you get it. I will say that on our Princess Alaska cruise, I did not see as many tuxes as I used to. Have a great time!!

Tammy

Thanks for the tips....and please keep them coming. As for me, personally, I'm leaning towards renting one on the ship. I won't have to worry about losing it in one of the transfers or unwrinkling it on the ship. I also won't have to rent it for a 2-week period (if I did so locally). The only benefit of renting one locally and brining it along is that I have more selection and the odds of meeting someone wearing the same is slim.

Sorry, but I also repectfully disagree with Yukon about dressing up on formal nights. My wife loves me to dress up from time to time and since this is for our anniversary I'm going all out to impress her. I'd also rather be over-dressed than under-dressed. I paid good money for this cruise and I know several others have also. I'll do my part in keeping the atmosphere appropriate.

We sail on Celebrity and Tuxes/dark suits are indeed the order of the day for formal nights. Last year my husband hated bringing a suit, a waste of valuable packing space due to weight allowances. So this year he's renting. I really feel this is the way to go for destinations such as Alaska. We will be packing very light for our independent land tour and agree with Murray 100%...no need to dress up during the land portion!

>>I know you were on Radiance recently. What did the men wear for formal night if not tuxes and suits?<<

On the 3 RCI Alaska crises I've been on, I doubt that more than 5% of the men wore tuxes. Suits have been the norm, but lots wear turtlenecks instead of ties, and there were lots of sports jackets.

Murray

I'm looking at renting the following from http://www.cruiselineformal.com/:

$85 Basic package (includes Jacket, Pants, 2 Formal Shirts, Cumberbund, Bow Tie, and Cufflinks/Studs)

$20 Vest and matching Bow Tie (optional)

$2.50 Minor Damage Insurance

Positives of renting on the ship

1) They have a tailor on the ship if anything does need altered.

2) They have a small inventory on the ship if something is completely messed up.

3) They will deliver the Tuxedos directly to your room prior to your boarding.

4) No worries about unpacking and unwrinkling anything.

5) No worries about losing an outfit in airline travels.

6) You return it to someplace on the ship the day before you disembark.

7) It's one less thing to haul around on pre or post-cruisetours (more room for souviners).

Negatives about renting on the ship:

1) You don't have as much variety as renting locally.

2) You can have it altered and fit before you ever board the ship.

Can anyone else think of any positives or negatives?

Weagle,

You might want to consider bringing your own braces, shirt, (and if you have a special one) tie or other accessories. That way you can do the "personalized" thing, but still make it easy on yourself.

Even when I've rented, I always had my own shirt. The ships laundry can wash it for you in a day, so you can just bring one of your choose.

Have a great cruise, and Happy Anniversary :)

weaggle,

If you do rent, don't "worry" if you get to your cabin and it's not hanging in the closet. It hasn't been for DH on our last two cruises, it was delivered later that night (if you don't get it - then call the Purser).

Also, at the end of the cruise, you just leave it in your cabin (on this last one, they asked that you leave it out for your cabin steward to pick up on the last day).

Have a great time.

Tammy

On my Princess Cruise about 20% Tuxes, Renting for on ship delivery saves a lot of packing hassle particularly if you have a land trip included.

I ordered on line and it was in my room when I showed up and removed after second formal night. Cost $85.

Seemed like an easy call to me

We have been on the Radiance when we went to the Virgin Islands. Atmosphere may be different on AK cruise I don't know. In any case - pretty much anything formal goes on formal nite. We rented & we are doing it again for AK trip so are all the other men in our group. Look - you do not have to drag a suit/dress shoes with you - that is a plus. It's right there in the room for you. Go with one of the dinner looking jackets instead or lose the cumberbun or the vest if you want. Basically - it looks like a nice suit, it beats dragging something along that you won't need.

Mark & Deb

Archived