Norwegian Wind really that bad?

paulabr

My husband and I went on the Wind Oct 5th-15th of 2005, I believe (It was a day or so after my 21st birthday on October 3) I didn't really enjoy myself because it is definately geared more towards seniors, in my opinion.

The emergency alarm went off at like 11:00 pm when we were 1 day out to Fanning Island. It scared to poop out of me, here I'm thinking a Titanic scenario is about to play out, but luckily it was a false alarm. I wish they had explained to us a bit sooner why the alarm went off that night.

Basically the alarm thing was actually kind of funny looking back on it because it was definately something to tell the friends and family about. But at the time I didn't find it funny at all.

As for what I liked and disliked I thought the service was SUPERB as well as the food in the 2 nicer resteraunts. Just don't go to the Sport's Bar to eat and expect anything good there. That was the only eatery we absolutely didn't like. The food at the 2 nicer resteraunts was excellent and even things that sounded a bit too cultured and gourmet for us were delicious, we never had anything bad. The for the most part wait staff were wonderful except one male waiter was a bit on the not so good side. Our housekeeper dudes were cool (can't remember their names the one started with a C it was a cool name) we had the pleasure of speaking with them a few times briefly and they were cool guys. They did an excellent job, no complaints.

What we both (the husband and myself) disliked was the poor excuses for so-called entertainment There was a comedian who entertained us a few times and he was a funny guy but we went to most of the evening shows and the comedy was the only entertainment we enjoyed. We wished there was a night club for the younger crowd, the disco was lame so we usually chilled with Jose & Patti. They were good singers and usually it wasn't very busy in that lounge. We really liked that because we truly could enjoy one another's company. The crafts were fun but I wish there were more activities to enjoy. :(

The ship itself smells gross but that's easy to ignore as our cabin itself didn't smell bad just the in the halls and on the decks. You can definately tell it's a little older and more run down but it didn't really bother us.

If you're a drinker definately hit the free margarita and daiquiri samplings!

I don't think we'll sail NCL again unless we do it just for our Lattitudes discount. We'll see how this upcoming Princess cruise goes but right now I'm not wanting to sail NCL just because of the not so great entertainment. I realize most cruises are geared towards the middle-aged adults and that's cool but The Wind seriously was not even geared to people in their 40s and 50s I'd say you'd have to be 60+ to enjoy it!

Don't worry, though it isn't terrible, at least from my experience. And the ports were definately worth it, Fanning Island is gorgeous I can't say enough how I'm glad I bought the getaway excursion to Nepali Beach, it's well worth it so definately take advantage of that just be warned that if you do it then expect a little hike from where the tender boat lets you off to the actual beach. A lot of people complained about that walk.

to Planers Edge - Apology accepted, lol! It was category BA and the balcony not obstucted, but it was TINY, I think less than 50 sq ft. Since it was our first time with a balcony, it seemed wonderful to us! What was also nice, it had the metal bars, not that darn plexi glass that warps your view of the water. On our last trip we did have a slight fuel/sewage smell, but only as we disembarked. But I think other posters have said it very well - it all comes down to your attitude when you get on board. Each cruise has been a learning experience for us, from the type of ships we like, to the ports we enjoy and that (to us) is what cruising is all about!

We booked a cruise on the Norwgian for Jan of 07, but everything I read on this ship is terrible? Has anyone had a good time on this ship?:confused: How can A ship be that bad and stay in service?

------

We sailed the Wind Nov. 26 - Dec. 7, 2005. We loved it! The trip to Fanning Island was an experience of a lifetime. All cruiselines get good/bad reviews. The Wind is not a new ship, but they keep it spotless. I don't know what people expect when they book a cruise---young jet set entertainment, dressing to the nines nightly, being waited on hand and foot, or what! I feel many don't do the research in checking out each ship and what it has to offer. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. Just got off the POH, and what some people on the ship said about certain restaurants happened to be our favorites, so, go figure. And, I am going to sail on the Dream Sept. 20 for transatlantic trip. The Dream is a sister ship to the Wind, and if it is anything at all like the Wind in service, style, and comfort, I will be rewarded a third time by NCL.

Pat

To add my 2¢ worth -- I was on the Wind last October (11-day cruise), and was initially a bit apprehensive because my previous experiences with NCL had only been on the larger ships (Star/Dawn/Jewel), and I was unsure what to expect on a somewhat older, smaller ship. My fears where groundless.

The Wind behaved herself beautifully during very rough weather, and onboard service ranged from good to outstanding. The restaurants were fine (except for the Sports Bar, which I detested), and the entertainment was better than I had expected -- expecially in the Observatory Lounge. Cabin facilities were clean and well-maintained, as were the ship's public spaces as well. The crew is absolutely superior, especially the concierge (the best I've ever seen on any ship).

I've heard rumors that the Wind may be leaving the NCL fleet next year, and I'd like to take another cruise on the Wind because of my good experiences last fall.

We sailed the Wind over New Year’s 2005-2006. As this was our first cruise we have nothing to compare it with. Others in our party had cruised before and found the Wind to be very good.

Here are some of the things I liked about the Wind.

*The challenge of finding new ways around the ship.

*The lack of rock climbing walls, bowling alleys and other similar entertainment.

*A friendly, caring crew, although the servers responsible for bar service could have been slightly more attentive at meals to those in our party who had soda cards.

*The chance to try food prepared in ways I would not prepare it at home or probably go to restaurants that would. (I really enjoyed the chicken stuffed with shrimp mousse in LeBistro.)

*The four days at sea and visit to Fanning Island. (Yes, we did spend New Year's Day on Fanning Island. I hope to go back there some day.)

*The Hawaiian culture interpreter and lei making workshops on sea days. I heard several comment about the hula classes being very good also.

*The butler bringing coffee every morning without reminding or reordering. (We were in a deck 8 Penthouse suite.)

*A wide variety of activities—low and high energy—available on sea days.

*The “homey” feeling of the ship that really allowed me to relax, unwind and renew.

We did not have the maintenance problems a April 2006 sailing had or even the problems reported on the two sailings before ours. Hopefully its spring dry dock cleared up those problems. So far, I haven't read about these problems on the Alaskan cruises.

Amen to all of the above.

Our time on the Wind Nov. 26 - Dec. 7 was an unforgettable experience. Fanning Island is a must see. We were also in a penthouse on deck 8, and we had 2 butlers, 2 room stewards, and a concierge at our beck and call. That alone was enough to spoil us.

Hope others not looking for the wild night life consider this ship. It is like a "grand old lady" we were told and we agreed to that, too.

Pat

Archived