Amsterdam City Center....Can Anyone Tell Me What It Is Like?

wishfulcruiser

Hi Everyone,

Arriving early morning in Amsterdam with embarkation at 4 pm this Sunday. We can visit the City Center to idle the hours and wondered what it is like and what is there to see. I viewed a travel DVD of Amsterdam but it did not mention the area. Soooo, I'm just curious if the area has benches to sit and people watch or shop.

Also, is anyone flying Continental from Newark, NJ to Amsterdam on 6/24? Our flight is Continental 70 departing at 6:40 pm. Transfer to MS Amadagio and then Magnificent Europe cruise!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any comments.:D

Hi! I know Amsterdam pretty well but am not sure where the cruise ships docks. If it's down near the central train station, there isn't a lot to recommend as it's a busy transport hub - trams come and go. Is there somewhere you can check your luggage and then go off and explore? If so, an easy way to get acquainted with the city is one of the canal cruises - there are several to choose from. Also, if you want to get a bit further afield, a tram ride to the Van Gogh museum is easy. (All the trams seem to start and end at the central train station area.) You might want to check with the very well-organized hotel service at the airport (after leaving customs) to see if a centrally located hotel is offering a really cheap rate - then you could go shower, nap and wander prior to embarking. I have used that service many, many times and it is dead easy. In fact, the Dutch have made everything easy - they have, after all, pushed back the Atlantic ocean!

wishfulcruiser: we did a river cruise in April r/t from & to Amsterdam. We arrived a day before embarkation day and the next morning, we took a cab to the ship, dropped off our our luggage at the ship and then took a day trip to Delft on our own. When we returned to the ship at about 4pm, to check-in, our luggage was in our cabin. We were on Viking, but hopefully you will be able to to drop off your luggage to do some sight-seeing on your own!

Our river cruise ship was docked at one pier for embarkation but used a different pier upon return to Amsterdam. If you face the Central Station from the city side, the normal river cruise ship pier is about a half-mile to the right; the other pier was about 3/4 mile to the left of Central Station.

The suggestion to do a canal tour is a good one--there are 2 canal boat cruise companies left-of-center of Central Station. Rick Steves' "Amsterdam 2006" guide offers a variety of waking tours on your own for a day in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is a very walkable and extremely interesting city-one of our favorite cities! Hope this helps you a bit! Have a great time!

Hi wishful,

Wishing you(or your mom and friend) a wonderful trip and beautiful weather so you can enjoy that upper deck on the boat. I will be anxious to compare notes with you on what you think of the Amadagio and all the interesting sights and places you will be traveling to.

Happy Trails,

Judy

The replys above pretty well cover everything.....Now my BUT...Take either a cab or the very easy to take train to the Central Station..Invest in a LOCKER or LOCKERs for your luggage and then go into the tourist information office for transit maps etc...In fact go there first! It is just inside and I believe to the left...Lockers are close by....You do not want to miss the Van Gogh or the Reiksmusem !!!...They are only 2 blocks apart and fabulous. Then walk back via "Leidesplein"...."Rembrandtsplein"...and the "Mundtplein"...Across from the Mundtplein You will see the Hotel D'Europe....Stop for lunch !....Canal tour boats are in front of the hotel and to the right as you face the Amstel...Tram to Central Station...TAKE A CAB TO YOUR BOAT and collapse. I love Amsterdam and go through it once or twice a year...Their airport[schipol] is one of the 2 or 3 best in the world....I personally like it better than Hong Kong or Singapore. Enjoy yourself.

Hi Again,

Just wanted to post a great big THANK YOU for all your wonderful ideas! 24 hours till lift off and the excitement couldn't be greater.

What is it like around the rivercruise ship dock area? Things to do & see?

At the Amsterdam airport...what is the arrival/customs procedure? Easy-to-read signs? Anyone departed from Budapest Airport? Easy/Hard?

Well, Mom is armed with info to 'conquer' the Rhine, Main and Danube thanks to cruisecritic.com. Thanks to ALL!!!!:D

A couple of other suggestions. The Heineken brewery tour is a lot of fun, even if you're not into beer. And if you are, you get samples and a nice parting gift. The canal cruise is great, but make sure it's not included in your trip (it was for us). You can walk to the flower market, which is beautiful, and pick up flowers to put in your room. When we were there (tulip season), you could get 50 tulips for 5 euros.

Also, you can do the Anne Frank house. It's a bit crowded on the weekend, but worth the wait. The tour through the house takes about 30 minutes.

I did the Delft trip this past time when I had the day to "kill" before my cruise left, but I'd also been to Amsterdam five times previously. You can buy see and buy real Delft in a number of high end stores in Amsterdam and the factory is interesting but not the most exciting thing you'll eve see. Thus, if I were you and had not seen Amsterdam, I'd spend my time in the city.

BTW, you should be able to leave your luggage on the ship -- much easier than a locker.

The river boat docks are uninspiring!...The Heinekin tour is great. The flower market spoken of is at the Mundtplein on the canal...Good suggestion....Schipol is the finest and easiest airport in the world in my opinion. Customs etc. is easy and fast. The baggage pick up is convenient with lots of FREE carts ! Fast too ! There is a train station in the airport very close to where you come out of customs and is very very easy to use to get into town...Low cost and fast!...

It depend what dock the riverboat will be.

Ann Frank will be abt. 15/20 minutes walk.

Check the map I referred to in an earlier posting.

There is a tramconnection from central station to Westerkerk (nr. 14?), from there 2/3 minutes walk.

Go early to avoid long lines.

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

Schiphol-amsterdam airport - is one of the easiest airports with many facilities.

http://www.schiphol.nl

Distance depends on where your boat is docked. One pier is very close to the city center (right across from the train station). Another puts you a 10-15 min walk from the train station. There's no way to know where you'll be until you get there as docking assignments can change at the last minute.

In any event, Amsterdam city center isn't that big. The Anne Frank house is a good 20 min walk from the central train station. Or, as the poster above said, you can take a tram to within a couple of blocks. You probably will want to take a tram to Heineken, which is very close to the Rijksmuseum, BTW.

If you want to do both, do Heineken first as the lines are short right when they open (around 10, I believe) and the lines at Anne Frank are long in the morning.

Also, if you're not actually sailing that night (if, like many cruises, you spend the first night in Amsterdam) consider going to Anne Frank late in the day -- that's when lines are shortest.

We visited the Anne Frank House after dinner, about 7pm: absolutely no line, walked right in, no waiting.

Also, we strolled the Leidesplein back from the Rijksmuseum and it was delightful as was the Rembrantsplein.

The other posters are correct about Schipol-great facility and very "user friendly" Signage is plentiful and easy to understand. You can easily catch a train from the airport to Central Station, but there are shuttle van services available as well.

Thank you all for all the helpful advice. Looks like walking is the way to go.

Our cruise will end in Amsterdam and from what I've read on other's reviews it will be late morning before we arrive. Hopefully in October the lines will be shorter and also in the afternoon. DH really wants to see Ann Frank's house so as long as we do get in, even with a line, he will be happy.

Look at all of the truly good information you have received !!!..INE gave some real good links....The suggestion to do a late afternoon visit to Anne Franks was a really good tip. The tram to West Kirk lets you off a very short 1 1/2 block from Anne Franks....I always enjoy my yearly visits to Amsterdam....For lunch you may want to consider "The Three Flies" on one of the canals...Herengracht ???...Have fun.

Amsterdam is a truly diverse and charming city.

Just to add a few other suggestions, if I may. We stayed at the Amstel InterContinental Hotel, which is a very upscale, magnificent property overlooking the Amstel River.

We did two day walking tours - one tour around Amsterdam, the other tour through Delft and Haarlem with Ab Walet, a fantastic guide recommended through Rick Steves. We had two very memorable days with Ab, who really loves what he does and takes you to many off-the-beaten path areas. Here is his contact information: abwalet@yahoo.com

If interested in the Anne Frank House and museums, may I suggest you contact your hotel Concierge and they can get tickets for you, ready when you arrive. No lines to contend with doing it this way.

Try Indonesian cuisine while in Amsterdam. It's outstanding and fairly similar to Thai food. We dined at Tempoe Deloe (sp?) and had an incredible dining experience. Try their rice table, which is a selection of all their signature dishes.

Another great restaurant was Sluiser (sp?). Small restaurant catering primarily to locals.

Enjoy your cruise and stay in Amsterdam and try to visit Delft and Haarlem if time allows. You won't be disappointed.

This map will help you too I think:

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/b5.php

Riverships usually dock around the north side of central station.

This is the website for public transport in amsterdam:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/touristguide/index.html

On the southside of central station there is an old white wooden building, where you can get more info and buy tickets. (daycards etc.)

Single tickets are for sale in bus or tram too.

My Mom and friend are now on board the MS Amadagio...haven't heard any news yet....but will try to keep you informed. Amsterdam is slowly being left as they sail to Cologne, Germany.

Anyone know of any GREAT live streaming webcams along the Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers? I've been checking and find that there are many. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who have responded with very excellent posts.:D

Archived